The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you support by PMs.

+3
Luky
Pamela
hitesh
7 posters

Go down

Would you support by PMs. Empty Would you support by PMs.

Post by hitesh April 17th 2008, 3:19 pm

Firstly, this is not question. Wink

I get daily PMs from members asking some or other help. One of Staff member allready told me not to reply by PM as it is not good for both you and forumotion.

What you think is it good reply by PMs or which should only "Support By PM is not allowed". Wink Would you support by PMs. Redface
hitesh
hitesh
Forumember

Male Posts : 988
Language : English, Indian Languages

http://forum.cricketgod.com

Back to top Go down

Would you support by PMs. Empty Re: Would you support by PMs.

Post by Guest April 17th 2008, 3:24 pm

I have been a member here for over a year (ya Caihlem and the crew has put up with me for a long time) and I have been helping via PM for a lot of the time.

Hopefully Caihlem will have an answer as to why you would get a answer pm from a mod with the statement, "reply by PM as it is not good for both you and forumotion"

I dont understand that.

Back to top Go down

Post by hitesh April 17th 2008, 3:31 pm

it may be because if other member have same problem they can search can found that in search while you cannot search PMs.
hitesh
hitesh
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamela April 17th 2008, 4:59 pm

Well I need some help on my forum after I installed a HitSkin last night for the first time. It messed up my entire forum and I am at a loss.

I sent a PM to ask for my PW so I can do a system restore and back it up to a couple of days ago. But I have heard nothing..

Can someone please help me...My forum is beginning to get busy and I have to keep it shut down till it gets fixed.

PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks..
Pamela
Pamela
Forumember

Female Posts : 104
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Luky April 17th 2008, 4:59 pm

As hitesh said above, I think helping by PM would be pointless since PM's are private and other members won't be able to find the answer to their questions. They would have to PM someone again and that person would have to answer the same questions over and over again.This is the same reason why we ask to use explicit titles(so that members can search throw topics made by others who had the same problem he/she has).

Edit Pamela: if you go to admin panel=>Styles=>Choose your style =>Management you can restore your theme to the one you had Wink
Luky
Luky
Energetic

Male Posts : 6106
Language : Romanian, English

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamela April 17th 2008, 5:05 pm

Luky wrote:As hitesh said above, I think helping by PM would be pointless since PM's are private and other members won't be able to find the answer to their questions. They would have to PM someone again and that person would have to answer the same questions over and over again.This is the same reason why we ask to use explicit titles(so that members can search throw topics made by others who had the same problem he/she has).

Edit Pamela: if you go to admin panel=>Styles=>Choose your style =>Management you can restore your theme to the one you had Wink
I tried that, it does not work...
Pamela
Pamela
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamela April 17th 2008, 5:16 pm

Sorry..Posted in wrong section..

Last edited by Pamela on April 17th 2008, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pamela
Pamela
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem April 17th 2008, 7:23 pm

Please wait, when someone with the answer passes, I'm sure he/she'll post it
Meanwhile, may I remind you that double/triple posting isn't tolerated unless separated by 24 hours (Use the edit button) Wink

This thread is starting off well....

Support by P.M isn't allowed because:
> Others may also like to know the answers
> We ca't track what goes on by P.M
> Some members (many actually) don't like receiving these

Kilsek, I'll ask o you not to encourage nor answer these sort of P.Ms

Pamela: Hi, support requests are meant to be done in the adequate subsection of the Support Forum, whereas here we're in the General Discussions.
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 17th 2008, 7:47 pm

No the problem is with people cant find answers to thier problems is............

.........................They DO NOT do a search. Lets be honest about this I actually counted 53 posts that could have been answered if the poster did a search.

That being said, I really dont minds helping folks by PM or by post.

OOPS, I didn't see the bottom of Caihlems post.

Last edited by Kilsek on April 17th 2008, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamela April 17th 2008, 7:56 pm

Kilsek wrote:No the problem is with people cant find answers to thier problems is............

.........................They DO NOT do a search. Lets be honest about this I actually counted 53 posts that could have been answered if the poster did a search.

The problems is, I have searched and searched. I can't find the answer to my issues...I am just trying to fix it myself...
Pamela
Pamela
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper April 17th 2008, 8:09 pm

Pamela wrote:
Kilsek wrote:No the problem is with people cant find answers to thier problems is............

