The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to remove adverts

+20
thames 300e
Sanket
Einsteinean
oggbad
Darkwing
disdreamer
Sweetheart1
camilo13
Homemadelife
bartek
sixhousepull
jamski
wow99
maiquang
alicia
efbe
MrMario
Kabbalien
Maki1
seadog
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

how to remove adverts Empty how to remove adverts

Post by seadog November 8th 2010, 4:21 pm

adverts have appeared on my site under my header at the top of the page,without my permission,i have been into forum configuration and it doesnt give me the option to remove it.any ideas?

thanks in advance
seadog
Forumember

Male Posts : 123
Language : english

Back to top Go down

how to remove adverts Empty Re: how to remove adverts

Post by Maki1 November 8th 2010, 4:24 pm

Hi,

A-CP => General => Forum >> Configuration >> Activate ads to Guest and save.
Maki1
Maki1
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2529
Language : English »» CSS Stylesheet
Location : The » Support » forum » Section! • No support by PM If you need custom theme please contact me!

Back to top Go down

Post by seadog November 8th 2010, 4:29 pm

thanks for reply,i dont want guests seeing it either m8,how can i remove it completely?

if i was getting payed for it i wouldnt mind keeping it on there!
seadog
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Maki1 November 8th 2010, 4:32 pm

Ok, then

Go to Misc => Credits management => Buy / Obtain credits >> then Spend credits for Ads.

Maki1
Maki1
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2529
Language : English »» CSS Stylesheet
Location : The » Support » forum » Section! • No support by PM If you need custom theme please contact me!

Back to top Go down

Post by seadog November 8th 2010, 4:39 pm

thanks for your help.

i think its awful that forumotion make a pocket out of you!just because they host the forum you own they drain as much money out of you as possible!they put ads on your site without permission (theyre also getting the money for the ads they put on your site)then when you want to remove the ads they charge you for that after spending credits on removing the ads!

grow a backbone owner of forumotion.com!
seadog
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabbalien November 8th 2010, 4:57 pm

completely Agree with you man.
Its a shameless situation.
I have my forum for 3 years and now , for no apparent reason I am forced to have google advertising in my forum, PLUS publicity about insurance company's and all the crap that have nothing to do with the forum topic.

After I have report this changes to happen without notice, I have the Forumotion global Moderator answer me this:
What? If its not working you must pay to remove them.
See more about this topic here:
https://help.forumotion.com/other-problems-f46/how-to-deactivate-ads-from-my-forum-s-t39496.htm

I have my forum for 3 years and what make me have the forum here, was because I was not forced to have advertisements.
After 3 years all change and they even did not made a public announce to the members.

No respect at all...
Shame !

Last edited by Kabbalien on November 8th 2010, 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remove double link)
Kabbalien
Kabbalien
Forumember

Male Posts : 179
Language : English / Portugues / Brazilian / Spanish

http://trancemoon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario November 8th 2010, 8:49 pm

Okay so if you don't want these ad's how will Forumotion make money and then how would Forumotion be here still? Ad's show up on all forums no matter what as Forumotion has a contact with Google. There was a time when Forumotion removed all ad's but had to add them back. So if there was no ad's Forumotion wouldn't be here. Lastly, there are other free forum host that do the same thing.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by seadog November 9th 2010, 10:27 pm

MrMario wrote:Okay so if you don't want these ad's how will Forumotion make money and then how would Forumotion be here still? Ad's show up on all forums no matter what as Forumotion has a contact with Google. There was a time when Forumotion removed all ad's but had to add them back. So if there was no ad's Forumotion wouldn't be here. Lastly, there are other free forum host that do the same thing.

oooooooooooooh!forumotion charge for domain names,more storage and so on,surely the owner of forumotion can give way on something???
seadog
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by seadog November 9th 2010, 11:35 pm

RIP OFF & SWINDLE
seadog
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 10th 2010, 2:32 am

I'll take your words and give you three in return: warned & banned. Very Happy

Look, forumotion is not a charity. They are in business to make a profit. If they don't put ads on your FREE forum, where do you think they will make money? From domain names? Most of that money goes to Network Solutions. From gallery space? Yeah, right....

