The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ????

+123
imperialgunnery
Kiekeboe
brij
WHITESABBATH
Plancker
MissLikeICare
Fred1000
Codyy
Gandalfar
Proteas
katarina
magnuse74
Keltic
brenda
BC Staff
psaras
adoz80
see you
Nico©
mcoy
MrMario
adminplpl
Kalliopi
Raziel21
danubius
sgeorge
Bokssha
Nomee
Saxaca
majky
Maki1
tihon4o
kcbban
lindamarie
Queen Julien
lillulu
vonbon
Honor
paor
randi.philleo
Paranormal Dawn
Asteroid35
Goldman26
Doctor Inferno
Shadow
BellaMay
Holyangel
Emma8432
SophieDophs
Mio-chan
Franchise
Cody!
shintre
TheListener_
LBDR
^Glyndwr^
matt_m
mulder_fbi
RAFAJulie
Master Marc
Blaster1
Evanbuddy16
TimV
jjaxd
Prizm
Sanket
Guruland
Darkwing
Yonni
STEELHED
DigitalCyanide
Firdous E. Bareen
th4nhc0n9
TM
Angi
Agenda
Bundy
Linkzeldafan4
rebstew
Tracian
Azuolas
Astrid Landsaat
disdreamer
endless013
esoterica
efbe
jhuggett
Rich Stone
alicia
JP Cloud
kirk
dark_wizzie
fredhoggin
Shikadi
Valerio
Diana
Parrot
livescore
Glad E Olah
Einsteinean
JCC1004
thames 300e
oggbad
Raptor@TDC
Violetstar
Made
Homemadelife
DebconLady
Kabbalien
Darren1
Pontifex
nguyenart
ivan137
wow99
Nina
patiogardener
baldy
Ras
leamarieuk
wildsurfer
Laughing Assassin
ifekt
maiquang
127 posters

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Important [Only Topic] Why advertisement ????

Post by maiquang November 10th 2010, 10:04 am

First topic message reminder :

I have a great time with the other members but Why advertisement column reappear.

Made an Only Topic

Typlo wrote:Dear user,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused, the ads are here to support our developers and the staff so we can offer you new features.

This is only a test for the moment. Wink

Latest Update:
Typlo wrote:We have taken into consideration your complaints, and due to popular demand we will add back the option "guests" in your admin panel.

So everything will be back to normal on your forums, but if you want to support us please keep the option as it is. Wink

We are sorry for the inconvenience, and will be studying new revenue ways for next year, the option Goldman26 mentioned on Page 10 seems a nice alternative.
maiquang
maiquang
Forumember

Male Posts : 199
Language : VN

Back to top Go down

Important Re: [Only Topic] Why advertisement ????

Post by Master Marc November 11th 2010, 11:22 pm

jjaxd wrote:what does + rep at you mean..
I've given you positive reputation.

esoterica wrote:and cause further topics to be created.
Or worst. On other forums where the members will make you switch hosts after their comments, TT
Master Marc
Master Marc
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 3661
Language : English and Spanish.

Back to top Go down

Post by jjaxd November 11th 2010, 11:24 pm

thanks I am aware I can do that.. but skimming the replies means I do have to read through often pages of complaints first..

As I said well aware of the frustration but we have voiced our opinion lets let them fix the issue

no point in going around in circles is there
jjaxd
Forumember

Language : english

http://ivfandacaustralia.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jjaxd November 11th 2010, 11:26 pm

Master Marc wrote:
jjaxd wrote:what does + rep at you mean..
I've given you positive reputation.

esoterica wrote:and cause further topics to be created.
Or worst. On other forums where the members will make you switch hosts after their comments, TT

thanks Master Marc.... appreciate it.. and now I will stop replying to this thread and will come back later on today to see what has been resolved. otherwise I will trust the guys here at Forumotion to fix the problem.. we have not had any issues with them as a host in the past and I do believe they will do the right thing by us in this instance

jjaxd
Forumember

http://ivfandacaustralia.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fredhoggin November 11th 2010, 11:29 pm

Locking it is not the answer as I for one will just start another topic.

I ask you this would you take this long to give your members a simple answer to a problem ?
fredhoggin

Male Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontifex November 11th 2010, 11:33 pm

Master Marc wrote:But, I'm seeing that they might remove these ads in the next 1-3 weeks
I trully hope that this is not true! 3 weeks is too long, because I can lose a lot of users in this time.
In this 2 days I noticed a lack of visitors on my forum (and I'm pretty sure that the reason are these annoying ads), therefore I am afraid to think what may happen in three weeks?! Confused

All the work that I put over three years into my forum is now going down. So not fair!
You could at least give us the option to place this advertisment somewhere else (at the bottom, for example).
Pontifex
Pontifex
Forumember

Female Posts : 63
Language : Slovene, English, German

Back to top Go down

Post by RAFAJulie November 11th 2010, 11:38 pm

fredhoggin wrote: Locking it is not the answer as I for one will just start another topic.
This topic is an 'only topic' so you should respect that. Why start another one? We will get answers when the team are ready. I do believe it should be locked until such times.