The problems is, I have searched and searched. I can't find the answer to my issues...I am just trying to fix it myself...

Thats fine, that is what we are here for. Of course if you have searched and can't find an answer you can start a topic and ask your question, just find the appropriate section for your question and start a topic.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Forumember

Male Posts : 698

http://photochallenge.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamela April 17th 2008, 8:18 pm

travis_cooper wrote:
Pamela wrote:

Thats fine, that is what we are here for. Of course if you have searched and can't find an answer you can start a topic and ask your question, just find the appropriate section for your question and start a topic.
Thanks travis_cooper...
Pamela
Pamela
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles April 17th 2008, 11:22 pm

I totally agree with not answering questions via pm. And this is NOT just because I am a staff member. I was like that before I became a staff member.

If I have a friend who I might pm with, just talking in general, asks me a support question. What is my reply? I say, "Sure! I would love to help, but after you post it in the forum. Just make sure you use a good title specific to the problem such as...." Which I then give a sugggestion and explain why.

As Hitesh, Luky and Caihlem all stated is that by helping in the forum, we have the potential of reaching many future members who actually do use the search feature to find answers. So instead of helping just one, essentially I am helping many by refusing to help via pm.

And to say that no one uses the search engine is just silly. And I am just as silly, as I have been guilty of saying that on more than one occasion. But that is only because it "appears" to be that way.

I mean think about it. If someone searches, finds their answers, solves their problem. Are they gonna post and say, "Hey I had a problem but I searched for it and found it, so I don't need to post!"?? Nope, it isn't gonna happen.

So we truly don't know how many are reached via the search feature. But if you compare how many members we have compared to how many actually post, you can get an idea.

When I came here the first time, I asked a few questions, but searched everything else. And I am sure my questions could have been found from a search. But that didn't mean I never used the search facility. Wink
Skittles
Skittles
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 3013
Language : English, Sarcasm and a bit of Swedish

http://moonlightcafe.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 18th 2008, 2:06 am

skittlespc wrote:
But that is only because it "appears" to be that way.

Appears? Should I get the links of about what 10, 20 posts that could have been answered via the search? And them posts are within the last 2 weeks.

And to bring something else up that would settle this whole problem, where are all the tutorials that were supposed to be published? Oh the same place as the theme selector that won the big vote! Ya I haven't forgotten.

If these tutorials where in place and worded better than some older ones, it would avoid a lot of posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa April 18th 2008, 3:46 am

As Hitesh, Luky and Caihlem all stated is that by helping in the forum,
we have the potential of reaching many future members who actually do
use the search feature to find answers. So instead of helping just one,
essentially I am helping many by refusing to help via pm.

I totally agree, I have denied support by PM numerous times for the same reasons really. It may seem some what mean but in the long hall why not have it beniefet everyone instead of just one member privately. Wink

And Kilsek. I also see alot of posts by members who could easily use the search feature like I do and quickly find the answers themselves, but don't. Nor read the rules first. Which I wish they would..lol Guess we can't ask for miricales ,eh? Razz

But a bit of the tutorials did disappeared after some staff left here. But I think alot of those have been replaced already, no?
Nessa
Nessa
Energetic

Female Posts : 6203

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamela April 18th 2008, 3:55 am

I agree that discussing it openly is great....The only thing, especially for me, is that I don't know half the correct language to use when asking a question.

On the other hand, if I don't know the proper computer language to ask, how then can I properly search? That is one of my problems...

Searching for me is sometimes not beneficial because I don't know what I am specifically looking for. Though I do search intently on this place...Sometimes it is a blind search....
Pamela
Pamela
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by hitesh April 18th 2008, 4:27 am

Pamela wrote:I agree that discussing it openly is great....The only thing, especially for me, is that I don't know half the correct language to use when asking a question.

On the other hand, if I don't know the proper computer language to ask, how then can I properly search? That is one of my problems...

Searching for me is sometimes not beneficial because I don't know what I am specifically looking for. Though I do search intently on this place...Sometimes it is a blind search....