I have no problems with forumotion putting ads on my forums. That's how they can offer forums for free. And remember, you can limit the ad display to your guests. You can use the removal of ads as an incentive to have those guests become members. To me it's a win-win situation.

However, I do have problems with the spyware forumotion has attempted to put on my forums, like the LSOs from the AddThis widget, and the tracking beacon they recently installed. Both are pretty insidious, and I wish forumotion would spend more time fixing their outdated server code and less time with things like this...

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe November 10th 2010, 2:41 am

I agree with Mr Mario to a point and that's ok for Forumotion to have Google ads, they do provide us with great service but what i don't like is the type of ads. I get advertising on my forum for 'Medibank'.
Now, i live in Australia, my forum is for a local football association in Australia, no overseas members and Medibank doe's not exist in Australia.. they are pointless ads and a waste of good space IMO.

And yet, some Forumotion forums still have ads like this site (link below) which i don't mind...while others get the banner type.
http://www.tfwforum.com/forum.htm
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Male Posts : 455

http://www.chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia November 10th 2010, 10:46 am

My members and myself are happy to pay the small fee to remove the ads. Nothing is available for free these days. Stop being a troll.
alicia
alicia
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by maiquang November 10th 2010, 11:00 am

only advs with guests is more than enough
maiquang
maiquang
Forumember

Male Posts : 199
Language : VN

Back to top Go down

Post by wow99 November 10th 2010, 11:09 am

Dion wrote: And remember, you can limit the ad display to your guests.

We've had that for a few years yes but that doesn't seem to work anymore since this morning. No warning no nothing.
wow99
Forumember

Language : a few

Back to top Go down

Post by jamski November 10th 2010, 11:16 am

Yup, same here. Members are now seeing these HORRIBLE ads. How can I remove for members please?

Thanks,

James.
jamski
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by sixhousepull November 10th 2010, 1:03 pm

I just need a little more clarity here.

I have always had ads activated for guests. Always.
For the last year and a half anyhow.
Now, atm, they are on every page, no matter if you are logged in or not.
Does this mean the only option to remove them is by credits?

When I first logged into my site this morning and I noticed the ads and the first thing I did was check my admin panel. I had noticed the section that says

Activate ads :

had been moved to All, and was no longer on guest where its been forever. So I ticked the Guest button and saved my changes.
But the ads remain all over the forum for everyone.
Since this doesn't seem to work, it seems to me the only way to remove them is by spending credits. Is this correct?

If that is the case the only thing I can ask is why? If people are going to be forced into spend money to maintain their site in this fashion, wouldn't it be easier for them to just go pay a 5 dollar a month host site fee and leave forumotion behind? No ads comes standard on all pay for hosting sites and you get much more than what is offered here.
I'm not understanding how this benefits anyone. Not the users. Not forumotion.

Im hoping someone can actually clear some of this up. I have some bigger decision to make other wise as to where my community is being relocated to.

sixhousepull

Male Posts : 12

http://sixthnation.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bartek November 10th 2010, 1:08 pm

Same here. It's horrible how this wasn't communicated!
bartek

Back to top Go down

Post by Homemadelife November 10th 2010, 1:09 pm

OK

I woke up this morning to a couple of dozen pms complaining about horrible flashing nonsense ads.

Has forumotion been hacked? These are most certainly not google ads - I keep those turned on only for guests and don't actually mind them as they are targeted to my forum.

Any staff members want to clear this up, because at the moment this is coming across as extortion.

I have no problem paying a small hosting fee - everyone has to make a living and I like the way forumotion is run, but to impose these horrible seizure inducing nonsense ads and then force us to pay you to remove them is not a very nice way of doing business...

