The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another suggestion for better search function

+31
Marvin
slartibartfast
!_NICK_!
pauliusval99
flik
linda55
Strangelove
Chimi
Kerry Kistler
Darren1
that70sguy92
Nelsaidi
Master Marc
~Chris
:)tayne:)
Dreamlimix
dstanley
thunderboyx
vvw
Rok
Tarogasini
HBX210
Blofeld
Sanket
MrMega
commando
InsanityVonMike
Bpoetic
Doctor Inferno
astrodene
Brad38
35 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do you want a search engine that works on your forum?

Another suggestion for better search function - Page 2 Left11100%Another suggestion for better search function - Page 2 Right11 100% 
[ 70 ]
Another suggestion for better search function - Page 2 Left110%Another suggestion for better search function - Page 2 Right11 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 70

Poll closed

Another suggestion for better search function - Page 2 Empty Another suggestion for better search function

Post by Brad38 November 29th 2008, 1:20 am

First topic message reminder :

I know this has been mentioned before, but we really need to have the search function work properly on our forums. All words should be able to be searched in a phrase and bring up appropriate results. This is something that many members have complained about for as long as I've been here.

Please vote for this, I think it's one of the most important and basic things we need to have fixed.
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Male Posts : 667
Language : english

http://pigeonchat.forumakers.com/

Back to top Go down

Another suggestion for better search function - Page 2 Empty Re: Another suggestion for better search function

Post by Darren1 August 19th 2010, 9:44 am

Alas!
Don't get your hopes up too high, Until forumotion changes the base coding this won't happen for a while....
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Another suggestion for better search function - Page 2 Empty Re: Another suggestion for better search function

Post by Kerry Kistler September 20th 2010, 8:49 pm

YES! This is not an exotic request but a basic function in an information age. We need to give our members the ability to find a target word within posts not just post titles.

Why the delay on this???
Kerry Kistler
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Chimi October 5th 2010, 11:40 pm

I registered specifically so I can vote for this feature.

Being unable to search on words in the body of a post is basically making the search box useless for our forum.
Chimi

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 January 29th 2011, 4:21 am

Bumping up. I hope that we can get more votes for a better internal search for our boards. Some of us use our forums for sharing information and a proper search is vital for our members to find things they are looking for.
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 February 11th 2011, 8:09 pm

Bumping up! Smile
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Strangelove February 13th 2011, 1:24 pm

Voted yes. Really need this badly.

In the mean time does anyone know of an externally made search widget we can add to the forum as a workaround?
Strangelove
Forumember

Male Posts : 48
Language : Englsih

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 February 14th 2011, 2:27 pm

Strangelove wrote:
In the mean time does anyone know of an externally made search widget we can add to the forum as a workaround?

The only thing you could add would be a google widget, but this won't work any better or differently than the google search already used by our forums. The problem with google searches is that they don't reference all topics on your forum and you may have to wait a long time for this to happen. Google will miss lots of topics and post on Forumotion boards.
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Strangelove February 14th 2011, 6:49 pm

Brad38 wrote:The only thing you could add would be a google widget, but this won't work any better or differently than the google search already used by our forums. The problem with google searches is that they don't reference all topics on your forum and you may have to wait a long time for this to happen. Google will miss lots of topics and post on Forumotion boards.

Someone else mentioned this thing:

http://flashvortex.com/generators.php?generatorId=275

But I can't get it working.

EDIT: I got it working. And its rubbish. It's a 'google site' search and it gives terrible results.

Its the same as going to google and typing:

(search query here) Site:(url of website here)

Last edited by Strangelove on February 14th 2011, 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Strangelove
Forumember

Male Posts : 48
Language : Englsih

Back to top Go down

Post by Brad38 February 14th 2011, 7:55 pm

I really don't know anything about this site you've provided, but what I can say is that I've asked the best and most knowledgeable person here about a better search for my forum. He assures me that there is nothing that can be done externally to improve the searches on our forums. I've begged and pleaded with him to help me with a better search and he says that it's impossible because Forumotion has to upgrade their MySQL access in order to have a properly working search
Brad38
Brad38
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by linda55 September 12th 2011, 6:51 pm

very old issue, and still can not be fixed, why?
linda55

Back to top Go down

Post by flik October 20th 2011, 3:11 am

Wished the search worked better in our forum. We hardly get any search results with that, no matter wich terms we try. Very frustrating. Don't think we can do anything about that ourselves.
flik

Language : dutch

Back to top Go down

Post by pauliusval99 October 20th 2011, 8:49 am

yeah this is good
pauliusval99

Back to top Go down

Post by !_NICK_! October 20th 2011, 8:53 am

Now that I think about it, I vote yes also!
!_NICK_!
!_NICK_!
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1505
Language : English, HTML, and CSS

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast January 12th 2012, 10:39 pm

And still nothing's happened. I'm wondering if it is possible to implement Google "Search this site" box?
slartibartfast
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Marvin January 25th 2012, 6:08 pm

yess!!
Marvin
Marvin
Forumember

Male Posts : 320
Language : German, basic English, Spanish, basic Bavarian, broken Italian

http://www.schiggysboard.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 6th 2012, 3:27 pm

I know the secret, how to find what you want.

Most of us write more than 1 word in searchbox. And the results are going 'crazy". But, that's it, we need to write only 1 word, the bascial word.
Also, if we want to write 2 words, you don't need. Search only 1 and for second word use Search option from the browser....

Anyway, voted YES! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Omu March 6th 2012, 8:32 pm

My vote for you is yes Wink
Omu
Omu
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1021
Language : Romanian, English

http://techtitans.forumer.ro/

Back to top Go down

Post by ~@dikz~ March 31st 2012, 10:47 am

yes Another suggestion for better search function - Page 2 174352
~@dikz~
~@dikz~
Forumember

Male Posts : 363
Language : English & Tagalog

http://adikz.forumtl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by koljach June 29th 2012, 9:15 pm

i am bumping this, and support this petition with my YES vote.
So forumotion staff, everyone voted yes, and topic is from 2008. Why do you not listen your users' voices?
koljach

Language : Croatian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy April 28th 2014, 9:36 am

Already suggested => Locked
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2