The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are URLs now being redirected to ads? Part II

3 posters

Go down

Why are URLs now being redirected to ads? Part II Empty Why are URLs now being redirected to ads? Part II

Post by Prizm 9/7/2010, 15:28

This issue was brought up a month ago by myself and others, and now Forumotion has started doing it again. A link to my previous post here:
https://help.forumotion.com/other-problems-f46/why-are-urls-now-being-redirected-to-ads-t73003.htm

URLs for downloads are first being redirected to advertisements.

1. The text for the URL link is automatically changed to read "MEGAUPLOAD.COM Q97FSD6" (for example) instead of anything else you want the link text to say. So if I make an URL for the word "HERE" as in "Click HERE to download", the forum will change it to say "Click MEGAUPLOAD.COM Q97FSD6 to download". Forumotion will replace HERE with it's own text. See image:

Why are URLs now being redirected to ads? Part II Ad1i

I had proper text links for all those Sendspace files on my forum. Now everytime I add a new Sendspace URL, the text gets replaced with "Sendspace.com 26hms0" so now my users don't even know what file the link is referring to! But notice in the status bar that the actual link directs back to my own forum? (ozsaintsforum.com/go/sdsp/file/26hms0) That's where point number two comes in:

2. When you click the link, it redirects to a forumotion server where an ad is displayed, and then finally you are given an actual link to the file:

Why are URLs now being redirected to ads? Part II Ad2hz

See below the ad? The actual link is displayed, where you can finally download the file.

Can someone please explain this? I do not want my users redirected to an advertisement everytime they click a link.
Prizm
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Why are URLs now being redirected to ads? Part II Empty Re: Why are URLs now being redirected to ads? Part II

Post by Sanket 9/7/2010, 19:34

Thats how its going to be. No way to change it. Unless you add the links in the code tags.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Why are URLs now being redirected to ads? Part II Empty Re: Why are URLs now being redirected to ads? Part II

Post by Prizm 10/7/2010, 01:53

Anyone else have ideas of how to get around this flaw?

I didn't mind the advertisement at the top of my forum page, but redirecting my URLs so Forumotion can make 2 cents is aggravating and intrusive for me and my forum members.
Prizm
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Spongebean 11/7/2010, 10:42

I'm having the exact same issue.. ALL posts/thread that has links inside are screwed by this new ads hyperlinking issue.. Is there no way to remove it? It just seems as though my team's making money off other's posts..

As what Prizm have said, I too don't mind those advertisement at the top but I'm uncomfortable with the new redirecting urls to ads... It'll just scare away members =.=

Would like to gently request forumotion to remove redirecting urls to ads PLEASE. I LOVE THE PAST FORUMOTION.
Spongebean

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum