The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Automatic Swear Ban

+8
Steven_L
Joe5000
ImProviser
bookworm12
mohsin_ali
taroo2a
Master Marc
jordowestie
12 posters

Go down

Should there be a Built in Swear ban

Automatic Swear Ban Left1154%Automatic Swear Ban Right11 54% 
[ 7 ]
Automatic Swear Ban Left1146%Automatic Swear Ban Right11 46% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

Automatic Swear Ban Empty Automatic Swear Ban

Post by jordowestie October 31st 2009, 18:58

Instead of typing in the words you want censored, it is allready done for you built in, because i don't want to go through typing in all the swear words and other offensive words. What do you think of this idea?
jordowestie

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Automatic Swear Ban Empty Re: Automatic Swear Ban

Post by Master Marc October 31st 2009, 19:02

When I view this post, your making me think that your too lazy, or you do not know all of those bad words, Wink

Why would we need for it to be built in automatically?

You can just google up some bad words, and censor them one by one, Automatic Swear Ban Redface . That's all to it, Mr. Green

If you don't want to do it, you can find a friend, give them administration power, and let them assist you with it. ( but, there's a risk )

P.S, I voted no, fufufu
Master Marc
Master Marc
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3661
Language : English and Spanish.

Back to top Go down

Post by taroo2a October 31st 2009, 19:08

I vote yes, but not for words like stupid and idiot...those are lame
taroo2a
taroo2a
Forumember

Male Posts : 166
Language : English, Arabic, J'apprends le Francais

Http://AlKhatib-QL.all-forum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by jordowestie October 31st 2009, 19:11

Master Marc wrote:When I view this post, your making me think that your too lazy, or you do not know all of those bad words, Wink

Why would we need for it to be built in automatically?

You can just google up some bad words, and censor them one by one, Automatic Swear Ban Redface . That's all to it, Mr. Green

If you don't want to do it, you can find a friend, give them administration power, and let them assist you with it. ( but, there's a risk )

P.S, I voted no, fufufu

Im 14, Thats why i dont want to do it.
jordowestie

Back to top Go down

Post by mohsin_ali October 31st 2009, 19:17

voted yes
mohsin_ali
mohsin_ali
Forumember

Male Posts : 232
Language : Urdu

Back to top Go down

Post by bookworm12 October 31st 2009, 20:40

great itea!!!!
i can't type the swear word (i know them though)
i'm only 12!
voted yep
bookworm12
bookworm12
Forumember

Female Posts : 167

http://allawesomeness.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ImProviser October 31st 2009, 22:30

^ hahahaah i laughed so hard almost fell of the chair lol

Voted no, it would be lame to do so... censor words is enough
ImProviser
ImProviser
Forumember

Male Posts : 617
Language : Serbian, English, Deutsch

http://www.team-xenon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe5000 October 31st 2009, 22:55

Does this mean stopping members who enter swear words from posting the message or automatically changing swear words to something else or
banning members who posted a message that had a swear word from the board?
Joe5000
Forumember

Language : English

http://tvav.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jordowestie October 31st 2009, 23:09

no just censering certain words. this could be an option not to or not.
jordowestie

Back to top Go down

Post by bookworm12 November 7th 2009, 18:21

I sereously think we should do this
bookworm12
bookworm12
Forumember

Female Posts : 167

http://allawesomeness.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steven_L November 7th 2009, 22:11

I seriously think that we shouldn't. You don't know the niche of all forums and there is a build in auto-bad because you use words that the forum host things that are bad then we'd have all kinds of issues.

FOR EXAMPLE: I have a dog forum, and the B-word is often considered offensive but in our niche some people use it meaning female dog (female dog is technically an oxymoron because a "dog" is a male canine), so having an auto-ban for members that use the B-word in my forum would be really annoying.

This is just one example but I'm sure there are others.

Have your PARENTS put these censors in, you shouldn't be dealing with administrating forums when your this young, you never know what you'll have to deal with especially when we are talking about spammers.
Steven_L
Steven_L
Forumember

Male Posts : 31
Language : English, Spanish, and French

http://k9academy.dogboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana November 7th 2009, 22:23

I´d say yes, but in every language then, not just english. My forum is not in English and in the forum language you have to change (swear) words according to the context so I have a lot of banning to do.
We have around ten really bad words and you can make at least 24 forms of each of them. Confused
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post by babaganoosh November 8th 2009, 21:43

Voted no. Too many things to consider and too many things can get messed up.

1) People have different levels of "swears". One may think jackass is a bad word, someone else may not. One may think douche is a bad word, someone else may not. Outside of the few major swear words, there's too many in-between type words that aren't universally known as being bad, but some people do consider them to be based on how they were raised.

2) Words have double meanings. As mentioned above, the B-word can be used to not only describe a person, but it's also a female dog. There are many more examples of this, including the F-bomb where it can be used to flip someone off or simply used to mean sex.

3) Different languages may intersect. A swear in one language may just be an ordinary word in another. I don't have a good example of this, but in French "retard" means late, but in English...we know what it means. There are probably more, but I'm not that great with languages so I wouldn't know.

4) People will just get around your filter. I'm not going to use an actual swear word in this example, but you can easily figure out how you can get around it. Suppose a bad word is apple. Instead of just writing that, they could simply do @pple, appl3 or apppppppple and the basic meaning and word is still used. Unless you can somehow combat all these possible variations, this ban will be of no use.
babaganoosh
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilum November 8th 2009, 21:51

babaganoosh wrote:Voted no. Too many things to consider and too many things can get messed up.

1) People have different levels of "swears". One may think jackass is a bad word, someone else may not. One may think douche is a bad word, someone else may not. Outside of the few major swear words, there's too many in-between type words that aren't universally known as being bad, but some people do consider them to be based on how they were raised.

2) Words have double meanings. As mentioned above, the B-word can be used to not only describe a person, but it's also a female dog. There are many more examples of this, including the F-bomb where it can be used to flip someone off or simply used to mean sex.

3) Different languages may intersect. A swear in one language may just be an ordinary word in another. I don't have a good example of this, but in French "retard" means late, but in English...we know what it means. There are probably more, but I'm not that great with languages so I wouldn't know.

4) People will just get around your filter. I'm not going to use an actual swear word in this example, but you can easily figure out how you can get around it. Suppose a bad word is apple. Instead of just writing that, they could simply do @pple, appl3 or apppppppple and the basic meaning and word is still used. Unless you can somehow combat all these possible variations, this ban will be of no use.

Agree 100% with this.
Voted No.

You can also bypass the filter like:
H
E
L
L
O

~ Tilum
Tilum
Tilum
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1759

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy April 15th 2013, 17:45

Automatic Swear Ban Permis10 Suggestion Clean up

-> Old suggestions(Please feel to create a new thread for the garbaged old suggestions)
-> Implemented suggestions
-> Suggestions which are currently suggested (Please use the SEARCH function)
-> Suggestions which are already possible
-> Unclear Suggestions

=> Please read the guidelines for the suggestion section: https://help.forumotion.com/t93899-suggestions-for-your-forums-how-to
=> Please take a look on the frequently suggested features for your forums:
https://help.forumotion.com/t79095-frequently-requested-suggestions-for-your-forums

Locked & Garbaged

Automatic Swear Ban Modera10Jophy
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down