The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problematic Smilies

+4
brandon_g
SLGray
skouliki
Zeta
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

In progress Problematic Smilies

Post by Zeta May 15th 2019, 9:47 am

First topic message reminder :

I've noticed a very irritating issue on my forums and forums where I'm a member. There seems to be some sort of issue with the smilies, one that as far as I can tell seems to appear across all of the forums I frequent, where either the custom smilies or characters that would be smilies, such as the alt code heart, at the forum are being replaced by what I assume are the "standard" ones, even in posts where "disable smilies in this post" is checked. I see the issue both in Chrome and Explorer and at different forums with different CSS and versions.
I have no idea what causes it.
I'm not sure if you knew about it or know why it happens.
How do I stop it from happening?
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Problematic Smilies

Post by Zeta May 21st 2019, 2:41 pm

skouliki wrote:
SLGray wrote:It is not an error.  The patch stops issues caused by the emolis and smilies (not popular).  There is no issue with the popular used ones.

lets all wait for the next patch then 
have a nice day !
Well, there clearly is an issue or error that wasn't accounted for because any way I look at this it looks like something that shouldn't be happening and definitely shouldn't be happening intentionally. It looks for all the world like an error. Hearts are pretty popular, and they're still being problematic. The patch seemingly succeeds in stopping the issue that it intended- losing the rest of the post after the smilie/emoji - but it doesn't stop this issue, which i can only assume wasn't accounted for or just not known about because as it was said in a previous post
SLGray wrote:Alt and number codes are not smilies or emojis. They are symbols and special characters.
Alt and number codes aren't supposed to be smilies/emojis, but they're getting turned into smilies/emojis automatically as soon as the poster hits the "send" button and even the special characters are being replaced with the smilies codes instead of staying the special character that was typed into the editor. So, if they're supposed to be symbols and special characters and they're not then that's an issue.
You already made it abundantly clear that you're not going to help me, but there was at least one person that was trying to. So I'm waiting for their next reply.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape May 21st 2019, 4:38 pm

At the end of the day we can not help you without the forum address as it could be a setting not working on your forum right.

If you do the codes you are talking about here it dose not show us the same as your forum so it must be your forum or a browser thing.

We can not help you any more then we have and i know that a member of this forum can not help you as it is not seen on any other forum and we can't test it as it's not anything we can see for our self.

Sorry but this is not going to be fixed without some real help from you.

Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Left1212Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Center11Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Right112
Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Ape_b110
Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19110
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 22nd 2019, 2:00 am

APE wrote:At the end of the day we can not help you without the forum address as it could be a setting not working on your forum right.

If you do the codes you are talking about here it dose not show us the same as your forum so it must be your forum or a browser thing.

We can not help you any more then we have and i know that a member of this forum can not help you as it is not seen on any other forum and we can't test it as it's not anything we can see for our self.

The problem does happen here too. I've demonstrated it in previous posts in this very thread. Everywhere you see (alt+#) next to something in my posts in this thread is where I've typed in the special character that is made by that alt code on the keyboard. All but 2 of the ones I typed got automatically replaced with either smilies/emojis if I unchecked "Disable Smilies in this post" or the code for the smilies/emojis if I left the option checked instead of remaining the special characters they are supposed to be. And it is not just here and my forum. It is every forum I frequent as well. We all talked about it and since I already have an account here and I always deal with interactions here in what we've considered to be a proper manner without allowing myself to get angry everybody decided it would be best for me to make the thread about the global issue that is occurring. When I told everybody that one of the staff here suggested that I "advice the admins to come here and open a thread about this issue" one of the group asked the very good question of "Why would they want 30 threads about the same issue when one is enough to inform them of the problem?"
If you want to see it happen here just go ahead and type in the alt codes I used in your next reply.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by TonnyKamper May 22nd 2019, 12:28 pm

♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ I see them appear normal, so I think it isn't a global issue...
TonnyKamper
TonnyKamper
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1048
Language : Dutch/English

http://www.nederlandheelt.nl/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 22nd 2019, 1:17 pm

TonnyKamper wrote::hearts: :diamonds: :clubs: :spades: I see them appear normal, so I think it isn't a global issue...
You see them appearing as the special characters they should be, just like they would if you typed them in notepad? Because I'm seeing them as smilies/emojis in your post and with smilie codes in my quote of your post instead of the proper special characters.
This is what I'm seeing in your post:
Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Post
That card suit is made up of smilies/emojis, not the special characters.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by TonnyKamper May 22nd 2019, 6:39 pm

I see what you mean @Zeta but on our end everything displays normal as how it's supposed to.. that's why I think it isn't a global error.. maybe it is a script or a widget that is corrupting the display of the 'special' characters.. have you checked those already?

Because a while back I had helped a site that displayed distorted because of an outdated affiliates widget, once that was removed everything displayed well again.. I'm not saying it is that at your end because I can't check it, but it's a suggestion to find out if any of your scripts or widgets is the culprit here..
TonnyKamper
TonnyKamper
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1048
Language : Dutch/English

http://www.nederlandheelt.nl/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape May 22nd 2019, 8:15 pm

The problem is we can not report this on a ticket as i's only you making the report of this problem.
To make a report about one forum we use the address of the forum to send the ticket as it's not seen as a global problem.

