The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Created Admin Demoted Everyone

4 posters

Go down

Solved Self Created Admin Demoted Everyone

Post by YizelScorpio May 3rd 2015, 7:48 pm

Hello all!  I didn't quite know where to post this, so I thought right here would do.  On a forum I'm part of, I'm a Moderator and something bad happened.  A hacker of sorts made a brand new account, made himself an admin somehow, and demoted all other admins.  The founder will not be online for a while and I do not know the next time she will be online.  She was thinking of leaving the site, so I'm not sure we will get help from her.  He has hacked the site before, but we had the founder to help us those times.  I really need your help to know how to get rid of this guy.  This guy also changes names to inappropriate words and he posts very bad things.  Can anyone help?

Site: http://www.bearvilleboulevard.com
YizelScorpio

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Self Created Admin Demoted Everyone

Post by Ange Tuteur May 3rd 2015, 8:25 pm

Hi @YizelScorpio,

Normally when something like this occurs, it's an inside job. As far as I know, no one but the administration team can make someone an Admin. For example, someone on your Administration team could have made another account and raised it to admin status simply for amusement.

As for solving the situation, you would need the founder to either restore the forum as it was via the utils, or if you have other staff with rights still, restore your administration status. When giving people this power, be sure that you can trust them.
Ange Tuteur
Ange Tuteur
Forumaster

Male Posts : 13246
Language : English & 日本語

https://fmdesign.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by YizelScorpio May 6th 2015, 1:54 am

Luckily, the problem was fixed, but it could happen again.  From what I know, no one promoted this guy.  Yet, this person found a way in.  Other comments and helpful tips are highly appreciated.
YizelScorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g May 6th 2015, 2:34 am

Well the only other way is by hacking the FM server (VERY VERY HARD to do) or through the direct link to the acp.

I would recommend checking through your administrative logs, anything done by an administrator will be documented there. I would also recommend that you enable the security setting 'Confirm login information before administrating the forum' to prevent anyone who is not authorized to be in the acp will not be able to, using the direct acp link.

-Brandon

Self Created Admin Demoted Everyone Brando10
Remember to mark your topic Self Created Admin Demoted Everyone Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Self Created Admin Demoted Everyone Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray May 6th 2015, 5:55 am

The forum can not be hacked.  The only thing that can be hacked is accounts.  Could it be that an administrator exactly gave his/hers account to someone?

Self Created Admin Demoted Everyone Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51464

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by YizelScorpio May 7th 2015, 2:56 am

SLGray wrote:The forum can not be hacked.  The only thing that can be hacked is accounts.  Could it be that an administrator exactly gave his/hers account to someone?
None of the administrators gave away any passwords.  It was 3-4 months since the last time the person tried hacking the forum, so I think Brandon may be on to something about him hacking the FM server.  In a matter of speaking, this forum is very good about never sharing any passwords or personal information.  Of course, there could be loopholes of sorts.  The admins complained about there being an 'invisible admin' that was demoting everyone.  At this time, all admins were online and the founder was not logged into at all.  This is why I am so confused about all of this.  Either there is a way to create an account that is not visible to admins, or something else happened.
YizelScorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g May 7th 2015, 3:51 am

What I meant by hacking the server was that it is damn near impossible, it was defintely inside job or he hacked an account on the forum, whether the admin gave him the password or not, if he managed to figure out the password (which is what hackers do) then he can gain access to the account. As I said, check your administrative logs.

-Brandon
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray May 7th 2015, 7:44 am

Self Created Admin Demoted Everyone Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51464

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down