The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem with Forumotion.com domain after setting Cname

3 posters

Go down

In progress Problem with Forumotion.com domain after setting Cname

Post by Lexy1 March 6th 2012, 6:08 pm

I have an own domain name purchased elsewhere. I set it for my forum here. My custom domain name works, but the problem is that your system didn't disable the original domain name that was given to me by Forumotion on sign up (it is a .forumn.org address). This way now Google is indexing my site both with my custom and my Forumotion.com domain. I only added my custom domain to Google, but it somehow found the .forumn.org domain name as well. And the .forumn.org domain doesn't even redirect to my custom domain, so if visitors arrive to my site through the .forumn.org domain, they will think that is the domain name of my site, and won't know about my custom domain, that should be the intended address. I also fear about that I will get penalty in Google because the search engine will think I made 2 sites with duplicated content, and that often results in penalty in Google and your site won't rank well. How can this be set that my .forumn.org address would redirect to my custom domain name, or how could I disable the .forumn.org address so that Google stop indexing it?
Lexy1

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Problem with Forumotion.com domain after setting Cname

Post by MrMario March 6th 2012, 11:14 pm

Hello,

Sorry, you cannot remove the Forumotion domain. If you want the one you bought to be redirected to you need to buy a Forumotion domain name, as you have the option.

MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexy1 March 6th 2012, 11:21 pm

It would have been useful to mention this in your domain setting guide. Then I don't buy the domain name elsewhere. bwi
Lexy1

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario March 6th 2012, 11:23 pm

That's why we have a FAQ fufufu
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexy1 March 6th 2012, 11:30 pm

And where is this problem mentioned here?:
https://help.forumotion.com/t7021-redirect-an-extern-domain-name-that-you-own-to-your-board

This is the section for outer domain name, I don't find a line about this problem.
Lexy1

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario March 6th 2012, 11:42 pm

Sorry its there. Not much we can do. Sorry.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexy1 March 7th 2012, 12:35 am

You are tricky, man. Fool others. You have just added it:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Ti9u7TLL79wJ:help.forumotion.com/t7021-redirect-an-extern-domain-name-that-you-own-to-your-board+&cd=1&hl=hu&ct=clnk&gl=hu

You should have added it when you made that tutorial, not now. In Google varios pages of my site are indexed for 1 domain, and other pages for the other, custom domain. It is full crap. I would have purchased the domain from you, if you mention this, but now I spent my money uselessly, and also the work I spent on my forum so far. Thanks! You are gorgeous! Hello
Lexy1

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario March 7th 2012, 2:10 am

Yes I just added it. I was suppose to say "Sorry its there now" but somehow "now" got removed :/

MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow March 7th 2012, 11:55 am

Hello ! Smile

Effectively, you don't have the option to redirect your forum's first URL to your domain name when you purchased it somewhere else. Sad

About the duplicate content, I just want to add that even if it can affect your SEO, it's not a blacklisting. You don't risk at all to be removed from the SERP.

Thank you Wink
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexy1 March 7th 2012, 2:00 pm

Leeloo wrote:Hello ! Smile

Effectively, you don't have the option to redirect your forum's first URL to your domain name when you purchased it somewhere else. Sad

About the duplicate content, I just want to add that even if it can affect your SEO, it's not a blacklisting. You don't risk at all to be removed from the SERP.

Thank you Wink

Yes. It is only risking my page ranking. Of course it is not a priority for anyone to appear on the first page in the Google search index. So why worry about it? Appearing on the 24-25th page in Google search because of duplicate content penalty is still totally okay Rolling Eyes
Lexy1

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow March 7th 2012, 2:11 pm

This is not what I meant. I just wanted to make this point clear.
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down