So without your address of your forum we can not open a ticket to report this to our team to look at it for you.

So without your address we can not help you any more then we have already.

Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Left1212Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Center11Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Right112
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 23rd 2019, 2:54 am

TonnyKamper wrote:I see what you mean @Zeta but on our end everything displays normal as how it's supposed to.. that's why I think it isn't a global error.. maybe it is a script or a widget that is corrupting the display of the 'special' characters.. have you checked those already?

Because a while back I had helped a site that displayed distorted because of an outdated affiliates widget, once that was removed everything displayed well again.. I'm not saying it is that at your end because I can't check it, but it's a suggestion to find out if any of your scripts or widgets is the culprit here..
It can't be anything on my forum if it is happening here too. I can't add scripts or widgets here. If you mean my browser, I'm using chrome like you are and it is up to date and I've not really customized it so it is pretty much just standard chrome.
I don't think it's chrome either though since they're still displaying as smilies/emojis and not their alt code special characters in internet explorer.

APE wrote:The problem is we can not report this on a ticket as i's only you making the report of this problem.
To make a report about one forum we use the address of the forum to send the ticket as it's not seen as a global problem.

So without your address of your forum we can not open a ticket to report this to our team to look at it for you.

It is not just me making the report, it is me making the report on behalf of a group of people. The problem exists here just like the 30 other forums. So send the report for here.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray May 23rd 2019, 5:05 am

Well, then you need to tell this group to come here and report it, because you are the only one so far. No other members have reported it on their forums.

Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51482

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 23rd 2019, 6:00 am

SLGray wrote:Well, then you need to tell this group to come here and report it, because you are the only one so far. No other members have reported it on their forums.
The reason I'm here on behalf of everybody is: "I already have an account here and I always deal with interactions here in what we've considered to be a proper manner without allowing myself to get angry". It is an important issue, any time something is broken or there is an error it really should be looked into and treated as important, that needed brought to the attention of the people that can fix it. But it was said, and I quote, "I don't want the headache" by several at the suggestion of coming here. And I completely understand their reluctance. I myself make it a point not to hang around this forum unless something is broken and in need of fixing. Right now, something is broken everywhere and needs fixing. If there's one issue presenting itself there's no telling how many other connected issues not so easily seen there may be, so I would take anything being broken as an important matter.
If you guys don't want to help and fix your own site then can you direct me to some higher up in the company that I can inform about the problem?
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by skouliki May 23rd 2019, 8:37 am

APE wrote:The problem is we can not report this on a ticket as i's only you making the report of this problem.

APE wrote:At the end of the day we can not help you without the forum address as it could be a setting not working on your forum right.

skouliki
skouliki
Manager
Manager

Female Posts : 15118
Language : English,Greek

http://iconskouliki.forumgreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 23rd 2019, 10:29 am

skouliki wrote:

It can't be my forum because it is happening at a large number of forums including this one. It can't be my browser because it is happening in other browsers. It also can't be my operating system since some of the people experiencing the issue use different operating systems. Perhaps I'm just not comely around clearly about what the issue is and there is a misunderstanding somewhere, which would be a failing on my part.
Now, is there somebody higher up in the company that I can inform directly about the issue?
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by skouliki May 23rd 2019, 11:09 am

every staff of FM higher or not they will ask for your forum url , it is standard procedure
skouliki
skouliki
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape May 23rd 2019, 11:22 am

The only one that is from the head office is @The Godfather he can not be Emailed or PM'ed I have send him a email my self to come here and I am sure he has already read this topic he will need your forum address to help you also.

The godfather runs all the support forums and is the one we all go to as our boss.

He may or not post here he may just tell us to reply to you.

Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 23rd 2019, 11:44 am

skouliki wrote:every staff of FM higher or not they will ask for your forum url , it is standard procedure
It is not mine, but if you want a url of one of the sites where the problem exists, here: help.forumotion.com

APE wrote:The only one that is from the head office is @The Godfather he can not be Emailed or PM'ed I have send him a email my self to come here and I am sure he has already read this topic he will need your forum address to help you also.

The godfather runs all the support forums and is the one we all go to as our boss.

He may or not post here he may just tell us to reply to you.
It is a global issue, so going to my forum isn't the answer. The problem exists on numerous sites for numerous people, here too, so why not start fixing it here?
I was kind of hoping to take it directly to somebody above the support forums. Hopefully the godfather will have them make a patch to correct the issue.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by The Godfather May 23rd 2019, 5:25 pm

hello @Zeta

Zeta wrote:... I can't see any reason to give you any links...

you come to us to report an hypothetical technical problem on your forum. we cannot comment on its nature or origin if you refuse to provide us with links on your forum where we can clearly identify the problem in order to analyze it.

if you want help, you will have to provide us with all the necessary elements for this. namely :

1. the direct link of the message where the problem can be seen
2. screenshot of the problem
3. explanations on how to reproduce the problem

without these three elements, we will not be able to take register your request because it is impossible to debug based on words...