Pontifex wrote:You could at least give us the option to place this advertisment somewhere else (at the bottom, for example).
Totally agree as a temp solution.

RAFAJulie
RAFAJulie
Forumember

Female Posts : 55
Language : English

http://rescueaidforanimals.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana November 11th 2010, 11:41 pm

jjaxd wrote:thanks I am aware I can do that.. but skimming the replies means I do have to read through often pages of complaints first..

As I said well aware of the frustration but we have voiced our opinion lets let them fix the issue

no point in going around in circles is there

Yeah, we've voiced our opinions for 9 pages and several other threads that got locked and still don't have an answer that we should have received beforehand. And as it has turned out it is not a matter of fixing something it's a matter of explaining and apologizing to some members.
I'm not too frustrated cause luckily my forum members are not really complaining yet, but I still wan the ads gone cause of inappropriate content.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post by Mio-chan November 11th 2010, 11:54 pm

I'm fine with having ads, but the ones that are currently up are VERY annoying and do NOT relate to the website!

Seriously FM, stupid choice you have made. Hopefully you will correct this one and regain your reputation.
Mio-chan
Mio-chan
Forumember

Male Posts : 284
Language : English, Portuguese | CSS3, HTML and learning C++

http://www.theolympiansclan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Prizm November 11th 2010, 11:56 pm

TheListener_ wrote:Even though my other accounts have been banned, I'd like to share what I have to say about this with you guys.

This isn't a bug or a glitch. Bugs and glitches do not get translated to 9 different languages and installed on every single admin panel.

This has been planned by Forumactif, which seems to have modified this option on every branch (Forumotion, Foroactivo, Forumeiros, etc.) but on on any french forums.

What they're trying to do is getting a lot of visits for about 5/6 days and then get LOTS of money. Greedy, isn't it. And after this, to pretend nothing has happened, we'll be given some new updates and features. And we don't even know if that's true, but it'd be a clever way to say 'we have f*cked your forums up, now we'll give you something to make it up'. Not fair at all...

No Forumactif official worker (and there's 10 of them) has given any answers or comments about it, and they have been online (as a matter of fact, they have replied to other topics and left the adverts one closed) and the Twitter and Facebook accounts have been used as well. Why? Simple, they don't really want to say the real reason on why they're doing this. They haven't even told any of their staff members on the support forum what was going on. Shocking.

This will probably be like this until Thursday. Forumactif doesn't work on Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays, and they seem to like doing updates on thurdays only. So we'll have quite a rough weekend :/

I, on one side, have been lucky enough to have gotten lots of credits as donations by my members and used them to remove them; but most people cannot spend so much money to remove a stupid sign. This is supposed to be a free host. I do understand Mr Mario's comment on another topic, 'Forumotion places Google Ads to get money from forums'. That's completely acceptable, I don't blame them if they place adverts for guests, but I do if they do it with members too.

I have a little proposal for staff members, which I've read on the Spanish Support Forum. It's really easy to remove ads using CSS, but your forum can be banned if you do so (I know some sties that have been shut down because of that). Why isn't this temporarily allowed? It's just a workaround, yet admins might not be happy if people do it.

Thanks. Cool

+1 for this post. I think you are correct.

As for people who say they don't like the types of ads being shown, just face it you don't have a choice for what ad is displayed. The ads are set by the advertising company. Forumotion doesn't choose the ads to display.
Prizm
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by wow99 November 12th 2010, 12:17 am

Bundy wrote:Some one asked me which forum host i am moving to but can't remember where that post was or i can't be bothered looking (sorry) anyway there are 2 you can choose from, both have been around for many years and are ad free.
One is a phpbb3 forum and the other is a SMF forum. Both are very reliable hosts. Smile

http://www.phpbb3now.com/

http://www.smfnew.com/

Edit...i'l probably get banned for posting those sites up, but i don't care, i won't be around here anymore, i thought i'd let others know that there are other free forum providers out there that do offer good quality forums.

Thanks Bundy it was me. My members don't complain, some only see the google ads guess they must have some sort of blocker on already. Now it's up to me to decide if we're going to bother starting again because the way we are being treated.
wow99
Forumember

Language : a few

Back to top Go down

Post by Azuolas November 12th 2010, 12:18 am

I don't complain about ads for everyone, but please give everyone option to use text only ads.
Azuolas
Forumember

Language : lithuanian/english

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe November 12th 2010, 12:20 am

Prizm wrote:
TheListener_ wrote:Even though my other accounts have been banned, I'd like to share what I have to say about this with you guys.

This isn't a bug or a glitch. Bugs and glitches do not get translated to 9 different languages and installed on every single admin panel.

This has been planned by Forumactif, which seems to have modified this option on every branch (Forumotion, Foroactivo, Forumeiros, etc.) but on on any french forums.