Ok if you dont find from search open a new topic in appropriate section and also add comment in the down that i search but could not find. Very Happy

Usually i get daily 5 to 10 Pms asking help. I dont like that. I think by this we would call forumotion support forum as "PMs of the Forums". Wink

It seems that my topic has gone far away what i have thought. I would more suggestions here. Wink
hitesh
hitesh
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 18th 2008, 4:36 am

[quote="Nessa"]

But a bit of the tutorials did disappeared after some staff left here. But I think alot of those have been replaced already, no?

No they havent and some that are there are dead links. Caihlem did start redoing them. There are plenty of tutorials written people just need to find them. I have written quit a few and submitted a couple here in the past but they were never added.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skittles April 18th 2008, 5:14 am

Kilsek wrote:
skittlespc wrote:
But that is only because it "appears" to be that way.

Appears? Should I get the links of about what 10, 20 posts that could have been answered via the search? And them posts are within the last 2 weeks.

You are totally missing the point I was trying to make.

Never was I directing my post towards you Kilsek, or implying that your comment was untrue. I am sure you have counted as many as you have found, as many have also done in the past. Yes it is very frustrating when we know someone could have the answers if they only used the search engine. But sadly the facts are, that people don't read everything, not everyone thinks about it, no everyone knows the technical terms to search for, as Pamela mentioned. No matter how much you or me, or staff members or other members yell and complain about it, it is fact and it's not going to change no matter how much we want it to. That is just life in general.

My point that I was making by saying "appears" was again not saying your counts appeared to be as much as you say. My point was to say that it "appears" as tho no one uses the search feature. We, and again I include myself in this, as I mentioned in my first post, we in general who get frustrated don't see all of those who DO use the search engine. Because they have no need to post, because they got their answers. So all we see are those posts from those who either did not use the search, don't understand the search or terms to search, or still have questions.

And I am sure that all questions now a days, unless it is in regards to a new feature, or a feature we would like to have, or some new technical problem, has at one point been asked and answered and could be found in the search. But the fact remains that we are a support forum. We are here to help regardless. Otherwise, we might as well call the forum an Self-Service Read the Archives forum. And that is not what we are about.

We are not going to allow this great topic to become a flaming thread or a bash and complain about Forumotion thread. But I will let Caihlem or Luky deal with that, as they handle the Discussion Forum.

Oh and Nessa you were correct in your thinking that many were deleted when former staff members left. Wink

I am sure that Hitesh would like to get back to the subject at hand. Wink
Skittles
Skittles
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 3013
Language : English, Sarcasm and a bit of Swedish

http://moonlightcafe.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by hitesh April 18th 2008, 10:19 am

skittlespc wrote:
I am sure that Hitesh would like to get back to the subject at hand. Wink

Sorry i think i made mistake in the line you quoted. I was saying that the topic has been started a well not that its direction has change.

What i think is that for similar question 10 to 20 Answers are there in support forum. But the problem is that people uses different words for telling their problem and never find appropriate thing in search. So they PM but i think it would be better to post in support forum and get replied. I also thing when you reply (Staff Members) then always try to search and give him the url of allready solved similar problem.

Also One time i was thinking how kicked off Would you support by PMs. Redface one of my bad moderator. He became cruel against member but he had posted many good topics so i just deleted his account so that his post never get deleted. Would you support by PMs. Redface
hitesh
hitesh
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest April 18th 2008, 2:27 pm

Back on topic......

Ok so I have stated I do and did support help via PM and now I know that it is shonned upon.

So do we all agree that if there were tutorials on many subjects that support via pm would stop? Or slow down to a crawl?

I would be honored to write the tutorials for the site, or just copy and paste from the ones I have now Smile but only if I know that the work will not be in vane and they will be listed.

Back to top Go down

Post by hitesh April 18th 2008, 4:06 pm

i could suggest that this tutorial must approved a little bit more. My one famous tutorial "Put adsense on every page" was denied here though it was very useful as many member like that when i post that tutorial in their topics.

So i think tutorial must be allowed. Ya, they can be modified so that it become official look.

I support you kilsek in this matter
hitesh
hitesh
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem April 18th 2008, 9:30 pm

Game Over

This thread has lasted ling enough and therefore I'm locking

But, to set some of the records straight:
> Tutorials did dissapear; when the french staff left they took the tutorials (and translations) with them Rolling Eyes
> Submitted tutorials are alwayslooked into and only added if relevant

=> Lock

P.S: There's no ego awards on this forum
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down