The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linking to a profile field?

2 posters

Go down

Linking to a profile field? Empty Linking to a profile field?

Post by mr_William August 8th 2010, 10:04 pm

Edit: kirk
Bold text and color has been removed.
Using colors and or bold text are reserved for staff use only.
Please refrain form useing them in any future post.
Thank you

I was wondering if it's possible to link to a profile field within a members profile?

I'm running an online gaming forum where some statistics and codes are used. At present, they're just in a thread within the forums, which is time consuming and a bit of a chore to keep up to date.

The end goal is to have the info within a members profile and view them via the members list.

This is not currently available, as the members list doesn’t accommodate this feature! (Suggestion to make it happen is Here, please vote yes to show your support!

What I’d like to do, is create a table, in HTML, and rather than having the actual data within the field. Link the field to a users profile field so the list auto updates according to the information given in the profile.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Will
mr_William
mr_William
Forumember

Male Posts : 33
Language : English

http://www.exhq.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Linking to a profile field? Empty Re: Linking to a profile field?

Post by mr_William August 12th 2010, 3:20 pm

Anyone know if this is possible? It's been 4 days and not one responce yet!

I'd be grateful for any comments, even if it's a case of 'this can not be done'

Thanks, Will
mr_William
mr_William
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk August 13th 2010, 4:17 am

it's never going to auto update by it's self.
i am sure you can make something like this but all the info would have to be added manually. or you may be able to add stats and certain widget codes in to an ifram or linking to all of it being on a html page.
but i would have to understand and know exactly what it is your trying to do.. from what i gather from what you are asking i do not see it being posibil for what your asking.

As far as linking to someone else profile through members profile.
then you would have to add another profile files and add the link to it or you can always place the link in the comment box.
but this is something only staff would be able to do and have to be put in manually.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_William August 20th 2010, 10:35 pm

cheers for the comments kirk..

the bold text was just a brief explination to make what i'm saying much clearer to those looking over it.. and not have to read the full post containing the ins and outs of it!..

dont really see why you guys have an issue with that lol.. seems quite stupid if you ask me! maybe you need to change the rules to make the forum an easier place to use!
mr_William
mr_William
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_William August 20th 2010, 11:06 pm

kirk, i've had a little think about what you've said and im a little frustrated by your comments.

basically i structured the post as follows:

large print, black and bold: important info

this is designed to get the readers attention, and allow them to decide if they need to carry on reading the post, if they can help and allows them to get a brief idea of the issue.

then a hr

this sepparates the brief from the rest of the post.

then the rest of the post, explaining the it in more depth, more specifically for those still reading.

i think is a proffesional way of laying things out, make it all easier for the readers involved.

i now understand i've directly broken the rules AGAIN! but i needed to air my oppinions. perhaps your time would be better spent discaplining people who are actually causing a problem, rather than educated people who are trying to make the forum more user friendly?

Also, if we're not aloud to do it, why not remove the option for members to use large print, bold and coloured text?

thanks,

Will

i now expect my green bar at the right to be 'not so green' - worth it!
mr_William
mr_William
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk August 21st 2010, 3:42 pm

Oh isint this just lovely. now are you not only posting bold text and colors again you are double posting.. fufufu

Double posting back to back within a 24 hour period is prohibited on forumotion support forum.Please refrain from doing this in any future post.You can either wait for a reply or add any additional content via the edit button in your previous post.You know i do not give warnings all the time for silly violations i try to be nice and just tell people or explain first.. but if people/ members like your self are not going to listen, be sarcastic and or disrespectful then i will just skip the warnings and put a ban in place.

the first thing anyone should do when joining another forum is read the forum rules.
We do not allow it here, it's for staff use only end of story.

Please read all forum rules..
if you have problem with any support forum rules then feel free to pm a admin and take it up with them.if you continue to break any forum rules then warnings will be put in place.. this is the last verbal warning i am giving you on this issue.

Since the answer was giving for the for the topics inquiry and now has a thread on the suggestions board for this possible option in the future.I will not mark as solved but will lock the thread to avoid any further disagreements or arguments pertaining to any forumotion support forum rules.

For all those that are interested in this option you can place your vote over here.

Adding additional profile fields to the members list.

kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down