Please prove me wrong, please be better people than this..
Homemadelife

Back to top Go down

Post by jamski November 10th 2010, 1:18 pm

Looking at it, it seems like about £15 to remove them for members for a year. Not a lot but annoying none the less.
jamski
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by camilo13 November 10th 2010, 1:56 pm

Same problem and here
something has to be done
camilo13

Language : greek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetheart1 November 10th 2010, 2:02 pm

Read this thread...then hopefully you'll understand that FM are working on it and stop your complaining how to remove adverts Ddr555

https://help.forumotion.com/administration-panel-credits-and-domain-names-problems-f44/
Sweetheart1
Sweetheart1
Forumember

Female Posts : 146

http://copyrightcorner.aforumfree.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by disdreamer November 10th 2010, 2:04 pm

My members seeing the ads also even tho I set it for guests.
disdreamer
disdreamer
Forumember

Female Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing November 10th 2010, 2:46 pm

bartek wrote:Same here. It's horrible how this wasn't communicated!

It's the exact same stunt they pulled last year, same method and everything, no communication via admin panel, nothing
Darkwing
Darkwing
Forumember

Male Posts : 56

http://flashtrek.motionsforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wow99 November 10th 2010, 3:03 pm

disdreamer wrote:My members seeing the ads also even tho I set it for guests.

They have changed the settings this morning. Go and check. My problems disappeared when I set activate ads to guests and members strangely enough.
wow99
Forumember

Language : a few

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 10th 2010, 3:54 pm

The problem will have disappeared for you because you are an admin, but your members will still be able to see the ads. I've been in the admin panel trying every which way to stop the ads for members but it seems the only way now is to buy credits.

Back to top Go down

Post by oggbad November 10th 2010, 3:54 pm

I think the key points here are that Forumotion have forced this upon the users with no consultation. Yesterday the advertisements were not there and today they are. There is obviously no such thing as democracy in Forumotion - it is management by diktat. The placement is intrusive as is the flash content - it is designed to irritate and it succeeds.

Next there is no offer from them to remove them. It is obvious that this is a take it or leave it attitude my management. It shows what they think of you. They would rather dance to the tune of Mr Big-Bucks Google than listen to the users - or even ask them or tell them that it is coming. I would prefer to pay a fee and not have them to be honest but I don't think Forumotion care what any of us thinks.

The ads are targeted by Google using previous Google searches by members - many people find this to be intrusive and suggestive of Big Brother spying on their actions.

Regardless of Dion's experience, the advertisements are seen by guests and members despite the Configuration settings.

If Forumotion are going to continue to ride roughshod over the wishes of members I will advise my members to ignore the advertisements while I look for an alternative solution.
oggbad
oggbad
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 10th 2010, 5:56 pm

I now wish I hadn't made my post. Ads started appearing this morning for members as well as guests, and there is no way to turn them off.

I hope this is a mistake, because it is going to hurt forumotion's business. It was bad enough that they added spyware. I guess I'm going to have to tell my members to start using Firefox with Adblock Plus, and to add the following filters: criteo.com for the tracking beacon, z5x.net for the ads, and addthis_widget for the AddThis LSOs.

It's also interesting that the ads are not on this forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Einsteinean November 10th 2010, 5:58 pm

My staff cannot see the ads (I cannot see them) but regular members can. As I've said before, I am more than willing to pay to get them removed, but it seems like EXTORTION, and I may take my forum elsewhere.
Einsteinean
Einsteinean
Forumember

Male Posts : 60
Language : English, limited Latin

http://fujiplanet.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket November 10th 2010, 6:03 pm

I have no clue on this issue. However, i have asked about this.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by Homemadelife November 10th 2010, 6:09 pm

Sanket wrote:I have no clue on this issue. However, i have asked about this.

This is killing my forum, totally inappropriate for my members and their kids.

and I can't even move my forum to another host, thanks Forumotion, you are destroying a years worth of work...

Last edited by Homemadelife on November 10th 2010, 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Homemadelife

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next