The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Private Messaging

3 posters

Go down

Private Messaging Empty Private Messaging

Post by Dreamslayer September 4th 2008, 3:01 am

Ok, so me and a couple of my Friends on a site were having some difficulty because, someone was hacked and was sending some very Innappropriate and Dis-respectful things to other members of the forum using the hacked person's account to, get that person banned or what not.

So what i was wondering is,
If there is a way to view a private Message, when your an Administrator of the Forum. If so please tell me how or if this could be done.

Thanks!
Dreamslayer
Dreamslayer
Dreamslayer

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Private Messaging Empty Re: Private Messaging

Post by Guest September 4th 2008, 7:08 am

Hello,

A Private Message can only be viewed by the sender and the recipient. The only way to report PM abuse is for the recipient to take a screenshot of the message, then upload it, and send it to a Moderator or Administrator of the forum who can deal with the user.

These are Private Messages we are talking about, not Public Messages. If Administrators were able to see the Private Messages, then it would be considered Privacy Invasion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistique September 29th 2008, 9:53 am

Hi

I have problem with PM.
When we write and try to send PM, we see window with this text - "The message is not send", but later, the recipient get the message.

Can please somebody answer me?

And how can I dissable sending PM for new user, till they have 100 posts?
Mistique
Mistique

Female Posts : 11
Language : Macedonian, Serbian, Croatian, English

http://roditeliideca.bbgraf.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk September 29th 2008, 10:20 am

Scamite wrote:Hello,

A Private Message can only be viewed by the sender and the recipient. The only way to report PM abuse is for the recipient to take a screenshot of the message, then upload it, and send it to a Moderator or Administrator of the forum who can deal with the user.

These are Private Messages we are talking about, not Public Messages. If Administrators were able to see the Private Messages, then it would be considered Privacy Invasion.

actually there is a way you can mod someones private messages if you need to.
remember you are an administrator and you can log in as anyone if you need to.
but b/f you going doing all that. you better be sure that is something you want to do.you can lose all respect and credibility from members if word got out an admin was snooping in someones Pm's b/c private messages are supposed to be private.
plus if members feel that you are an admin they can not trust that's no good either.
trust is very important.. hey as an admin sometime depending what the situation you have to make tuff choices..it's all part of the game.(in a matter of speaking)

but on the other hand if you feel there are members there doing or trading something illegal in your private messaging . then you have every wright to go in and make sure that is not happening.. but on the other hand.
you can not be held liable or responsible something you have no control over either.

i had to make a hard decision once for that. i have seen some messages that other members had sent me of the member asking them if they would be interested. talked it over with staff and made the decision to go in...b/c to me it did not matter that i can ban them or take away there pm privileges. if there something corrupt or illegal going on on my forum then your damn wright. i want to know exactly what it is and take all proper measures necessary and steps to see it will not happen again. well lets just say it was indeed the wright decision. what i discovered was not a pretty picture and the proper authorities were notified along with 4 other members that were also involved in doing what they were doing. (if you must know)

they were a couple collage students sharing pic's video of girls they supposedly slipped a Micky and date raped.. so your god damn wright i did what i had to do.. the whole thing was sicking and still disturbing to me till this day. there was an investigation and i was in contact with authorities for a wile. but i dont think there was enough Prof or evidence and i dont know if it ever lead to anything or not..
but that was not going to happen on my forum. the main thing was i felt i have done the moral responsible thing to do as a admin and human-being
for the record. this was a 4 may be 5 years ago and it was not a forumotion forum... not that it matters. but i did end up closing the whole forum. there was no way to tell if there were more people doing it or not. i just got rid of it all together.

so just be sure if that's something you really want to do before doing that.. for me it worked and would not change a thing that i did. but now if i went in and it was nothing.. i would have felt like an big a hole. but i would do it all again if were under the same circumstances no doubt. homie don't play when it comes to dirt bags trying to be sneaky and doing something corrupt on my forum.. and that's that. do not pass go do not collect 200 dollars... lol

if it's just spam.. then ban them or take away there pm privileges

Mistique wrote:Hi

I have problem with PM.
When we write and try to send PM, we see window with this text - "The message is not send", but later, the recipient get the message.

Can please somebody answer me?

And how can I disable sending PM for new user, till they have 100 posts?

you have to go to user/groups
in there either do a search for the user, or go through the list. click there name.
at the bottom of there profile page you will see (can send private messages)
just click no and hit save. now you can set your forum for no pm available.. only to the members you wish to allow. but unfortunately there is now way for it to be automatically when the reach a post count. you have to do it manually for allowing or disallowing..

hope that helps
Scamite wrote:Hello,

then it would be considered Privacy Invasion.
well you could be correct on that?? dunno
but the way i see it as admin/creator of your forum. anything and everything is your business now matter what is posted or going on to your forum...it's your forum and you have every wright to know whats going on with it.after all we are responsible for making sure that all rules and tos are followed or we can lose the forum. so in a scene everything is our business. i have bin to forums b/f ware they have wright in the rules that Pm's would be randomly moderated.. and there are some forum modules and forums that allow you the option of modding Pm's..

so once again. it's a very tuff decision to make. i for one am a pretty laid back administrator. it takes lots for me to have to ban someone and i respect members privacy and many opinions that i may disagree with. but if there's something going on in Pm's that should not be...
(and I'm talking something on the grounds of what i stated above.) even know if i can not be personally help responsible for it.. i will not tolerate any garbage on my forums period.
then that's the minute i step in. they loose all privacy rights and i put my foot down.
I'm a easy going guy. but i will not tolerate anything corrupt on my forums.
the buck stops there and they can get to stepping.

if it's something illegal or corrupt going on on our forums?i feel we have every wright to know what and ware it is. Pm's or not. we as administrators have a responsibility and duty to see it will no longer happen..
so that's just the way i look at it.
and like i said .. it takes a lot for me to have to take some kind of action like going into Pm's and so far i only had to do it that one time. other then something really bad going on in them. i can care less what members are talking about.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down