The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RESTRICT HTML PAGE ACCESS

5 posters

Go down

RESTRICT HTML PAGE ACCESS Empty RESTRICT HTML PAGE ACCESS

Post by Merlin333 October 30th 2008, 7:02 pm

I have noticed that there is a significant access of my HTML pages by people who are not members. Is there a way to force login before these pages can be accessed?

Thanks
Merlin333
Merlin333
Merlin333
Forumember

Male Posts : 147
Language : English

http://www.merlin333.bigforumlive.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

RESTRICT HTML PAGE ACCESS Empty Re: RESTRICT HTML PAGE ACCESS

Post by luxor8 November 5th 2008, 1:38 am

I also would like to know the answer to this question.
luxor8

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMark09 November 5th 2008, 1:55 am

Yes.

ACP > Categories & Forums > (now this is kind of the tricky part but, bear with me.) Click permissions on one of your categories/forums > Don't let guests view it.
TheMark09
Forumember

Male Posts : 191
Language : English, German

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 5th 2008, 2:25 am

that is not what he is asking,

you might be able to do this if you choose you use your forum's header and footer, but that might not work either. Other than that there is no way that I can think of.

Sorry
Drag~

Back to top Go down

Post by Tricky14 November 5th 2008, 3:30 am

Merlin333 wrote:I have noticed that there is a significant access of my HTML pages by people who are not members. Is there a way to force login before these pages can be accessed?

Thanks
Merlin333
How exactly are they getting in? Do you have the link posted somewhere, do they just know it, or do you have it in the Nav Bar?

Link- Move it to a locked forum where only members can access it.
Know it- You will need to remake the HTML page, with a different title.
Nav Bar- Set the authorization level of it to Members

If you want to stop all of those older guests who know the page from getting in, delete it and remake it with a different title.

Hello
Tricky14
Tricky14
Forumember

Male Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin333 November 5th 2008, 4:37 am

Tricky14 wrote:
Merlin333 wrote:I have noticed that there is a significant access of my HTML pages by people who are not members. Is there a way to force login before these pages can be accessed?

Thanks
Merlin333
How exactly are they getting in? Do you have the link posted somewhere, do they just know it, or do you have it in the Nav Bar?

Link- Move it to a locked forum where only members can access it.
Know it- You will need to remake the HTML page, with a different title.
Nav Bar- Set the authorization level of it to Members

If you want to stop all of those older guests who know the page from getting in, delete it and remake it with a different title.

Hello

To be honest there is no method for me to determine what method they use. Thee are a million developer tools that give a user information about internet pages or it is as simple as right clicking, looking at the location box in their browsers or clicking back on a link from a google search..

The point is I want to funnel some of that traffic to registered membership. All of my pages have trackers on them so I can "see" the traffic which gives me a good indication that my content is developing interest.

The HTML pages have some of the best content so I want to use it to attract registered members.

TheMark09
that method restricts access to the forum

dragonfir731
Adding the headers and footers does nothing to restrict access.
The pages in question have them already. What happens is that
the forum widgets appear only when the user is logged in.

Merlin333 Cool
Merlin333
Merlin333
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by xxxVIPERxxx November 5th 2008, 5:48 am

You can't unless you run your own server. This is freeware and they can't put in place what you need to force people not to see things, nor keep them from viewing source codes and trashing/ripping/hacking your sites.

It takes lots of skill to protect a site from anybody. Anybody with half a brain can bypass most freeware systems without breaking a sweat.

Sorry, I just don't see you stopping it....
xxxVIPERxxx
xxxVIPERxxx
Forumember

Male Posts : 317
Language : Opinionated, English & Army

http://www.sgtlegend.com/LightFighter

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin333 November 5th 2008, 7:01 am

xxxVIPERxxx wrote:You can't unless you run your own server. This is freeware and they can't put in place what you need to force people not to see things, nor keep them from viewing source codes and trashing/ripping/hacking your sites.

It takes lots of skill to protect a site from anybody. Anybody with half a brain can bypass most freeware systems without breaking a sweat.

Sorry, I just don't see you stopping it....

This is a curious answer particularly in light of the fact that clicking a simple access menu restricts access to the forum and there are various methods on board and which can be instituted by the forum owners to augment security. I have found several methods to restrict pages - I have tried them and they work BUT they require a password entry - (I don't want this method). Of course, any access method can be circumvented. I think you are overstating my request - I am not looking for a security method - in my view it would be an idiotic waste of time to "hack" my site or for me to spend a lot for security - I have a method to easily recreate my forum anywhere if something should compromise it. I am simply looking for a method to make the links to my HTML pages accessible only through site login. I'm not really a programmer and though Forumotion may not provide a method, but from what I know myself it can't be so complicated as to be "unimplementable"....

Merlin333
Merlin333
Merlin333
Forumember

Back to top Go down