The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop

+17
kemraj
punkfilter
Im2Sik
zinex
Drift Angel
stuart
ConsoleElosnoc
bLACKADDER
Kol Vol
Jeremy
AtoliSky
Caihlem
-(Alpha)-
4779jjc
Nessa
Mr.Alex
insearchoffootball
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Well should the price drop

Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop - Page 2 Left1186%Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop - Page 2 Right11 86% 
[ 32 ]
Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop - Page 2 Left1114%Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop - Page 2 Right11 14% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 37

Poll closed

Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop - Page 2 Empty Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop

Post by insearchoffootball July 31st 2007, 12:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok so to get a personal domain name through the forum (for those who don’t understand, changing www.insearchoffootball.frbb.net to www.insearchoffootball.com ), where you need to buy points, is way to expensive.

i could be wrong, but don’t you need like 2000 points to get a domain name??

And in order to get points, you can buy 100 at a time, buy sending an SMS which costs me $4 each time (that’s Australian dollars)

So in order to get 2000 points, i would need to spend something like $80 (AUS) in ordr to buy a domain name for my forum

Now if we compare this to professional sites, that offer not only domain names, but also personal e-mails, etc, you can get sites that sell them as cheap as $5 each, with most places offering around the $10 - $15 mark

So don’t you think that having to spend $80 on here is just a joke?????

Would like to know what other’s think

Thanks

Last edited by on August 5th 2007, 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
insearchoffootball
Forumember

Male Posts : 81
Language : English, Italian

http://www.insearchoffootball.frbb.net

Back to top Go down

Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop - Page 2 Empty Re: Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop

Post by punkfilter September 22nd 2007, 5:04 pm

i vote no.

if you take this into perspective, you should realize that FM's main source of income is in services such as Domain Names, galleries and ad removals. Cuz its not like their users donate enough.

With that said, if they were to lower the price, other services that take up high bandwidth would have to be dropped, and possibly other mods may not be added just so that they could turn a profit, which is entirely what this business is about.
punkfilter
punkfilter
Forumember

Male Posts : 111
Language : english

Back to top Go down

Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop - Page 2 Empty Re: Price of purchasing a domain name (from forum) should drop

Post by kemraj September 26th 2007, 9:59 pm

Well if you go at godaddy.com they are presently selling domains for 4.97 and thats with free hosting. Some hosting companies offer your free hosting free everything you just have to buy your domain. so I was saying this since 2 years ago the prices are rediculious, You have to pay like 10 time or more for a domain here thats one
2.you have or had to pay for just to remove the ads which is crap, saying that you bought a domain here and you still have to pay to remove ads.
3. It will be very hard to even get a good google ranking since their is always 2 link backs to this site, one for the forum homepage and the second telling people to get a free forum here.
4. their is just average support here i'm not saying its bad and i'm not saying its good.

5. You don't even own the domain what thats about.

If this was the year 1997 i would have said that these prices are good but not now.
So i could never see how these prices are reasonable.

5 and this is the main one tell me if i'm wrong. Say for you spend years to develop your dream site you bought your domain from this site and pay too remove the ads.
So things seem to be great then one day you saw that you can't access your forum, they delete your site because you violated one of the rules. Now remember you can't get back your database because its owner ship of they so you are screwed.

Now they can take your domain and see it to make a profit from it because of its google ranking so tell me where am i going wrong.
kemraj

Male Posts : 15
Language : English

http://trinimobile.bbfr.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Wolf September 27th 2007, 1:45 am

im just gonna throw my 2cents in here.
i bought my domain from yahoo. i pay 10$ (Us) a year
now all i get is the DOT COM. sure, i get a measly 25MB space via geocities, but *pfffff* like that's ever gonna work ... so, now i have to find a place to host it / direct it to.
I currently have a Free host that allows upto 5GB traffic per month with a max file size limit of 500KB.

(for comparison only)
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/compare.php
now.. what you see, is what i would consider the Standard hosting packages.
From what Forumotion is offering = is the Domain, plus the already preinstalled/mod phpBB Forum, security, automatic updates, email + what ever else they throw in.

can it cost ya?
sure - but as seen above, even if you went with yahoo. you still would need to set up, install, secure and manage all aspects of your forum and site.

just food for thought.
i voted No.
Bad Wolf
Bad Wolf
Forumember

Female Posts : 287

http://darkfx.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kemraj September 27th 2007, 2:17 am

Huh lol dude if you have scripting knowledge its really simple their is some thing called fantasiso which are pre installed scripts. IF you don't know how to install scripts your website will be very limited for what you can do.

And even i would not choose yahoo lol you can Google free hosting with fantasiso. Their are hosting companies offering over 2 gigs 10000 bandwidth and preinstalled scripts and you can add your own domain for free with out ads.
kemraj

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Wolf September 27th 2007, 3:44 pm

I never said i chose yahoo for my hosting. i was just using them as comparison. i did choose yahoo for my domain.
i currently use, agilityhoster for my hosting needs Wink
Bad Wolf
Bad Wolf
Forumember

Female Posts : 287

http://darkfx.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kemraj September 27th 2007, 3:50 pm

Yea guys i'm not saying that forumotion are bad its just that competition are out their and you will not get alot more sign ups but having high prices, Why people may want to join here is that the forum is presintalled and its really for people who don't know nay think about scripting or php, I still run my forum but i gave it to some one who really wanted a website, he running it now, i just check in time to time to see what up.
kemraj

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem September 27th 2007, 4:23 pm

ell, on the othr han, e're not forcig you to stay, seen assupport is so mediocre >.>
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Male Posts : 8969
Language : English, French & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan September 27th 2007, 4:52 pm

Caihlem wrote:ell, on the othr han, e're not forcig you to stay, seen assupport is so mediocre >.>

typing error?
Morgan
Morgan
Forumember

Male Posts : 184

http://renderpixel.yourme.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem September 27th 2007, 5:26 pm

Well, on the other hand, we're not forcing you to stay, seen as support is so mediocre >.>

When I'm mad I tend to type faster than my keyboard can suppot
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by kemraj September 27th 2007, 5:37 pm

Your "mad" well ok thanks for clearing that up with us lol just kidding dude, you should not feel so its just constructive criticism, its good that people can debate certain things and not just suck up to people an debate is a good way to find out what people thing, is this not a forum and a forum is mostly for discussion. So don't get mad or angry lol
kemraj

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr X September 28th 2007, 10:31 am

I voted yes. That is ridiculously expensive; and plus there should also be more variety. I think at the moment its .com only, but it should be .net, .org and .info as well. If you want more people to join what I think is the best forum host on the planet, the extra features should cost less.
Mr X
Forumember

Male Posts : 27
Language : English!

https://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Caihlem September 28th 2007, 10:59 pm

I think at the moment its .com only, but it should be .net, .org and .info

You missed .biz
All of which are actually availiable to those who know where to look
Caihlem
Caihlem
Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Drift Angel September 29th 2007, 4:31 pm

There has to be a deal where both sides would be actually happy... i know its the way you gain money through points or stuff like that but if you do a package something like that i'm sure it will be the best solution .. as for me i'm satisfied with not buying a domain name since i won't have access to a database since i already have my own website
Drift Angel
Drift Angel
Forumember

Female Posts : 46
Language : English, Arabic

http://dandjfanfiction.great-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy October 26th 2012, 5:23 pm

Prices of domain names won't drop I'm afraid, Forumotion provides free domains on rare occasions.

Suggestion Refused & Thread Locked
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2