jucarese
SLGray
6 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Solved New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad

Post by Guest August 29th 2021, 8:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

I decided to test some things on my forum as a guest. Words cannot describe my horror when I saw this thing in the bottom right of my screen:
New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Screen28
A very obnoxious video ad, that autoplays, and follows the user around the page, covering the actual content. A quick google search will clearly show that users hate these ads.

We already have sponsored content(an euphemism for what is, in fact, spam) in the topics, was this seriously necessary? Were we even announced of this change? What is the point of having a forumotion forum, if what I show to a potential user is an obnoxious ad, that wastes their internet bandwidth, and makes them not want to have anything to do with my site?

While this ad is autoplaying itself, the ads that used to show up at the bottom of the forum have stopped displaying properly, leaving an ugly white space where they used to be.

If I continue with my forum, I will urge my users to install an adblocker, until ads like this are gone. And that is a fairly huge "if".

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad

Post by The Godfather September 15th 2021, 11:38 am

Hello @Occultist

I'm sorry for the delay and thank you for all the information.

I see several big problems here:

1/ Already the native cookies banner on Forumotion has been removed / replaced although it is strictly mandatory.
2/ Then all the templates have been enormously modified and some mandatory variables such as {HOSTING_JS} have been removed.
3/ And jQuery has been deleted too.

Code:
<script src="{JQUERY_PATH}" type="text/javascript"></script>

The technical team added some missing elements on https://otesting.forumgratuit.ro/ and it's better for instance.

Finally, the advertisements at the bottom are not visible in several situations. Especially when you are connected to the forum for example.

So here you have to: put back the cookies banner provided by Forumotion which is a European legal requirement and test with the default models Very Happy
The Godfather
The Godfather
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 15th 2021, 12:19 pm

Then why in the world do I see no ads when I force the default templates and css? Why do I see no ads on a new forum with no modified templates?

I'm losing my god damn mind with you people. It's like nobody here understands a god damn thing. I removed {HOSTING_JS} because it loaded a shit ton of javascript onto my forum. There's literally a JSON implementation in there. Why in the world is that in there? Do we live in 2005? Why is there a god damn printf function? Who's the moron that didn't realize they can printf whatever they want server side? Worse, there's a HUGE jquery library for cutting off text that's too long. Why do you need a whole library for that? I readded the javascript for the ads, and everything was working, all the ads were displaying, until now the bottom ones are not showing up.

Screw this. Forumotion sucks [a][s][s]. I put in a lot of work on my forum, and now I will delete every last bit of it. I don't care anymore. You refuse to modernize this service, and that is why it's going to die.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Godfather September 15th 2021, 12:25 pm

Hello,

Occultist wrote:Then why in the world do I see no ads when I force the default templates and css? Why do I see no ads on a new forum with no modified templates?

The new forums benefit from a delay of 3 to 7 days without any advertising (I'm pretty sure it's 7 days). I need to check the duration but this exception may explain your sentence.

For the rest, we are a little (a lot) blocked by the fact that many forums are personalized. The majority of custom scripts implemented by members are based on these codes. Even an upgrade of jQuery is almost impossible because of this.

Last edited by The Godfather on September 15th 2021, 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Godfather
The Godfather
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

pedxz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 15th 2021, 12:29 pm

I made that forum 8 days ago. And otesting had the default templates for a long time. that doesnt matter tho. i will delete everything. you cant even send the deletion confirmation email fast enough. and when you finally send it and i click on the link:"only the founder can delete the forum. you are not the founder. you are banned". What?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Godfather September 15th 2021, 12:31 pm

Occultist wrote:I made that forum 8 days ago. And otesting had the default templates for a long time. that doesnt matter tho. i will delete everything. you cant even send the deletion confirmation email fast enough. and when you finally send it and i click on the link:"only the founder can delete the forum. you are not the founder. you are banned". What?

I can see your forum is deleted now because it redirects on https://www.forumotion.com/search/fmagic.forumotion.com
The Godfather
The Godfather
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 15th 2021, 12:37 pm

yup. one gone, 2 more to go. this feels good, much better than forumotion ever felt.

oh, and based on my right to be forgotten(https://gdpr.eu/right-to-be-forgotten/), I am asking you to delete every single post and everything else that I made on this forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 15th 2021, 12:38 pm

and I see there are some backups and stuff in the founder tools. i would love it if you got rid of those too

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 15th 2021, 12:42 pm

New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Screen43
your dark mode isnt working all that well it seems

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape September 15th 2021, 1:58 pm

The backup system is there if you want to come back to us I am not sure if they will delete that from our servers.

I for one will be sorry to see you leave you have been a great help to our members and also to me.

New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Left1212New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Center11New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Right112
New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Ape_b110
New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Keep_s10
New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 17039
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

View user profile http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 15th 2021, 2:05 pm

Yes, well, I dont want to be able to restore it. technically the gdpr law means you have to delete everything about me.

i liked helping people here, but the host itself can be so infuriating 😬

Back to top Go down

Post by The Godfather September 15th 2021, 3:32 pm

I do not really understand your reaction but I will permanently delete your data on this forum (account and content) at the end of the week as you requested.

I simply explained to you the reason for the problem that you detail in your messages.

And yes on some aspects, we are aware that the platform needs to evolve (version of jQuery, etc.). But I also explained the main reasons blocking these developments.
The Godfather
The Godfather
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 15th 2021, 5:53 pm

Right. Yet you don t seem to understand that the ads don t display even with the default templates.
Whatever

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray September 15th 2021, 10:40 pm

You keep saying templates, but the issues could be CSS, JavaScripts, etc.?  Are you turn all these off at the same time?

I am sorry you feel that you are not getting the help you think you need.

New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 49641
Language : English

View user profile https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 16th 2021, 10:08 am

All my css and javascript were stored externally, and linked in the templates. Regardless, my account deletion email finally arrived, after almost a whole day. Adios

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 16th 2021, 10:10 am

What now? I can't delete my account here? fanfrickingtastic New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Screen44

Back to top Go down

Post by The Godfather September 16th 2021, 11:58 am

Hello

Occultist wrote:Right. Yet you don t seem to understand that the ads don t display even with the default templates.
Whatever

Yes we are aware of this and are working with the relevant ad provider (Magnite / Rubicon) to resolve the situation.

But thank you for this report.

Last edited by The Godfather on September 16th 2021, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Godfather
The Godfather
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 16th 2021, 12:04 pm

So you went from "it's your fault, you screwed up the templates" to "it's an issue with our provider"
Clap

Back to top Go down

Post by The Godfather September 16th 2021, 12:08 pm

Occultist wrote:So you went from "it's your fault, you screwed up the templates" to "it's an issue with our provider"
Clap

To put it simply: the cookie banner must meet specific standards (TCF V2.1...) for the main providers that we will use to display advertising.

In your case, besides the other changes that removed / blocked many JS scripts that run advertisements among other things, the absence of the cookie banner was responsible for a problem with ALL partners and not just Rubicon / Magnite.

Afterwards I tried to explain the situation to you simply. It's technical and it's not my specialty. My English was not perfect and maybe you misunderstood my message but that was not my intention.
The Godfather
The Godfather
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

TonnyKamper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape September 16th 2021, 11:37 pm

As the members account was deleted I will close this case.

New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Left1212New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Center11New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Right112
New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Ape_b110
New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Keep_s10
New, obnoxious, autoplaying, video ad - Page 3 Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 17039
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

View user profile http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3