The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Go down

In progress Log In Problem Help

Post by Kathryn K August 3rd 2020, 6:16 pm

One of our users reports she is unable to log in. She was on site last week with no problem. Can someone explain to me how I can help her get back online at our site.
Kathryn K
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Log In Problem Help

Post by Karnine August 3rd 2020, 6:29 pm

There are two ways one the user can click login then I forgot my password. All they need to do is send it to there email address then they can setup a new password or have a admin send them a temporary password for them to use an they can reset there password that way too but the best one to try first is I forgot password in the login

For I forget my password it's requires username an email they setup on register be shore it's a real email address like Gmail etc email services @
Karnine
Karnine
Forumember

Male Posts : 53

https://forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn K August 3rd 2020, 6:38 pm

Karnine wrote:There are two ways one the user can click login then I forgot my password. All they need to do is send I to there email address then they can setup a new password or have a admin send them a temporary password for them to use an they can reset there password that way too but the best one to try first is I forgot password in the login

Thanks for the info. She's not forgotten her password. Said she tried 7X to no avail. Unfortunately, this person moved and her email address changed which complicates the problem.

Hmmm, our Admin is AWOL. I am a moderator. Is there a way to explain where I can go in the admin pages to send her a temp. password? From what I can see, I can get back there but I don't have the master key to the site.
Kathryn K
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Karnine August 3rd 2020, 6:42 pm

Well then admin has to physically change email address if that's the case you can do this in users an groups all the admin needs to do is change email information. I been running a forum for 10 years now I understand your query. You can as admin change email info without having to change the password the user owns

Step 1 login if your admin
Step 2 go to admin cp
Step 3 go to users an groups
Step 4 go to manage user find the user name
Step 5 once you have that go the email on there account an change it
Step 6 after do get the information save change to there account
I hope I helped the best I could
Karnine
Karnine
Forumember

Kathryn K likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn K August 3rd 2020, 6:51 pm

ok so if I go into the admin section of our board, find the users group page and change her email address. Then if she still can't log in, she should hit the forget password button.

Will the board then automatically send her a new temp password or will I have to do another step?
Kathryn K
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Karnine August 3rd 2020, 6:57 pm

No as you change it to that new email then save on there account under this section
Users management
From this interface, you have access to all the main functions to manage your users. You can view/edit their profiles and easily change their permissions. You just have to click the username of the user whose profile you wish to modify/view. You can also send an e-mail to the user of your choice by simply clicking on his/hers address.

They should be able to click I forgot once you saved the new email on there account if they still remember the password then they don't have to worry about I forgot you as admin are just fixing an changing there email to there new one.

If not then you can send them a temp password by changing it yourself just inform them you did this before hand in a email if the new email doesn't work correctly this only if you necessarily need it to help them.
Karnine
Karnine
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn K August 3rd 2020, 7:02 pm

Karnine wrote:No as you change it to that new email then save on there account under this section
Users management
From this interface, you have access to all the main functions to manage your users. You can view/edit their profiles and easily change their permissions. You just have to click the username of the user whose profile you wish to modify/view. You can also send an e-mail to the user of your choice by simply clicking on his/hers address.

They should be able to click I forgot
If not then you can send them a temp password by changing it yourself just inform them you did this before hand in a email it the new email doesn't work correctly this only if you necessarily need it to help them.

Karnine

Thanks so much. I'm going to go back there and see if I can do what you've explained to solve my user's problem. Hopefully I'll figure it out! (fingers crossed).

I'll be back to let you know how I fared. Not sure when but I'll be back one way or another.

Again, thanks. I guess at some point I'll have to figure out what we do about the missing founder of our site.
Kathryn K
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Karnine August 3rd 2020, 7:09 pm

I hope it works out I glad I was able to help out the best I know about forumotion. Also if the founder left there is nothing you can do about there account. I am a founder on mine I am active I mess with my forumotion alot for 10 years.

Have a good one an if my information was not good enough you can ask a admin here there more advanced then me in forumotion information
Karnine
Karnine
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray August 3rd 2020, 9:31 pm

Moving would not change your email address.  Did the email adress change because she  change Internet providers?

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51463

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Karnine August 3rd 2020, 9:47 pm

Its not moving @SLGray I understood the query here an tried my best to help out here. It sounded like a email issue or provider but it's easy enough to help a user change there accounts email without having for them to make a new account on there forumotion account you can as admin change the user email to help if you communicate with that user an let them know it's a common thing easy to fix. I have had this issue happen before on my forumotion with a user that could not change password under I forgot password so I have the experience with this similar issue here. All I did as founder is communicate with my user having email problem with there account that's how I know what to do with this. Sometimes email can change or gets deleted not by the provider but user at times. If you have a rule for no puppeting accounts aka making new accounts then it can be annoying to do with change email info also if they had post number thread to or liked there user name there multiple reasons why I tried my best of my ability to help I was saying if my information I gave didn't help to ask here with you guys. For now I don't know anything I just felt good helping out with what I knew or experienced in my years owning a forumotion
Karnine
Karnine
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn K August 9th 2020, 12:07 am

thanks Karnine. I explained as best I could what you said to my member. I didn't have a clue if she had a new provider but thought it possible knowing she moved from KY to ME. She got onto the site and thanked me, however, I'm still waiting for the detail as to how she got back in.

Again thanks to you and SL Gray for the input.

How do I mark this SOLVED??
Kathryn K
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray August 9th 2020, 3:39 am

Kathryn K wrote:How do I mark this SOLVED??
By clicking the green solved button above the topic.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51463

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down