The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Still having problems with members account.

3 posters

Go down

Still having problems with members account. Empty Still having problems with members account.

Post by ~Zoe~ September 13th 2008, 9:29 pm

Hi,
I posted the other day about a member who's account was deleted. Well, on the advice of a staff member on here, I created a test account to see if activating one account deleted the one before (if that makes sense!). It didn't, so I emailed the member and told them to re-register and it should be fine.

She has just emailed me on a reply saying her account had been deleted AGAIN, and she sent me a copy of the email she received from admin (me) telling her account had been deleted, and to contact admin to find out why. Now I have no other staff members on the forum as it's still very quiet, and it's not a case of her deleting it as she is receiving this email. No one else has ahd this problem. I have changed the password just in case of a hacker, but it doesn't seem to have worked. Can anyone help?!
~Zoe~

Language : English

View user profile http://www.mums-drop-in.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Still having problems with members account. Empty Re: Still having problems with members account.

Post by §çà®Fãçë™ September 13th 2008, 9:36 pm

Did you check all of the security logs?
§çà®Fãçë™
§çà®Fãçë™
Forumember

Male Posts : 132
Language : English Swedish C++

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Still having problems with members account. Empty Re: Still having problems with members account.

Post by DEVO12345 September 13th 2008, 9:42 pm

Changing passes wont help the hacker is probz brute forcing.
DEVO12345

Language : English,french.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Zoe~ September 13th 2008, 9:51 pm

On the Admin action thing it say's I have deleted the account both times it has happened, but The times it shows, I was asleep in bed so it defo wasn't me! Is there anything apart from changing passwords i can do?
~Zoe~

Back to top Go down

Post by §çà®Fãçë™ September 13th 2008, 9:58 pm

~Zoe~ wrote:On the Admin action thing it say's I have deleted the account both times it has happened, but The times it shows, I was asleep in bed so it defo wasn't me! Is there anything apart from changing passwords i can do?

I would still check the IP of whoever was recorded as deleting the account, and compare it to your IP ( run a whois check ), if it's the same then I guess it's something else, if it's different then you know someone has gained access to your admin panel.
§çà®Fãçë™
§çà®Fãçë™
Forumember

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Zoe~ September 13th 2008, 10:01 pm

One is the same as the IP address shown for an action I know I defo did, but the other is completely different. I'm guessing someone has got in to the admin panel-is there anything I can do about it? Have changed my password again just now.
~Zoe~

Back to top Go down

Post by §çà®Fãçë™ September 13th 2008, 10:20 pm

Run an ip trace using http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/ and look at the ISP who is providing the IP, the abuse email address for the ISP should be listed there, report them and give their ISP the relevant info, good chance is you'll have them net banned, and possibly blacklisted from using internet at that address.
§çà®Fãçë™
§çà®Fãçë™
Forumember

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ~Zoe~ September 13th 2008, 10:26 pm

thank you
~Zoe~

Back to top Go down

Post by §çà®Fãçë™ September 13th 2008, 10:37 pm

Also, create a strong password, make it as long as possible with as many combinations of lower case, upper case, numbers and spaces to make it harder to breach.

Example of a strong password: ( But obviously don't use this one )

ayD4 d 99lWs ns4

Let us know how you get on.
§çà®Fãçë™
§çà®Fãçë™
Forumember

View user profile

Back to top Go down