How to hide my forum?

Go down

How to hide my forum? Empty How to hide my forum?

Post by xshadow10 on June 23rd 2009, 8:02 am

I would like to hide some of my forums, so they don't show up with the rest of the forums on the "forums" page. Instead, I would like to link them. I know how to link them, but I don't know how to make the forum not appear with the rest of the forums. This forum >> www.anizone.info is a great example. If you go to that site, you'll notice that they have lots of forums made, but ONLY some of them are shown in the main "forum" page. How did they do that?
xshadow10
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

How to hide my forum? Empty Re: How to hide my forum?

Post by kirk on June 23rd 2009, 8:33 am

it seems that they just customized the nav links.
there home page is actually there portal. and the forum tab/nav link icon is actually there homepage. it's just called forums.

but they are also using the portal/homepage link as there forums main link.

so you will just have to customize it how you want.

admin panel>display>headers and navigation.

then you can either redirect the url's or created a new ones.
you can also remove some of the old ones and just use the new ones.
it's pretty much self explanatory once your there. so check it out and come back if you need more help.

or to make things even easier.
you can just change your forums link to the portal link.
You will have to mass email all members with the new link but the old link will still bring them to the forum.So yea there's a few ways to go about it you just have to figure which way will be best for you and to your liking
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by xshadow10 on June 23rd 2009, 9:02 am

I get what they did with they're nav links, but how does that make some of their forums not appear? For example, one of they're forums can be found at http://www.anizone.info/dragon-ball-kai-f224/

But this forum, can't be found throughout their main forum, which is http://www.anizone.info/forum.htm

How did they do that?
xshadow10
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on June 23rd 2009, 9:28 am

well how did you get the link to that if it's hidden... lol
i think what your asking is how to hide the forums from guest or certain groups.

you just have to go through the forums permissions one by one and set them how you see fit.

like if you dont have guest checked off then no guest will be able to view the forum unless they register.

or if you have a forum with the permissions set for only a group to view read reply etc... then only members from that group will be able to see and have access to that forum.

so it's all in your forums permissions.

admin panel>general>forums>Forum Permissions Control.

click on the How to hide my forum? 2r3ggll and set your permissions as you like. You will have to set this for each forum one by one.
be sure to hit save after changing them.

If this is not what you mean them your going to have to explain a lil better.

Now that i think of it. it can be that the other link you have thats not on the main page is a sub forum? because if it were set for members only i would not be able to view it.

I'm just confused how you got the link if it's supposed to be hidden?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by xshadow10 on June 23rd 2009, 11:29 pm

Well you see that site I showed you, has probably 200 forums made, and if all those 200 forums showed up on the main forum page, it wouldn't look so good. So they hide some of their forums thats not really important, and all those forums that were hidden, they linked to them.
xshadow10
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on June 24th 2009, 12:58 am

@xshadow10 wrote:Well you see that site I showed you, has probably 200 forums made, and if all those 200 forums showed up on the main forum page, it wouldn't look so good. So they hide some of their forums thats not really important, and all those forums that were hidden, they linked to them.

so then they are sub forums.. and possibly subs within subs?
i am not digging through all that... lol

here's how you would do it though. read for creating forums and sub forums.
it's mostly the sub forum thing. but you have to know how to add it to your forums or forum.

read here
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum