The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your ways of hiring moderators

+62
Miccro
socialize
Luke Frost
Sir. Mayo
RadioHead
E-Mad™
Derri
levy
Darth Apple
JennyorAlice
alacarr
Jalice Knight
ShinGamix
Grant45
Spottedleaf
MHerushingu
Aksu
Niko
Jellydonut
Sir Chivas™
kailamilos
Caihlem
Sheodon
phio69
TPskaterPeyton
Rianna Lauren
Hotspot
Sanket
Behaviour???
Zenibi
*Moonlight Banshee*
Beejayad
Zeromaximus
D.O.C.
pritamsingh98
Star Blade
Veljko
airforce12
Diana
Codyy
Eman and Kou
pro2000
mikej
bookworm12
Wolf the Wolf
jordowestie
Ness2.0
Vilache Wondergrum
Walshy95
Awesomeness
MrDudemanpeace
Conundrum
Trilinx
OnlineWrestlingNET
imbonez9
Rehua
kjmj14
Base
Doctor Inferno
Tarogasini
SophieDophs
Global DJ
66 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Your ways of hiring moderators - Page 3 Empty Your ways of hiring moderators

Post by Global DJ August 7th 2009, 7:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm interested in creating my own gaming forum. I know something like hiring extra staff members won't be an issue for an extended period of time, but I'm curious as to how other forum owners and administrators hire staff members for their forums?
Global DJ
Global DJ
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Your ways of hiring moderators - Page 3 Empty Re: Your ways of hiring moderators

Post by Sanket March 18th 2013, 7:10 pm

Bazinga! wrote:If you are looking for someone to be a staff member on your forum, what kind of qualifications do you look for in an individual?

I'm just curious what other people look for when hiring staff for their forum.
Merged with a similar thread.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Your ways of hiring moderators - Page 3 Empty Re: Your ways of hiring moderators

Post by Darth Apple March 19th 2013, 1:04 am

I always look at the members of the community who are consistently active and tend to follow the rules. I'll build a list of candidates, and watch them for a couple months. If they still are active and seem competent for the job, I'll ask them if they are interested in a moderator position. I never hire admins without giving them a mod position first.
Darth Apple
Darth Apple
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by levy March 19th 2013, 1:38 am

That is a great talk subject.
76% of founders make a simple topic ,where staff can make a request ,that isn't a great ideea because more pleople want to destroy you foru.

When I hire new staff , I monitorize user activity ,after that if it's ok ,I talk and with actual staff , when him is readyfrom my opinion I talk and with de group moderator.
If him want in his group ,the user will recive a Private Message if him accept to enter is staff
levy
levy
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2632
Language : English, Romanian

https://portofolio.goodforum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri March 19th 2013, 4:48 am

Normally,

I monitor their behavior, progress and overall activity on the site. I then will consult and see if we actually need the staff. I mean I don't know how many forums have around 5 moderators when at most you'll see the occasional double post or inappropriate comment. I'm a great believer in not hiring anyone unless we actually need moderators as then the mod title seems more of a "I'm a higher rank than you" title rather than someone who is their to keep the forums clean and running smoothly.

So yes,

I generally look for those who are active and discuss with my fellow staff.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by E-Mad™ March 29th 2013, 9:10 pm

I use a simple application form which is sent to myself via PM.

The information I want back is:

- IP Address:
- Name:
- What can you bring to the role as a moderator?
- Have you any experience?
- Hours available?
- Brief description about you as a person:
- Personal statement:

I also add a clause which is this:

All information is mandatory. Any information submitted with your application which is found to be false or in any way misleading will result in the immediate refusal of any said application.
E-Mad™
Forumember

http://www.chat-central.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioHead March 29th 2013, 10:18 pm

I use a simple application form, and I only promote staff, I never directly hire an important position such as a Moderator, unless I have prior experience with them, or seen their talents.
I proceed to ask people in possible lower ranks, such as a service position, then I ask them to do a probation period. Smile
RadioHead
RadioHead
Forumember

Language : English (der?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. Mayo April 18th 2013, 2:37 am

I have to know the person IRL (in real life) and have to be able to trust them in real life, If my mods dont ever log on then they go bye bye from being a mod Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy they need to be able to have commitment If they pop on every other day im fine with that but if its like every other week maybe they get a PM asking to come back often! to me having a mod rank is like being a parent you have to be there you have to be a good parent to the members your their mom/dad and you have to lay down the law when they mess up. Very Happy
Sir. Mayo
Sir. Mayo
Forumember

Male Posts : 980
Language : English, Some french.
Location : you can also reach me on snoonet's irc server. I idle in #Techsupport Username is Vault108

http://sir-mayo.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Frost April 25th 2013, 5:50 pm

Definitely trust comes first, with general activity and reputation around the forum following.

I made the mistake of hiring somebody untrustworthy but extremely active and reputable on a forum I administer and it has become a rather big mistake since they had disparaging goals in mind - accomplished them and haven't been heard from since.

My advice to anybody here; make sure you really know potential moderators on a personal level to the point you know you can really trust them rather than hiring moderators based on activity alone.
Luke Frost
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by socialize May 15th 2013, 4:03 am

I give a Applications with requirements with questions. Some of the questions are from forum rules,ad rules,main site rules,etc. from a range of (1 - 9+) Maybe some extended questions that require research and fix some points that were missed. Some of my admin staff will be recruiters and grade and lock applications if denied or accepted. Before the app automatically gets denied. The person must get at these 5 thanks/likes or at least 3 posts of support and why he/she would be a moderator. If they don't meet those requirements, they will be denied. All high point apps with high thanks and supports will be placed in the Staff Lobby with the list of 5 - 10 tops apps to review. Maybe top 3 will have a poll or something.
socialize
socialize
Forumember

Male Posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post by Miccro May 15th 2013, 11:35 pm

I use a small application form that they send to me through PM, then I give them limited power for a trial period and monitor their activity, if I see no sign of abusing their power or breaking of rules then I will give them the correct level of power. I will however still monitor their activity. I also have no tolerance for breaking the rules, I always make sure that they are aware of the rules and that they know the consequences of breaking them which is instant stripping of the title and power. May sound a little mean but hey, they gotta learn lol
Miccro

Male Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by JAN2XONLINE May 16th 2013, 10:59 am

I PMed members that are deserving and trustworthy. Experience is also a MUST when looking for moderators.
JAN2XONLINE
JAN2XONLINE
Forumember

Male Posts : 943
Language : Tagalog, English

http://animeph.4umer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dizconect June 7th 2013, 9:08 am

first option is hiring someone that you know personally that have qualification, 2nd option from forum member of course!

:wouhou:
dizconect

Language : Indonesia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jingles Magic June 9th 2013, 1:21 pm

I keep my staff low! I can't stand a foum with a ton of staff. I'll start off with me, a co-admin and a mod. I'll only hire 2 or 3 more staff if we get very active. Usually, the members who have been on the site all along will become staff.
-JM
Jingles Magic
Jingles Magic
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g April 1st 2015, 5:54 am

It depends how much staff are needed at a particular position. If I really need a position filled I will "recruit" them from abroad, I monitor their movements, reputation, skill level and stuff like that and then usually I pm them offering a position to them, I never recruit or hire for Super Moderators or Administrators, those positions are earned and based on a high level of trust. Once I feel there enough staff to keep things going I stop recruiting and switch to application only, or monitor a really active member of the forum.

Your ways of hiring moderators - Page 3 Brando10
Remember to mark your topic Your ways of hiring moderators - Page 3 Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Your ways of hiring moderators - Page 3 Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3