What's the deal with the ads on Forumotion forums?

Go down

Solved What's the deal with the ads on Forumotion forums?

Post by cico on June 23rd 2009, 8:40 pm

I can't find any info on your ad policy anywhere. What I've been able to gather on Google is that the ads start appearing about a month after the forum is active, and you have to buy credits to remove them. But that they only appear in "guest mode", not once you are logged in. Is this correct, or is it only in-text ads that are removed once a user is logged in, and other ads stay if credits are not purchased?

Why is there an option in the ACP to choose "No" to displaying ads, if they are obligatory?

Also, is there a space/bandwidth limit for the forums?
cico

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: What's the deal with the ads on Forumotion forums?

Post by Caihlem on June 23rd 2009, 8:47 pm

Hi,

Yes, the ads do appear after 1 month. They used to appear as of the start of a forum before though
By using credits, you can have ads removed for registered users only, or also for guests, in which case you'd pay more credits. This removes all ads
The option in the ACP is a relic that really should be removed TT

There is a limit in the forums, but it will never be reached Wink
There's a topic here which gives you a quick run through of the different limits
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Etana on June 23rd 2009, 9:35 pm

Hello,

For the text adds, it's as you want, you can display them to nobody, to guest, to members or to anyone.

( in PA > General > Configuration > Text ads activation )

Cordialy.
Etana
Etana
Forumember

Male Posts : 98
Language : French - English

http://kiniiri.forumactif.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cico on June 23rd 2009, 9:38 pm

If I don't buy credits, what kind of ads will registered users see? I'd like to get an idea of how much advertising is on the page that registered users see if no credits are bought?
cico

Back to top Go down

Post by Etana on June 23rd 2009, 9:42 pm

Some forums with pubs so you can see what guest see :

Guest and registered users see the same ( but you can buy credit for remove completely the pub for all or just registered users ).

Cordialy.
Etana
Etana
Forumember

Male Posts : 98
Language : French - English

http://kiniiri.forumactif.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on June 23rd 2009, 10:14 pm

once your members are logged into the forum they will not see the adds anymore. the adds are only there when your not logged in.

may i remind everyone that this is a free forum host and something has to pay for us all to have a free forum.Look at everything thats free. they all have adds.
myspace.facebook,stickam,youtube and the list goes on. at least our members dont have to see them when where logged in Smile. and if there that bad. then pay to remove them.

plus how many people really click the things anyway? do you ever click the adds. most dont. some want to? and people do.. but I'm sure most do not?

so dunno? the answers where given. is there any more questions about this befor it's locked?

hey you can also add your own too if you wanted Smile
for free thumright
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cico on June 24th 2009, 12:18 am

Now I'm really confused again! You say there are no ads displayed when users are logged in. That sounds great to me, but others are saying that there ARE ads displayed when users are logged in. Can someone please tell me which is the correct information?

@kirk wrote:once your members are logged into the forum they will not see the adds anymore. the adds are only there when your not logged in.

may i remind everyone that this is a free forum host and something has to pay for us all to have a free forum.Look at everything thats free. they all have adds.
myspace.facebook,stickam,youtube and the list goes on. at least our members dont have to see them when where logged in Smile. and if there that bad. then pay to remove them.

plus how many people really click the things anyway? do you ever click the adds. most dont. some want to? and people do.. but I'm sure most do not?

so dunno? the answers where given. is there any more questions about this befor it's locked?

for free thumright
cico

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on June 24th 2009, 12:43 am

@cico wrote:Now I'm really confused again! You say there are no ads displayed when users are logged in. That sounds great to me, but others are saying that there ARE ads displayed when users are logged in. Can someone please tell me which is the correct information?

@kirk wrote:once your members are logged into the forum they will not see the adds anymore. the adds are only there when your not logged in.

for free thumright

So thats where the adds settings come in play.
just set everything for guest and no. it's only three settings.

like cal said it's kind of an old relic that should be removed.
but if you set them. when members are logged in they should not see the adds.
i know i dont. I will test it as a regular member on one of my forums just to be sure?
It has been a lil wile since i did that..
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by cico on June 24th 2009, 2:29 am

I'm sorry, but it's still not clear whether Forumotion is forcing me to display ads to my registered users unless I buy credits. The responses I've gotten seem to contradict each other:

Caihlem says "By using credits, you can have ads removed for registered users only"

Ansathlasta says "you can remove all text ads that Forumotion places, it's your option."

Kirk says "once your members are logged into the forum they will not see the adds anymore. the adds are only there when your not logged in."

A previous response to this question in this forum seemed to be saying that unless you buy credits, ads will be displayed to registered and guest users.

Now you are saying that registered users will not see the ads if I set this in the configuration panel - even though I have not purchased any credits. Can you or someone please confirm this for me? It doesn't seem right that Forumotion would allow you to remove the ads for registered users in the configuration panel if you have not purchased credits, because if so, how would that encourage people to purchase credits?

It's an important question to me because I am deciding whether to launch my forum using Forumotion, and I don't want any (advertising) surprises later, when it's going to be painful to start everything over from scratch. Thanks.
cico

Back to top Go down

Post by notMicElf on June 24th 2009, 7:28 am

@cico wrote:I'm sorry, but it's still not clear whether Forumotion is forcing me to display ads to my registered users unless I buy credits. The responses I've gotten seem to contradict each other:

Caihlem says "By using credits, you can have ads removed for registered users only"

Ansathlasta says "you can remove all text ads that Forumotion places, it's your option."

Kirk says "once your members are logged into the forum they will not see the adds anymore. the adds are only there when your not logged in."

A previous response to this question in this forum seemed to be saying that unless you buy credits, ads will be displayed to registered and guest users.

Now you are saying that registered users will not see the ads if I set this in the configuration panel - even though I have not purchased any credits. Can you or someone please confirm this for me? It doesn't seem right that Forumotion would allow you to remove the ads for registered users in the configuration panel if you have not purchased credits, because if so, how would that encourage people to purchase credits?

It's an important question to me because I am deciding whether to launch my forum using Forumotion, and I don't want any (advertising) surprises later, when it's going to be painful to start everything over from scratch. Thanks.

Yes, you can set it so that only guests, members and anonymous, or all will see the ads. set it to 'guest', and only your guests will see it, not members, and that is without purchasing any credits.
notMicElf
notMicElf
Forumember

Male Posts : 377
Language : English, HTML, CSS, Java

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on June 25th 2009, 2:41 am

@notMicElf wrote:
@cico wrote:I'm sorry, but it's still not clear whether Forumotion is forcing me to display ads to my registered users unless I buy credits. The responses I've gotten seem to contradict each other:

Yes, you can set it so that only guests, members and anonymous, or all will see the ads. set it to 'guest', and only your guests will see it, not members, and that is without purchasing any credits.

Thank you notMicElf i have tried to explain that but i guess he was unclear?
Remember until you are logged into the forum you are technically a guest and will see the adds.Once logged into the forum your members will not see them.
(only if you have it set for them not to see the adds)

With the question now being answered.
I will now mark as solved and lock the thread
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum