The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do I need to do in order to allow a group to alter parts of the RPG module?

Go down

What do I need to do in order to allow a group to alter parts of the RPG module? Empty What do I need to do in order to allow a group to alter parts of the RPG module?

Post by Durzan February 9th 2013, 7:27 pm

Okay, so My forum's main purpose is to host games of Forum Mafia, and I am seeking a way to make it easier for my game narrators to edit information as necessary.

Edit: My forum address is shadowgamesunleashed.forumotion.com

As part of the way I wish to play the games, I want each player to have some stats to make the game easier to play. Each player should have a list of how much in-game money they have, an inventory to store items that they can buy with the money, a status bar that tells them if they are alive or dead, a field list that tells them what role they are, a field list which faction they are aligned with, a text box that acts as a quick reference to their role's special abilities and bonuses, and yet another status bar which tells the players which variation of the game they are currently playing in. Most of these stats should not be editable by the players.

At first glance, the above list could easily be accomplished using the RPG module, but that won't work. You see, as near as I can tell, a person's character sheet can only be modified by the Admin or by the player to whom it belongs. This wouldn't work, as I need the people hosting each game to be able to modify the character sheet of whoever is playing their game, and that is the underlying core of the problem. I could add special fields to the profiles to accomplish the same result, but then I would run into the same problem, although it would be a little bit closer to what I am looking for.

I have already taken the first step needed to pull it off, but I am not sure what to do from here. I started off by creating a new user group called "Narrators." The Narrators will be designated people who I trust who will run the games of Mafia.

If I figure out a way to make the RPG module, or parts of the profile, able to be edited by the user group "Narrators", then the entire problem is solved, and this will make keeping track of the games much much easier.

If you guys could help me, that would be great.

Thank You,

Durzan

If this is the wrong area for this thread, I am sorry, and please delete it.
Durzan

Language : English

Back to top Go down

What do I need to do in order to allow a group to alter parts of the RPG module? Empty Re: What do I need to do in order to allow a group to alter parts of the RPG module?

Post by Durzan February 11th 2013, 3:49 pm

Rideem3 wrote:You're basically asking us to build a site for you. We don't offer that kind of service here. You said that the purpose of creating a forum was to:
My forum's main purpose is to host games of Forum Mafia, and I am seeking a way to make it easier for my game narrators to edit information as necessary.

The reason someone should create a forum is to manage an actual forum and not to use it for hosting games.

I think that you need an actual website of which you can manage completely on your own.

Thank you for what help you could offer. I think I understand what you are saying. I am not asking for a separate service, I am asking to see if a service already in place (the Character Sheet) can have the settings altered to do what I am tryin to accomplish. I am not asking anyone to do anything to alter the programming, although such a thing would be helpful.

First off, I am not really looking for a website to host a game, and I do not wish to fork out the cash to start a website at this time. (It is a good suggestion, however.) When I said...

My forum's main purpose is to host games of Forum Mafia, and I am seeking a way to make it easier for my game narrators to edit information as necessary.

If you are I was simply stating the theme for the forum is gaming. I did not say that the purpose of creating a forum in general is for creating games. I said that MY primary purpose was to create a forum specifically geared for forum games. (Mainly Forum Mafia.) Perhaps I just used bad wording. Sad

Why would I create a forum if I didn't intend to manage it in the first place? Also, Why would I create a forum for no reason what-so-ever? I just don't randomly create something just to have it there, there is usually to be a reason. My reason is, in part, that I intend to use it to host games that are designed specifically to be played on a forum. These games involve extensive talking and PM's which a normal website wouldn't be initially configured to handle.

Forums are made to allow people to chat about certain things, right? What I have done is set up a forum primarily for text based gaming. Chatting about other stuff in another purpose for it, but not its main focus.

The problem that I post is one that would make the management of the game a little bit easier. If I can configure a character sheet to where certain fields are visible only to the owner of the character sheet, and Administrators, Moderators, and Narrators. Since Forum Mafia is a game of deception, this would come in handy management wise. I could have data kept on the site that is unique to that player and that only he and the Narrator could access

What I am essentially wanting to know is if I able to do this one thing:
Hide specific fields in a person's character sheet from all other players except for: the owner of said character sheet, a certain custom group that I have made, Moderators, and Administrators. I also wish to allow these hidden fields to be edited by this custom group.

If that is possible it would be really helpful, if not, then, I can work around that, it just means that things would require a little bit of off-site work for data storage, and it would require individual players to have to remember certain bits of information constantly.

Again, I thank you for your time you spent addressing this inquiry.
Durzan

Back to top Go down

What do I need to do in order to allow a group to alter parts of the RPG module? Empty Re: What do I need to do in order to allow a group to alter parts of the RPG module?

Post by Durzan February 18th 2013, 6:57 pm

I have read through it. I am familiar with the RPG Module. As it stands now, all fields in the RPG module are blaring for the whole world to see if you pull up the character sheet. What I like for it to be able to do is allow me to hide fields from most players, allowing access to view these hidden character sheet fields based on the player's group.
Durzan

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum