ServImg Question

Go down

In progress ServImg Question

Post by Zeta on September 29th 2018, 3:49 am

I didn't see a section for ServImg in the Other Services area so I wasn't sure where to ask this. Do search engines index what you host to your ServImg? I mean, if you host an image there, then look for it on google, will it show up?
Zeta
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: ServImg Question

Post by SLGray on September 29th 2018, 5:04 am

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 44584

http://fmthemesdesignteam.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g on September 29th 2018, 5:11 am

Hello,

That is a good question, one I am not 100% sure of, however, based on a test I did just now, it seems Google and other search engines CANT index images. The only thing on servimg that gets indexed is the homepage of servimg, thats it.

I tried copying and pasting several image url of images I have uploaded into google and it couldn't find it, even with the direct image link. So that said, I am 99% sure search engines can not index the images on the site, only the homepage.

I am not, however, 100% sure of this, as they have never given us any official information on this (don't think it's ever been asked actually) and I am going solely based on the test I did with 3 separate images.

If you want to test for yourself, take any image url of an image you uploaded to servimg and it will come back with this:

-Brandon

Remember to mark your topic when a solution is found.
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 7727

http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on September 29th 2018, 5:42 am

If you are using the uploaded images on a forum, they will be indexed by search engines.  They will be indexed under the forum.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta on September 29th 2018, 6:31 am

@brandon_g wrote:Hello,

That is a good question, one I am not 100% sure of, however, based on a test I did just now, it seems Google and other search engines CANT index images. The only thing on servimg that gets indexed is the homepage of servimg, thats it.

I tried copying and pasting several image url of images I have uploaded into google and it couldn't find it, even with the direct image link. So that said, I am 99% sure search engines can not index the images on the site, only the homepage.

I am not, however, 100% sure of this, as they have never given us any official information on this (don't think it's ever been asked actually) and I am going solely based on the test I did with 3 separate images.

If you want to test for yourself, take any image url of an image you uploaded to servimg and it will come back with this:

-Brandon

I see. So the URL turns up no results. Did you try image searching, where you drag the image into the google image search bar and it looks for matching and similar ones, though and were the results the same?
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by skouliki on September 29th 2018, 8:14 am

Hi

By posting the image on a public and searchable website you make it easier for google to find your image and add it to the images index ....​But the images won’t instantly appear in search results you must wait until your site is indexed by Google before your images show up in search results

general speaking to prevent images from your site appearing in search results you must add a robots.txt file to the root of the server that blocks the images
note that Google isn’t the web it’s only a search engine for finding information on the web so removing content from Google’s search results page is not the same thing as removing from the web
skouliki
Manager
Manager

Female Posts : 4895
Language : English,Greek

http://iconskouliki.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta on September 29th 2018, 8:46 am

@skouliki wrote:Hi

By posting the image on a public and searchable website you make it easier for google to find your image and add it to the images index ....​But the images won’t instantly appear in search results you must wait until your site is indexed by Google before your images show up in search results

general speaking to prevent images from your site appearing in search results you must add a robots.txt file to the root of the server that blocks the images
note that Google isn’t the web it’s only a search engine for finding information on the web so removing content from Google’s search results page is not the same thing as removing from the web
Thanks for the information but that wasn't the question.
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by skouliki on September 29th 2018, 11:08 am

the question was answered by SLGray ...
additional knowledge is always helpful (might help other members with similar issues when searching for help)

skouliki
Manager
Manager

Female Posts : 4895
Language : English,Greek

http://iconskouliki.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on September 29th 2018, 8:04 pm

Are you wanting to index your images or not?

If you are using them on your forum, you can help search engines by sharing content from your forum on social media.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta on September 30th 2018, 5:55 am

@skouliki wrote:the question was answered by SLGray ...
additional knowledge is always helpful (might help other members with similar issues when searching for help)

The question was answered by brandon, actually. for the most part. I'm mostly just waiting for him to reply to my reply question to have a complete answer.

@SLGray wrote:Are you wanting to index your images or not?

If you are using them on your forum, you can help search engines by sharing content from your forum on social media.
The question was never about whether I want to index my images or not. It was about if search engines index what is posted to the servimg account on servimg itself. Not the forums where they get posted because those have their own settings that determine what content gets indexed on them, but from the ServImg site itself.
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum