The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exporting data from my forum's database

4 posters

Go down

Exporting data from my forum's database Empty Exporting data from my forum's database

Post by david December 24th 2005, 4:24 pm

Hi,

Is there a way to export data from my forum's database? I would like to create a new forum on antoher server and would like to get back my datas. Can I do it by myself? Do I need to ask to someone or it's impossible to do?

Thanks,

David
david

Language : 29

Back to top Go down

Exporting data from my forum's database Empty Re: Exporting data from my forum's database

Post by Cornelia December 24th 2005, 7:09 pm

Unfortunately, it is not possible to export database from an editboard.

The reasons are multiple.
- Editboard's PHPBB base has been modified, so any database needs an adaptation to be exported or imported. The webmasters have a 35h/week job and a family life besides Editboard and it takes time to adapt a single database, so they prefer to not export/import, considering that, even if the English service is recent, the service itself is 19 months old and there are more than 20000 forums under Editboard (in French, its native language : Forumactif). The Google ads don't bring enough money to allow the webmasters to hire a 35h/week PHP programmer.
- There are also security reasons.

Editboard is not the only one to not import/export the database. Other free forum service like aceboard or others don't export their database.

You can always do a copy-paste of the most important messages and ask your members to register to the new board

Sorry if my English is not perfect, my first language is French and I'm from Quebec.

Good luck in your projects and Merry Chrismas!

Katt santa
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Exporting data from my forum's database Empty Re: Exporting data from my forum's database

Post by Erel December 25th 2005, 2:51 pm

This is the big problem of Editboard.
Erel

Male Posts : 22

http://testboard.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristou December 25th 2005, 8:06 pm

This is like that, not a problem...
Tristou
Tristou
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelia December 26th 2005, 1:05 am

Erel wrote:This is the big problem of Editboard.

You would have had the same answer from aceboard or other free forum provider! Editboard is not an isolated case.

On the other side, the "prison" is really soft.

When you want to start your own Phpbb/IPB/ikonboard/vbulletin forum
- You must have some knowledge in PHP and in database management.
- You have to look yourself for a FTP account that supports PHP and they are not all free
- You have to install the MODs yourself
- When a bug occurs, you have to correct it yourself
- You have to do the backups yourself, so if you don't do it and that a hack occurs, you will have to restart to zero.

But there is a pro version of Editboard that is in preparation and that may get ready during the year 2006. The webmasters still have tests to do before that to correct any bug they enconter. For 90 euros a year, the administrator of a pro editboard will have an editboard that is customizable like a classical Phpbb without the worry to host it anywhere else and he can choose the domain name. This is a compromise between a free editboard and a classical Phpbb you host yourself.

Volonteer testers were taken to test the beta version of the pro editboard, but they do not take new tester anymore because of abuse made by some of them (there were testers who did illegal activities in their forum). Tristou was in the testers, so he can tell about it.
Cornelia
Cornelia
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 4763
Language : I'M NOT A TECHIE OR A MOD, SO QUIT SENDING ME PMS FOR TECHIE STUFF OR LOST PASSWORDS !!!

http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum