The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fighting human spam

4 posters

Go down

Solved fighting human spam

Post by Guest February 8th 2013, 11:25 am

I get members who post links to competing forums and they try to be sly about it. Usually they reference the urls for threads on those other forums. Ive set my forum to block links from new members .

I've also blocked links via word censoring.
eg..
word: competitor1.com*
replaced by: link removed

What do you guys think about using word censoring to block domain names? Is there a better way to keep people from stealing members?

Last edited by adukes_007 on February 11th 2013, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Solved by Kirk...)

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: fighting human spam

Post by ANGrey February 8th 2013, 11:50 am

You could administer warnings/bans to people who do it. As far as automatic, I think the only thing you could do would be to enable the Admin Panel thing where users can't post links for 7 days.
ANGrey
ANGrey
Forumember

Female Posts : 400
Language : English

http://ninjascrolls.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy February 8th 2013, 4:27 pm

Hello,

The best way is to block posting of external links for 7 days after a guest has registered as suggested above to avoid any intention of advertising from a new member, you can also hire more moderators and enforce rules about posting links, which will be able to remove spam/external link post as soon as possible for your forum. Wink
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by niji666 February 9th 2013, 12:11 am

Let them do it just filter it to a single forum of 'other links'. I know this doesn't sound good but it will work in your favor. The more links to other site's you have on your site helps you move up the ranks in google.

Your reference's to the other sites will be taken into consideration as the bots search your site, then when someone Google's something that's on your site as well as theirs, your site will dominate theirs in the ranks because you have the information and their reference but all they have is the information.
niji666
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 11th 2013, 9:06 am

The whole thing has me bummed out. People on my site just sit around and talk aboutwhat goes on with the other forum sites. I blocked the outgoing links and now everyone is mad.

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 11th 2013, 9:21 am

adukes_007 wrote:The whole thing has me bummed out. People on my site just sit around and talk aboutwhat goes on with the other forum sites. I blocked the outgoing links and now everyone is mad.

Well i don't know what your forum is about. But if you have a lot of members and they are active on your forum, i don't think you have to worry about them not returning to your forum, I mean you have to understand forum people are forum people. They most likely belong to several forums and go to the most they like often. I mean if you feel that it is nothing but spam and you are indeed losing members because of it, then yes i would not allow it, but if they are basically just discussing the sites and still remain active on your forum. Then may be it is not a big deal and you would be better off just allowing it, If the members are getting mad that it is no longer allowed, thus taking away what they enjoy on your forum, then you can lose members that way as well.

So you just have to try to see what is better for your forum and it's members and try to be as fair as you can, The old saying goes, if it is not broke then there is no need to fix it. But i can understand where you are coming from for sure, A lot of things are always like damned if you do damned if you don't.

But remember, if you have active members or your forum that have been there for a while, chances are they will continue to return and stay active regardless of other forums they are discussing,go to, or belong to.

For what it worth i hope that helps a little bit Very good
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum