The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Password Changes and Login IPs

5 posters

Go down

Solved Password Changes and Login IPs

Post by rainbowstar September 24th 2012, 9:29 am

We've been having some suspicious activity on our small, private board of approx. 75 members. Apparently, at least one member has been changing their password since Sep. 1st and allowing one/few non-members log in on that account to browse our private posts. They have then been referencing this information on other places online.

Since these outsiders don't seem to have posted, we couldn't find any suspicious or unusual IP addresses. We'd like to find and ban this member.

Would it please be possible somehow to obtain a list from Forumotion or our Admin CP outlining which users have done password changes since Sep. 1st? Of course, we don't need to know their passwords or anything like that, but just the username information for those who have changed their passwords this month after their initial registration. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: What kind of recourse do I have for this issue now? Is there a way to access a log of login IPs?

Last edited by rainbowstar on September 26th 2012, 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
rainbowstar

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Password Changes and Login IPs

Post by SLGray September 24th 2012, 9:33 am

Sorry there is not a way to give you a list of password changes. Even if you had one and ban the accounts that have changed their passwords, you would be banning your members, too.

Password Changes and Login IPs Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51464

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by darkgoku September 24th 2012, 9:36 am

plzlink ur forum
darkgoku
darkgoku
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbowstar September 24th 2012, 10:14 am

Thanks for your help, guys.

We have narrowed down a few suspicious members, but had wanted to see if we could pinpoint if they made password changes this month.

Last edited by rainbowstar on September 25th 2012, 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total
rainbowstar

Back to top Go down

Post by levy September 24th 2012, 10:19 am

This is imposible at Forumotion.
levy
levy
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2632
Language : English, Romanian

https://portofolio.goodforum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbowstar September 26th 2012, 3:35 am

What kind of recourse do I have for this issue? Is there a way to access a log of login IPs?
rainbowstar

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk September 26th 2012, 6:56 pm

rainbowstar wrote:What kind of recourse do I have for this issue? Is there a way to access a log of login IPs?

In the mebers post you suspect of sharing his pass so others can log in.
Click on the ip option in the post , then you will see all other ip addresses that have been from that account.
if you have many different ip addresses there from different parts of the country or world, then you will know that it's it. I would just ban the whole account and block all ip you have.
But thats just me.

Other then that there is really no way of preventing someone form doing this, However it is kind of stupid because it will only be a matter of time before one of these pople logging change the pass and lock the orginal members account out along with all others that have looged in to it.

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbowstar September 26th 2012, 7:07 pm

Thanks, Kirk. We`ve done an extensive search since it`s a small board, but it looks like they`ve covered their tracks well and made sure the outsiders didn`t post on their account.

So we`ve run into a roadblock with the post IPs, but we know we can figure it out by cross-checking a log of login IPs. Is there some way to retrieve from Forumotion or the Admin Panel this log for our board We know where several of the outsiders live, and also IPs of the current posters, so with this kind of log, it`ll be easy to pinpoint the unusual login IP for the member.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
rainbowstar

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk September 26th 2012, 7:19 pm

if they did not post anything from the acount you will not see what other ip have been used for the account. there would be no way to see who has logged in from any given ip.

You can see ip addresses of members that are looged in the forum when they are online, but other then that, no way to know what different ip are used for logging in unless they have posted.

So i guess you just have to use your best judement. If you suspect a member dioing this then you will probly just be better off banning the account.

As far as forumotion, they are not obligated nor would they retrive and supply any such infoation as you are requesting. That is probly the not the answer you are looking for but thats abaout the best i can provide as far as ip info of others logging in.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbowstar September 26th 2012, 7:32 pm

Thank you, Kirk! I figured that might be the answer, but thought I`d verify. Thanks for all your help.
rainbowstar

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray September 26th 2012, 11:40 pm

Topic Solved & Locked

Password Changes and Login IPs Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51464

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down