the topic is now 2 pages long and 2 posts are enough to decide. this is not a proposal to debate but a request so that we can help you in good conditions without wasting time.

without these three elements and above all the direct link of the message where the problem can be seen, we will classify the problem without further action

thank you for your understanding
The Godfather
The Godfather
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 24th 2019, 2:27 am

The Godfather wrote:hello @Zeta

you come to us to report an hypothetical technical problem on your forum. we cannot comment on its nature or origin if you refuse to provide us with links on your forum where we can clearly identify the problem in order to analyze it.

if you want help, you will have to provide us with all the necessary elements for this. namely :

without these three elements, we will not be able to take register your request because it is impossible to debug based on words...

the topic is now 2 pages long and 2 posts are enough to decide. this is not a proposal to debate but a request so that we can help you in good conditions without wasting time.

without these three elements and above all the direct link of the message where the problem can be seen, we will classify the problem without further action

No, I didn't come here to report a technical problem with my forum. I came here to report a global technical problem with all forums I encounter including mine and this one.
I'm not really sure how to go about direct linking to a specific post in this thread but there is both a message where the problem can be seen and a screenshot of the problem further up on this page. I've also explained how to reproduce the problem in previous posts.
Though, if you want those things I can provide them here in this post collectively. I'm typing the special character for a heart you get when you hold down the alt key and the number 3 on the number pad that's usually on the right side of the keyboard :hearts: which should look like this Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Alt3 and as a special character should act like text and be subject to any bbcode coloring, font size or etc. that you do to text. But it gets automatically replaced with a smilie/emoji once it gets posted and the special character gets automatically changed to the smilie code for that smilie/emoji, which shows as a broken smilie code if smilies are disabled.
you can see in this screenshot where the automatic replacement took place in the post with smilies enable:
Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Post
and where it shows the broken smilie codes instead of the special characters in my quote of the post:
Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Post2
For good measure I'll also include a screenshot of the section of this post before I post it where I typed the alt code as a special character:
Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Post3
To reproduce the problem you need only reply or create a new topic, type the special character into the editor and click send. If you have smilies enable you should see a smilie/emoji. If you have smilies disabled you should see a broken code for that smilie/emoji. If you edit the post you will also see that code. The special character is gone, replaced. Not every alt code changes, the alt+2 smilie does not nor does the alt+13 music note, so I'd recommend the card suit which would be alt and either 3, 4, 5, or 6. Or you could go with alt+18 or alt+19 to replicate the error.

Last edited by Zeta on May 24th 2019, 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray May 24th 2019, 4:26 am

It is easy.  Load a topic on your forum and copy & paste the link in your browser tab here.

Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51482

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 24th 2019, 4:57 am

SLGray wrote:It is easy.  Load a topic on your forum and copy & paste the link in your browser tab here.
i want to link to a specific post in this thread.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by skouliki May 24th 2019, 12:03 pm

without these three elements, we will not be able to take register your request because it is impossible to debug based on words..

skouliki
skouliki
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 24th 2019, 2:54 pm

skouliki wrote:

without these three elements, we will not be able to take register your request because it is impossible to debug based on words..

This section said "you come to us to report an hypothetical technical problem on your forum. we cannot comment on its nature or origin if you refuse to provide us with links on your forum where we can clearly identify the problem in order to analyze it." to which I replied "No, I didn't come here to report a technical problem with my forum. I came here to report a global technical problem with all forums I encounter including mine and this one."
That hasn't changed throughout the whole thread, so since nobody bothered to inform that I'm here about a global technical issue and not an issue with just my forum I gave that information.
And then I gave all the information asked for:
"if you want help, you will have to provide us with all the necessary elements for this. namely :

3. explanations on how to reproduce the problem"
I included a display of the problem in the reply so the reply is the direct link to the message where the problem can be seen since I'm still not sure how to directly link to other posts in this thread.
All three requirements are there in that reply. They have been provided. So now help should be able to be provided.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape May 24th 2019, 5:08 pm

Go to the topic you have the problem on then go to the top of your browser and copy the link here
Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Captu161 if you don't want to post that address in public you can PM me with it i will then send this on to our head office.

As my boss has told you without this
Code:
we will not help you any more.

Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta May 25th 2019, 3:24 am

APE wrote:Go to the topic you have the problem on then go to the top of your browser and copy the link here
Problematic Smilies - Page 2 Captu161 if you don't want to post that address in public you can PM me with it i will then send this on to our head office.

As my boss has told you without this
Code:
we will not help you any more.
It is fine. I've found I can get the direct link to the post from the post title. Here:
https://help.forumotion.com/t157540p30-problematic-smilies#1092032
I included the problem being displayed in that post along with the other two criteria. It is one of several messages in this thread where the problem can be seen.
I can now link to other messages directly, so if you need any more messages in the thread just let me know. All three requirements asked for are there so now you should be able to help.
Zeta
Zeta
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape May 25th 2019, 3:32 am

No the link on your forum not here.

As you will not give the forum link to the post we will have no choice but to lock this thread.

Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2