The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not able to leave a forum

4 posters

Go down

In progress Not able to leave a forum

Post by dancegirl84 July 28th 2013, 3:42 am

I am trying to use the unsubscribe link to leave a forum that I belong to, even though everything goes through fine I do not receive the email with the link.

I then checked my profile and the forum owner has changed my e-mail address to include two full stops.

The natural thing to do would be to create an email account which matches but the two full stops render this invalid.

How can I stop the forum owner keeping me on the forum against my will?
dancegirl84
Forumember

Male Posts : 35
Language : English

http://flapado.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Not able to leave a forum

Post by SLGray July 28th 2013, 4:24 am

Please read this - https://help.forumotion.com/t1526-account-deletion-administrators-obligations . Also give the link to the founder of the forum that you want to leave.

Not able to leave a forum Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51482

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 28th 2013, 6:02 pm

I know the forum you are referring to though I won't name it here. With all due respect, I think you have got it all wrong. 

The admin would not change a members email address, he has no reason to. It could be you changed your email yourself though don't remember,the email you changed it to.

Why do you want to delete your account anyway? If you don't want to be on that forum, simply don't log in anymore. You can also remove some of your profile information from your profile, if you don't want them to be public.

Back to top Go down

Post by dancegirl84 July 28th 2013, 6:32 pm

:/ 
Not able to leave a forum Y9vw
dancegirl84
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 28th 2013, 8:45 pm

Well I have just come from that forum and the admin had changed your username and deleted your profile details. So he has deactivated your account. So I think the problem is solved.

Back to top Go down

Post by dancegirl84 July 29th 2013, 2:43 pm

Andrea Borman wrote:Well I have just come from that forum and the admin had changed your username and deleted your profile details. So he has deactivated your account. So I think the problem is solved.

No, he has merely changed my profile name to gone so that all my posts can still be linked to me.

A bit like changing Andrea Borman to Gone...
dancegirl84
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri July 29th 2013, 3:09 pm

Well I think the admin has done a fair duty, removed your account details and removed your username so anyone --new-- to the forum couldn't establish who you were.

Deleting your account would only lead to everything appearing as "guest" and anyone who knows on that forum from before your profile was physically deleted could establish who you were/are.

Edit: Although it does say in the Forumotion TOS that admins are required to delete accounts upon request.
Thread https://help.forumotion.com/t1526-account-deletion-administrators-obligations wrote:In accordance with article 34 of the data-processing law and freedoms of January 6, 1978, each member of a forum has a right of access, of modification, correction and suppression of the data which relate to it. This is why the administrator cannot refuse to remove an account. If such is the case, warn Forumotion who will require of the administrator to remove this account. In the event of refusal of his share, it will be exposed to the pure and simple removal of his forum for nonrespect of the "data-processing and freedoms"...

Last edited by Derri on July 29th 2013, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 29th 2013, 8:04 pm

Derri is right. The admin has changed your username and also replaced your email with a fake one. So there is nothing on your profile that has your personal information.

Even when you do delete your account, you always come back a week later as someone else. So what is the point in the admin removing your account?

Why not just ask him to change your username if you are fed up with it?

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk July 30th 2013, 12:42 am

The admin is not obligated to remove your post. only to delete the account and remove any profile information. So it seems they have did this and nothing you can do about the post that remain. If they have changed your name, profile information and your email address. then the account is no longer yours, or your information. Me i would have just deleted the account to make things easier/or banned the account. but is up to the admin how they want to do it.

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 30th 2013, 1:39 am

kirk wrote:The admin is not obligated to remove your post. only to delete the account and remove any profile information. So it seems they have did this and nothing you can do about the post that remain. If they have changed your name, profile information and your email address. then the account is no longer yours, or your information. Me i would have just deleted the account to make things easier/or banned the account. but is up to the admin how they want to do it.

You are right Kirk. As the admin has removed all personal information relating to the account, including the OPs email address, there is no personal details on there.

On some forums I know of (not Forumotion ones,) a member can request to be banned if he does not want to be a member there. Though I don't see the point in that either. If you don't like the forum,don't go there again.

The OP always creates an account on that forum, then a few weeks later, he deletes it and then creates another one. So it would be better for him to ask the admin to change his username. Rather than delete the account, create another one, and then delete the account again.

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk July 30th 2013, 1:57 am

Well on my real phpbb forum i am not under anyone's TOS so i never delete accounts. I would give them the choice to just leave and not return and the account will be auto deleted in 90 days or be banned? lol
However it is not a everyday occurrence so most of the time will be nice and honor it. unless they keep returning and asking the same thing again.

On forumotion by law we have to delete accounts if a member request it. So of course i honor it. however after i delete the account i will then go in and block ip,user name and email address so they can not come back and create another account with that info.

Anyway i don't want to get to far off topic here.

It seems the question has been answered, as long as the members personal information is no longer on the forum and account details have all been changed to something fake/different then the original information the account was created with. then  that's all the administrator is obligated to do.Once again the Forum Owner/Administration is not obligated to remove any post unless they wish to do so.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 30th 2013, 2:07 am

I agree,either the OP wants to be a member of that forum or he doesn't. But if he keeps on deleting his account then creating new ones and deleting them. I am not surprised the admin is getting fed up with it. 

Either way he should not have wasted your time with this. As it's not a real problem. If he wants to delete his account, it is something he should discuss with the admin of that forum by email or PM.

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk July 30th 2013, 2:15 am

Well the only other thing i can add is.
If the member feels the admin has not done enough or is not removing the account to file a official complaint with forumotion litigation.

https://www.forumotion.com/en/litigation/

But once again i would try to sort the situation out with the forum Admin, then if the was to refuse to remove the account then file a report.

So is this solved now. i am ready to move this to archives. All has pretty much been answered already and see no reason to leave this open any longer.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 30th 2013, 3:23 am

Kirk wrote:But once again i would try to sort the situation out with the forum Admin, 

So is this solved now. i am ready to move this to archives. All has pretty much been answered already and see no reason to leave this open any longer.

Yes I say close this thread now.
As it's something the OP should discuss with the admin of that forum. So there is nothing the support forum can do, as the admin has not broken any FM TOS.

Back to top Go down