The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

html page widget shows in panel, not on page

2 posters

Go down

html page widget shows in panel, not on page Empty html page widget shows in panel, not on page

Post by jaebaeli December 6th 2008, 12:31 am

I added code to the html page panel, and when i preview it, it shows up fine in the preview. I submit it and reload the home page and it's not there. I've cleaned out cache, redone it, and everything else i can think of, but i get the same result. It shows correctly in preview but not on my page. Here's what it looked like in preview:
html page widget shows in panel, not on page Wordwidget1

That word definition you see is the widget.

Here's the code:
Code:
<font color="#f9fbdc">
<script language="Javascript">
<!--

function line() {
};
line = new line();
number = 0;

line[number++] = "<b>loid</b>- To open a locked door by sliding a thin piece of celluloid or plastic between the door edge and doorframe to force open a spring lock."

line[number++] = "<b>squamous</b>-<i>SKWEY-muhs</i>- Covered with or formed of squamae or scales."

line[number++] = "<b>autodidact</b><i> - aw-toh-DAHY-dakt</i>. A person who has learned a subject without the benefit of a teacher or formal education, a self-taught person."

line[number++] = "<b>gravitas</b><i>- GRAV-i-tahs</i>. Seriousness or sobriety, as of conduct or speech."

line[number++] = "<b>threnody</b><i>THREN-uh-dee</i>- A poem, speech, or song of lamentation, esp. for the dead. Dirge, funeral song."

line[number++] = "<b>strafing</b>- To attack - ground troops or installations - by airplanes with machine-gun fire. <i>Slang.</i> to reprimand viciously."

line[number++] = "<b>skein-</b><i>skayn</i> A length of thread or yarn wound in a loose long coil. Something suggesting the coil of a skein, a complex tangle. A flock of geese or similar birds in flight."

line[number++] = "<b>redoubt</b><i>ree-DOUT.</i> - A small, often temporary defensive fortification. A reinforcing earthwork or breastwork within a permanent rampart. A protected place of refuge or defense."

line[number++] ="<b>eldritch</b> - Eerie, weird, spooky."

line[number++] ="<b> betise </b>-<i>be-TEEZ</i> lack of understanding, perception, or the like, stupidity. A stupid or foolish act or remark. Something inconsequential or without merit, absurdity, trifle."

line[number++] = "<b>fatuity</b>-<i>fuh-TOO-i-tee</i> Complacent stupidity, foolishness. Something foolish, betise."

line[number++] = "<b>monoclinous</b> <i>mon-uh-KLINE-uhs. </i>- of a plant, species, etc. having both the stamens and pistils in the same flower."

line[number++] = "<b>noblesse oblige </b>- <i>no-bless-oh-BLEEJ</i> - The moral obligation of those of high birth, powerful social position, etc. To act with honor, kindliness, generosity, etc. Benevolent, honorable behavior considered to be the responsibility of persons of high birth or rank. The belief that the wealthy and privileged are obliged to help those less fortunate. From French, meaning <i>nobility obligates</i>."

line[number++] = "<b>vociferous</b> - Crying out noisily, clamorous. Characterized by or uttered with vociferation."

line[number++] = "<b>ineffable</b> - Incapable of being expressed or described in words, inexpressible, ineffable joy.  Not to be spoken because of its sacredness, unutterable."

line[number++] = "<b>whid</b> - To move quickly and quietly. A quick, noiseless movement."

line[number++] = "<b>veldt</b>- the open country, bearing grass, bushes, or shrubs, or thinly forested, characteristic of parts of southern Africa."

line[number++] = "<b>effloresce</b>- <i>EFF-floor-ESS </i>- to burst into bloom, blossom."

line[number++] = "<b>spall</b>- A chip, fragment, or flake from a piece of stone or ore."

line[number++] = "<b>patinaed</b> - <i>puh-TEEN-uhd. </i> Having a coating, covering, or sheen. Used especially to describe the corrosive green layer that forms on copper and its alloys."

line[number++] = "<b>decolletage</b><i> - day-kohl-TAHZH. </i> A low neckline on a woman's garment, specially a dress. A dress with a low neckline in front."

line[number++] = "<b>miasma</b> - Noxious exhalations from putrescent organic matter, poisonous effluvia or germs polluting the atmosphere. A dangerous, foreboding, or deathlike influence or atmosphere."

line[number++] ="<b>serpentine</b> - Of, characteristic of, or resembling a serpent, as in form or movement. Having a winding course, as a road, sinuous. Shrewd, wily, or cunning."

line[number++] = "<b>declivity</b> - a downward slope, as of ground - opposed to<i>acclivity</i>."

line[number++] = "<b>farrago</b>-<i>fuh-RAH-goh</i>. A confused mixture, hodgepodge, medley."

line[number++] = "<b>sartorial</b>- Of or relating to a tailor, tailoring, or tailored clothing - <i>sartorial elegance</i>."

line[number++] = "<b>disquisition</b> - a formal discourse or treatise in which a subject is examined and discussed. Dissertation."

line[number++] = "<b>Lothario</b> - A man who obsessively seduces and deceives women."

line[number++] = "<b>noumenon</b>- In the philosophy of Kant, an object as it is in itself independent of the mind, as opposed to a phenomenon. Also called <i>thing-in-itself</i>."

