The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rss feed options?

3 posters

Go down

Rss feed options? Empty Rss feed options?

Post by henridecat April 11th 2009, 2:32 pm

The help on the rss feed available for forumotion is a little thin!

I discovered by reading this forum that there is an option to filter the rss feed for a particular forum on the site, e.g. yourforum.com/rss/?f=nnnn

What I want to know is are there are any other options?

In particular I really want an option to generate a feed that creates a new item for each post. I want this because I have members who want an email digest whenever posts are made (I'm only talking a few each week on average, so not much traffic/database access).

In fact a good half way house would be to have an rss feed item that changes its title whenever the date on the last post date changes, hence triggering a new notification...

Can anyone help me here?
henridecat
henridecat

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Rss feed options? Empty Re: Rss feed options?

Post by henridecat April 12th 2009, 12:37 am

Another possibility is to create a feed from the output of 'Latest Topics' widget.
henridecat
henridecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket April 12th 2009, 6:44 am

http://FORUMURL/feed/

You can use that, but it gives only the feed of the news widget which you have.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by henridecat April 12th 2009, 4:21 pm

I may have cracked it, but I had to write my own php parser for the widget output. I put this on my main domain at http://www.kriegsspiel.org.uk/rss.php . My feed validates according to http://validator.w3.org/feed/ , but I expect it to fail someday & my code is sensitive to the output formatting for my site (so it would need modification for other style templates).

I'm currently experimenting with feedmyinbox.com to see it I can get an email notification on any day when someone posts, that is what I've been striving for unsuccessfully for a few months now.

If anyone wants a copy of my php script pm me.
henridecat
henridecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Aly MacDraven July 20th 2009, 4:41 am

Man would I LOVE a feed made from the *Latest Topics* widget. I've been racking my brain for two weeks now trying to find a way to get that feed to work outside the module to NO avail. There is a feed for all the forums why can't there be one for the Latest Topics as well. THAT one is more useful to me at least.
Aly MacDraven

Language : Englis

Back to top Go down