The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

auto subscribe for new users

3 posters

Go down

auto subscribe for new users Empty auto subscribe for new users

Post by Flappypaddles May 5th 2012, 1:51 pm

I have looked at the thread previously about this
https://help.forumotion.com/t107056-new-registered-users-auto-subscribe-to-group?highlight=auto+subscribe+to+group

and read the tutorial
https://help.forumotion.com/t57913-auto-subscribe-to-groups

however I would like to have my new members post in a section that is not visible to the rest of my members until I have determined if they are trolls. Sadly I have a group of 3 or 4 people who seem intent on causing trouble and disruption.
the info in the tutorial is quite helpful apart from the fact it needs to use the auto subscribe function from zero and when I have done that in a trial it just adds everyone on the forum, and the point is I do not want the rest of the forum being exposed to the rubbish these trolls spout.
Is there any way that you can set a maximum number of posts that will get auto added to a group.
also if I set it to 1 post it means the new posters cannot post anyway as I do not let normal members post, they have to be added to members group after their initial post.
At the moment the only way new members can post is by adding themselves to the new members group and waiting for me to validate their request. As I do not have moderators it depends on when I am online as to how long they have to wait to post their first post.

alternatively is there a way to auto unsubscribe people from groups?
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Language : english

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

auto subscribe for new users Empty Re: auto subscribe for new users

Post by Derri May 5th 2012, 5:32 pm

Okay so here is what I did for new members.

I created a group for new members and one for members and when I created the "members group" I set the post count to auto subscribe to that group as one as usually the first post would of been the troll post.

So when they sign up they go into the "new members" and after they make the first post they move into the "members" section. I did it so people would introduce themselves to the forums and it seems to have worked.

Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles May 5th 2012, 6:33 pm

Derri wrote:Okay so here is what I did for new members.

I created a group for new members and one for members and when I created the "members group" I set the post count to auto subscribe to that group as one as usually the first post would of been the troll post.

So when they sign up they go into the "new members" and after they make the first post they move into the "members" section. I did it so people would introduce themselves to the forums and it seems to have worked.

I an understand that and it certainly works, but I don't want my regular members to be able to see the new peoples posts which is where it all falls down unfortunately as while you can set a minimum number of posts you can't set a maximum so everyone gets added to the new members group, every so often I clear out the members of that group, but with autosubscribe they all get added again.
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri May 5th 2012, 7:10 pm

Well you could create a forum for new members and keep it hidden from the people who are true members of the forums.

To do that you need to go into your members group and turn off the seeing and the post access in the forum you don't want them to see.

I think you might have to just manually add them to certain groups. Because what your describing is not all that possible I don't think.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles May 6th 2012, 12:32 pm

Derri wrote:Well you could create a forum for new members and keep it hidden from the people who are true members of the forums.

To do that you need to go into your members group and turn off the seeing and the post access in the forum you don't want them to see.

I think you might have to just manually add them to certain groups. Because what your describing is not all that possible I don't think.

this is what I am doing at the moment.
I think you are probably right about having to add them manually or at least validate there requests to teh group.
Perhaps I should suggest that they include and option for self validation on open groups

Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri May 6th 2012, 3:30 pm

I don't think there is a way for what you are suggesting. The way I do it is I make them make there first post in the only forum they can see. Then once they make that post they are auto moved to the full members group. So I think will just have to move them manually.

However feel free to make a suggestion in the appropriate forum section.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles May 6th 2012, 5:32 pm

Derri wrote:I don't think there is a way for what you are suggesting. The way I do it is I make them make there first post in the only forum they can see. Then once they make that post they are auto moved to the full members group. So I think will just have to move them manually.

However feel free to make a suggestion in the appropriate forum section.

I want to avoid auto adding them to the main group as I use the hidden section to weed out the trolls, they are usually easy to spot.

It is not a big problem for me as it is not like I have hundreds registering every day, but means the new members have to wait until I see they have registered in order for them to post.
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 May 7th 2012, 1:08 pm

Hi,

No, there is not a way to auto-unsubscribe users. Your doing the best method at the moment for your situation. Wink
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum