The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disable "Always notify me of replies" by default for new and existing accounts

5 posters

Go down

Disable "Always notify me of replies" by default for new and existing accounts Empty Disable "Always notify me of replies" by default for new and existing accounts

Post by Irishtwincam February 12th 2010, 11:49 pm

Dear Mods/Admins,

I'm an Admin on "ae86oc.motionsforum.com".

"Always notify me of replies" is enabled by default for all new accounts.
This generates a lot of unwanted email traffic.

How do we set this option to be off as a default for all new users.

Also, how can we automatically apply this setting for all existing users to save them all
loggin in and fumbling with controls. not a lot of the users are tech savvy!

Thank you for reading.
Any positive input is appreciated.
Irishtwincam

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Disable "Always notify me of replies" by default for new and existing accounts Empty Re: Disable "Always notify me of replies" by default for new and existing accounts

Post by Kalliopi February 13th 2010, 12:07 am

I asked this question recently & the answer was no unfortunately. I also asked if it was possible for the option to have a signature, be made default rather than not, that is also not possible.

I quite agree some members who join our forum are really not that computer literate and it takes them ages to work it out. Perhaps it is something we should request for the future.
Kalliopi
Kalliopi
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Disable "Always notify me of replies" by default for new and existing accounts Empty Re: Disable "Always notify me of replies" by default for new and existing accounts

Post by NaXuh February 13th 2010, 12:23 am

Yeah, it's not possible right now.

You could suggest it in the suggestions section though Smile.
NaXuh
NaXuh
Forumember

Male Posts : 226
Language : English, C#, CSS, HTML, PHP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalliopi February 13th 2010, 12:50 am

As I just said. Smile
Kalliopi
Kalliopi
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 13th 2010, 2:16 am

i don't understand all they have to do is set it to no in there profile and that's it.. other then that you can take the whole feature out all together. but you can only do this via template edit using phpbb2 or punnbb versions.. but if you do that then no one will have the option.. it wont even appear on the forum anymore..

But basically your members have to set it.. unless they set the option before they send a post.. i mean many forums have this the same way as forumotion and forums have always been like this so i honestly do not understand the problem.. if a member don't want to be notified of a reply then tell them not to have the option on plain and simply.. i mean don't people set there profiles anymore... Razz

But that's about the only two options i can suggest.

Or you know what you can always add some info telling your members to be sure to set there profile option in a welcome message when they join too..this way it will remind them to go through and set all the options as they wish..
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalliopi February 13th 2010, 9:14 pm

We know that Kirk, but some of the people that land up on our forum are just so clueless you wonder how they get onto the net in the first place. Laughing As for finding & reading any kind of tutorial, that's way beyond them too. You get fed with the how do I...? questions.

Disable "Always notify me of replies" by default for new and existing accounts 27zj9mf
Kalliopi
Kalliopi
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana February 13th 2010, 10:56 pm

The 'no' option in the profile is not working.
Not on my forum anyway. It's not that members are stupid, it's whatever that is not functioning properly on the server.

I have an announcement on my forum with a link to a thread with a tutorial of how to get rid of the notifications.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk February 14th 2010, 3:09 am

Kalliopi wrote: You get fed with the how do I...? questions.

Disable "Always notify me of replies" by default for new and existing accounts 27zj9mf

HAHA bounce
Welcome to the club my friend..
You think you have questions on a regular forum try doing support Razz
But on a support forum like this that is what we are here for so of course you know to expect it.

but it can get crazy on regular forums.People need to know how to do things. as an administrator or staff it's all part of telling them and explaining.

rhe wrote:The 'no' option in the profile is not working.
Not on my forum anyway. It's not that members are stupid, it's whatever that is not functioning properly on the server.

I have an announcement on my forum with a link to a thread with a tutorial of how to get rid of the notifications.

Have you tried setting it to no in there profile via admin panel?
Either they have to set it. or you can.I cant see a overwhelming amount of members complaining about this all at once . So who ever is having the problem go in to there profile via admin panel and set it to no yourself.

And whats the tutorial you have explaining how to not allow the option.
dose that work how your explaining it. if so then the problem is solved.
there is no default to select. this is an option for the member to choose.
now if this is not working when it's selected to no then we may have to request a tech.
Or have you tried the utilities tool to restore the forum to a date before this started to occur.
the only other option would be to remove the whole feature. but that's up to you and it can only be done via template edit on phpbb2 or punnbb versions.

So it's your call. if you are saying the option is still sending them all notifications when it's set to no. then we will have to request a tech to further investigate.. but i would like to see your tutorial or at least know if what you have is working for them.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down