The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed

3 posters

Go down

Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed Empty Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed

Post by hilde November 13th 2008, 1:53 pm

I have read this forum up and down, FAQ and everything, but i still cant get this right..

Here is what i need help to do:

I have made a Category called RAK (random act of kindness), and i want this to be for only invited member. This is because there will be full adresses and so on in this underforum.

I want the RAK category to show in the forum , but not the underforum where all the information is ?
How can i do this.. I really need step-by-step help here. Have been trying for 2 days, and i cant get it right.

The link to my forum is:
www.scrappeliten.bigforumpro.com
hilde
hilde
Forumember

Language : Norway / Denmark

Back to top Go down

Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed Empty Re: Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed

Post by Jalokim November 13th 2008, 2:20 pm

so you have this RAK on a separate forum or page??
or is it part of your forum and you want only invited members to see it.?

if its separate, then you need to make a redirectional link instead of a forum link.
go to your forums management and edit the forum you want to redirect people ... then in the name of the forum change it to this:
Code:
<a href="paste the url of the separate forum or page here"> RAK</a>

and save the code.

if its part of your forum ... then you have to do this.
I think the invited members are like VIP members correct? if normal members register they don't see it??

well if you you need to create a new group.
admin panel -> users and groups -> create a new group... call it invited members or VIP members or just members. set it as a special rank.

then go to your forum management... and edit your RAK forum... switch to the permissions tab ... and make it so admins and mods see the forum and the invited members... then unselect the guests and members ... so they don't see it...

after that... you will have to add the new rank (vip rank) to all those that were invited manually. that way they'll see the RAK forum.

I hope thats what you looking for
Jalokim
Jalokim
Energetic

Male Posts : 6113
Language : English,Polish,CSS,HTML

Back to top Go down

Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed Empty Re: Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed

Post by hilde November 13th 2008, 2:35 pm

Jalokim wrote:
if its part of your forum ... then you have to do this.
I think the invited members are like VIP members correct? if normal members register they don't see it??

well if you you need to create a new group.
admin panel -> users and groups -> create a new group... call it invited members or VIP members or just members. set it as a special rank.

then go to your forum management... and edit your RAK forum... switch to the permissions tab ... and make it so admins and mods see the forum and the invited members... then unselect the guests and members ... so they don't see it...

So far so good, i have manageded to do this with luck Wink , but now the whole category is hidden..If it is possible i would like every member to se the Category, but not the underforums where the information is. The underforum is just for invited guest.
Im not so good at explanining Embarassed , but i want everybody to se that the forum has RAK category, so that they can send me a pm if they want to seek membership in this group

after that... you will have to add the new rank (vip rank) to all those that were invited manually. that way they'll see the RAK forum.

This part I dont understand quite ? Where do I have to go to add a new rank, and will they then automaticly become member of the RAK group ?

I hope thats what you looking for
hilde
hilde
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kjmj14 November 13th 2008, 2:45 pm

go to:

admin panel>general>categories and forums>go to a certain forum that is in your RAK categories and click midify>permissions>unchecked the box view and read in the guest section>click save

Hope this help you....
Razz
kjmj14
Forumember

Male Posts : 795
Language : English

http://kjmj14.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hilde November 13th 2008, 2:56 pm

kjmj14 wrote:go to:

admin panel>general>categories and forums>go to a certain forum that is in your RAK categories and click midify>permissions>unchecked the box view and read in the guest section>click save

Hope this help you....
Razz

I think this is what i already have done ? But when I log in with my husbands username, i dont se the RAK category at all.. Only when i am logged in as Hilde...

Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed Rak10
hilde
hilde
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kjmj14 November 13th 2008, 3:02 pm

I think I see your problem is.
Did you install some forum into your categories?
Because if there's no forum that are putted into this categories.
The categories that you made will be hidden for as long there is no forum added there.

Try to see if you put the correct forum into your RAK categories.
kjmj14
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by hilde November 13th 2008, 3:08 pm

kjmj14 wrote:I think I see your problem is.
Did you install some forum into your categories?
Because if there's no forum that are putted into this categories.
The categories that you made will be hidden for as long there is no forum added there.

Try to see if you put the correct forum into your RAK categories.

I have 2 forums under the RAK categori...hmmmm i can not understand what i am doing wrong here ?

Is there something i should printscreen so that you maybe could se what i am missing ?

Last edited by hilde on November 13th 2008, 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
hilde
hilde
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kjmj14 November 13th 2008, 3:14 pm

Post some screen shoot so i can see what is wrong with your forum.
kjmj14
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kjmj14 November 13th 2008, 3:19 pm

There's nothing wrong with your setting.
Maybe you just need to resynchronize you forum again.
kjmj14
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by hilde November 13th 2008, 3:26 pm

Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed Rak212

Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed Rak311

Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed Rak411

Closed category/forum for invited guests...help needed Rak510

Last edited by hilde on November 13th 2008, 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
hilde
hilde
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by hilde November 13th 2008, 3:28 pm

kjmj14 wrote:There's nothing wrong with your setting.
Maybe you just need to resynchronize you forum again.

And how do i do that Embarassed
hilde
hilde
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kjmj14 November 13th 2008, 3:31 pm

Go to:
admin panel>general>configuration

Then in the lower part of the page check the "Check it to resynchronize" then hit save.

Hope this help you.
Razz
kjmj14
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by hilde November 13th 2008, 4:11 pm

kjmj14 wrote:Go to:
admin panel>general>configuration

Then in the lower part of the page check the "Check it to resynchronize" then hit save.

Hope this help you.
Razz

hmm i have don that now, but things are just the same..When I am logged in as me, i can se RAK categori, but when my husband logs in he can not see anything..

The pictures i uploaded of printscreen, does that look oki ??
hilde
hilde
Forumember

Back to top Go down