line[number++] = "<b>sinuosity</b><i> - SIN-yoo-AHS-a-tee</i>. Often, sinuosities, a curve, bend, or turn--<i> a sinuosity of the road</i>. A sinuous form or character."

line[number++] ="<b>habitue</b>-<i>huh-BICH-oo-ey.</i>  One who frequents a particular place, especially a place offering a specific pleasurable activity."

line[number++] ="<b>hardscrabble</b> <i>HARD-skrab-uhl.</i> Yielding a bare or meager living with great labor or difficulty. Marked by poverty."

line[number++] = "<b>turbid</b><i> - TUR-bid</i>- Muddy, thick with or as if with roiled sediment. Not clear. Thick, dense, dark - used of clouds, air, fog, smoke, etc. Disturbed, confused, disordered."

line[number++] = "<b>sonorous</b>-<i>suh-NOR-uhs, SAH-nuh-rus</i>. Giving sound when struck, resonant, as, sonorous metals. Loud-sounding, giving a clear or loud sound, as, a sonorous voice. Yielding sound, characterized by sound, as, the vowels are sonorous. Impressive in sound, high-sounding."

line[number++] = "<b>in medias res</b>-<i> in-MAY-dee-uhs, MEE-dee-uhs RAYS</i> - In the middle of the action."

line[number++] = "<b>non sequitur</b>-<i> non-SEK-wuh-tuhr</i> - A thought that does not logically follow what has just been said."

line[number++] = "<b>roman a clef</b><i> - roh-MAHN-ah-KLAY</i>- A novel in which actual people and places are disguised as fictional characters."

increment = Math.floor(Math.random() * number);
document.write(line[increment]);
//-->
</script></font><br/><br/>

I tried going through the personal widget panel, but that didn't work either. It wouldn't show my widget, but it would show all the standard ones.

If this is not possible, please tell me how to add a javascript widget. It's basically a quote widget that shows a different item each page load--i used it on another page, and it's for word of the day. It works fine on a blog, it just won't work here. Anyone know why?
jaebaeli
jaebaeli
Forumember

Female Posts : 169
Language : english

http://KindredInkWriters.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

html page widget shows in panel, not on page Empty Re: html page widget shows in panel, not on page

Post by jaebaeli December 10th 2008, 11:03 pm

Wow. I've tried about 9 different ways to solve a couple of problems, this being one. I can't get anyone to respond with any kind of effective answer. Could someone just tell whether my goals are not possible with forumotion?
jaebaeli
jaebaeli
Forumember

Back to top Go down

html page widget shows in panel, not on page Empty Re: html page widget shows in panel, not on page

Post by zinex December 11th 2008, 12:12 am

hi there, i am sorry for the delay in answering your post, i have just come across it. I am not fully understanding at the moment where is it exactly that you are adding this code? If you are creating an html page, then saving it will only show on that HTML page, not for the index itself. To add this widget into your footer on your index page, you would need to be in phpbb version 2 to edit the overall footer template.
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Female Posts : 2804
Language : scotch och aye!

http://asylum.forumotion.co.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by jaebaeli December 11th 2008, 12:19 am

Hi, thanks for responding...
I am using phpbb version 2, and the admin area i refer to is in Modules/HTML pages management.
jaebaeli
jaebaeli
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex December 11th 2008, 12:27 am

right, an html page is an extension to your site, it doesnt edit the site in itself. As you are in phpbb 2 you should be able to edit your template to add this code. I have just copied your code and tried it in an html page, it is not working for me. Is that the full, correct code?

To add it to your footer if it is working for you, you need to go into admin>>>Display>>>templates>>>>general>>>Overall_footer.

You an then play about see how it appears for you and the best place for it within that template. When you save your changes, it wont publish them immediately, you will see beside your amended template it will say waiting html page widget shows in panel, not on page New_window_black if you click the little black window you will be able to preview to make sure you are happy with it, before clicking the green + to actually go ahead with the changes.
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by jaebaeli December 11th 2008, 3:19 am

Thanks for the info.
As for the code being correct- I only know it works correctly on my other sites, which are webpages, and blogs --thus, the interface and underlying coding requirements/variations may be different.

I will try to put the code directly into the template. Haven't worked with the template code directly yet, but will try. Have done quite a bit of code tweaking in the past, though.
thanks for your response. I'll post back here with results.
jaebaeli
jaebaeli
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by jaebaeli December 11th 2008, 3:59 am

I've tried several times with several areas of the template. Maybe you or someone can tell me which part of the template allows you to add to the header where the links to search and profile and memberlist, etc, are. Which template section is that?

I got it to work, it's just not where i want it. I guess I'll have to settle for that.
http://kindredinkwriters.forumotion.net

Last edited by jaebaeli on December 11th 2008, 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
jaebaeli
jaebaeli
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by zinex December 11th 2008, 2:31 pm

ah sorry you want it at the top of your forum not the bottom?

You could add it to your homepage message box? That appears below nav menu but above forums: admin>>>display>>>homepage generalities

Or you could edit your overall_header_new template in the same area as where your overall footer tamplate is.
zinex
zinex
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum