The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Navigation bar buttons not spacing correctly

3 posters

Go down

Solved Navigation bar buttons not spacing correctly

Post by Souljacker September 3rd 2010, 9:38 pm

Hi everyone! I have another question that someone can hopefully help me with. I have created a handful of buttons for my nav bar, but the problem is that certain buttons are squished together, and the rest look the way I want them to. Here's the url of the forum

http://letitburn.darkbb.com/portal.htm

What's really odd, is that as I move the elements to one side or the other, they bring their squishup issues with them. For example, I moved the Portal button (Labeled as home on my navbar) from the left side to the right side, and it brought its squishup tendency with it. So, is it something with these particular elements?

Any help would be appreciated, as people on my forum have been complaining about the navigation from day 1 no matter what we have put up there.

EDIT:

You know, I'm not sure if this is just a Google Chrome thing or not now.

The behavior isn't the same in IE and Firefox, but IE and Firefox also are ignoring the CSS I put into the template for the background I wanted so it looks REALLY bad in those. But at least the buttons seem to be consistently squished.

So I guess just lock this topic because it's obviously more silliness on the part of browser vendors refusing to conform to one set of rendering standards. Thanks all who looked.

EDIT2 - Fixed the background rendering issue, and now confirmed that I'm getting squishing in all three browsers. I'm almost afraid to see what it looks like in Opera. So I guess, please don't lock it just yet. Any guesses what's going on from the experts?

Last edited by Sanket on September 4th 2010, 6:45 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Lots of doubling back on myself)
Souljacker

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Navigation bar buttons not spacing correctly

Post by boffer10 September 3rd 2010, 10:21 pm

In my picture, are the buttons squished or not squished? The image info says they're 129px wide; that's about what I measured.
Navigation bar buttons not spacing correctly 36510
boffer10
Forumember

Male Posts : 311
Language : english

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Souljacker September 3rd 2010, 11:00 pm

Thanks for looking at it - I finally figured out what was going on. Some of the elements from the default nav bar we just didn't see a use for, so I didn't add images for them. However, I also didn't move them to the end where they wouldn't be in the way. Once I did that, ALL the buttons got squished together like what is shown in your image. Expected behavior I suppose, since it doesn't seem that there is anywhere to space those elements in the template I was looking at.

So, to get around that, I just pasted all my buttons on transparent backgrounds that overhang both sides by a few pixels, and now it looks pretty much the way I wanted it. Sloppy solution, but I'm not going to sit here and futz with it anymore.

I'm not thrilled with the buttons(color) themselves now, but that's a story for another day :p

Thanks for the help, and this thread really can be marked solved and closed now. I promise, no more ninjaedits! lol
Souljacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket September 4th 2010, 6:44 am

Since this thread appears to be solved, I will lock this thread and mark it as solved.
Navigation bar buttons not spacing correctly 2j4t5a8

Sanket Smile

Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down