The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Domain/Hosting Help

2 posters

Go down

Domain/Hosting Help Empty Domain/Hosting Help

Post by nathan1978 28/6/2012, 21:27

Hi

Please accept my humblest apologies for this post as I'm sure it been asked before but I don't quite understand the answer. I can navigate around the forum/admin but I am in no way savvy when it comes to online technology and lingo.

Basically I have already created my forum. I have purchased 2 domain names (1 for my own website, and 1 for my forum) and hosting as the company allowed hosting of up to 10 sites. I have a registered name for the forum and want to direct, use that name, for the forum I have created. Is that possible as I have only just discovered that forumotion do hosting but you obviously don't offer the opportunity for multiple sights.

I really have tried to read up on this issue but seem to be getting confused.

Also, and off topic. I have just posted a link to some documents via sendspace and when I enter it in the post it shows as removing the http/www and when clicked it takes me to some ad page. Am I being thick but why does that happen??? I tried with another link on a drop box account and it displayed the link as just a normal link that I can click on and it will take me straight to the page.

any help to this willing novice would be much appreciated.
nathan1978

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Domain/Hosting Help Empty Re: Domain/Hosting Help

Post by Sanket 29/6/2012, 05:35

Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan1978 29/6/2012, 07:14

Hi

Thank you for this and yes I have looked at this but the note at the bottom says:

Buying a external domain name will not allow you to redirect your Forumotion sub domain to your external domain.

I'm not sure I quite understand what this means. Could you clarify for me? What a Face
nathan1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket 29/6/2012, 10:06

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdomain

Simply put, if you have a domain www.xyz.com

You cannot have a subdomain such as www.123.xyz.com
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766