What they're trying to do is getting a lot of visits for about 5/6 days and then get LOTS of money. Greedy, isn't it. And after this, to pretend nothing has happened, we'll be given some new updates and features. And we don't even know if that's true, but it'd be a clever way to say 'we have f*cked your forums up, now we'll give you something to make it up'. Not fair at all...

No Forumactif official worker (and there's 10 of them) has given any answers or comments about it, and they have been online (as a matter of fact, they have replied to other topics and left the adverts one closed) and the Twitter and Facebook accounts have been used as well. Why? Simple, they don't really want to say the real reason on why they're doing this. They haven't even told any of their staff members on the support forum what was going on. Shocking.

This will probably be like this until Thursday. Forumactif doesn't work on Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays, and they seem to like doing updates on thurdays only. So we'll have quite a rough weekend :/

I, on one side, have been lucky enough to have gotten lots of credits as donations by my members and used them to remove them; but most people cannot spend so much money to remove a stupid sign. This is supposed to be a free host. I do understand Mr Mario's comment on another topic, 'Forumotion places Google Ads to get money from forums'. That's completely acceptable, I don't blame them if they place adverts for guests, but I do if they do it with members too.

I have a little proposal for staff members, which I've read on the Spanish Support Forum. It's really easy to remove ads using CSS, but your forum can be banned if you do so (I know some sties that have been shut down because of that). Why isn't this temporarily allowed? It's just a workaround, yet admins might not be happy if people do it.

Thanks. Cool

+1 for this post. I think you are correct.

As for people who say they don't like the types of ads being shown, just face it you don't have a choice for what ad is displayed. The ads are set by the advertising company. Forumotion doesn't choose the ads to display.
I think you will find that that is incorrect, it's Forumotion who have changed what advertising you see, remember you did have a choice before this crap started, banner ads or text ads, there's more money to be made with flashing banner ads and Forumotion have gone with that. I honestly can't see how they can make money from the ads, apart from forum owners who are prepared to hand over money, surely everyone has the brains not to click on them.
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Male Posts : 455

http://www.chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontifex November 12th 2010, 12:22 am

The weekend is approaching, so I think there will be no solution/ answer/ explanation till next week.

Buuu Thumb down
Pontifex
Pontifex
Forumember

Female Posts : 63
Language : Slovene, English, German

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs November 12th 2010, 12:26 am

What can I say? Except, Forumotion... SHAME on you!

Typlo wrote:
Dear user,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused, the ads are here to support our developers and the staff so we can offer you new features.

This is only a test for the moment.
I wish I could believe this, I really do, but we all know deep down that something underhand is going on here.

You have not even afforded us the courtesy of advance warning that you were going to force these advertisements on our forums. This is sharp practice, indeed. Crying or Very sad
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by Einsteinean November 12th 2010, 12:29 am

The ads are here to support our developers by giving them more money. And for what purpose will this money be used? I hope to god it is something we can benefit from.

I have lost nearly all faith and credit in forumotion. I really have.
Einsteinean
Einsteinean
Forumember

Male Posts : 60
Language : English, limited Latin

http://fujiplanet.net

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe November 12th 2010, 12:32 am

Einsteinean wrote:The ads are here to support our developers by giving them more money. And for what purpose will this money be used? I hope to god it is something we can benefit from.

I have lost nearly all faith and credit in forumotion. I really have.
Well Christmas is just around the corner, perhaps this will give the developers a nice Christmas bonus. Smile
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Azuolas November 12th 2010, 12:35 am

wow99 wrote:
Bundy wrote:Some one asked me which forum host i am moving to but can't remember where that post was or i can't be bothered looking (sorry) anyway there are 2 you can choose from, both have been around for many years and are ad free.
One is a phpbb3 forum and the other is a SMF forum. Both are very reliable hosts. Smile

Edit...i'l probably get banned for posting those sites up, but i don't care, i won't be around here anymore, i thought i'd let others know that there are other free forum providers out there that do offer good quality forums.

Thanks Bundy it was me. My members don't complain, some only see the google ads guess they must have some sort of blocker on already. Now it's up to me to decide if we're going to bother starting again because the way we are being treated.
smfnew dont say anything about no ads. So you can except ads on them in future too..
Azuolas
Forumember

Language : lithuanian/english

Back to top Go down

Post by Bundy November 12th 2010, 12:55 am

Azuolas wrote:
wow99 wrote:

smfnew dont say anything about no ads. So you can except ads on them in future too..

Iv'e had a forum with SMFnew for a long time, (almost 2 years) only as a testing forum with not one add...i didn't use it as my main forum because i'm not really a fan of SMF. Ok a time may come when they decide to place ads, who knows, and there are other forum providers out there that have ads until you remove them but they are text ads, not this crap we see here today. I'd rather spend my money there than here considering all the sneaky back door activities that go on with Forumotion....
Bundy
Bundy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bundy November 12th 2010, 1:05 am

Sorry to double post, but in less than 60 seconds i made a new forum with smfnew.... below is a picture of the forum...you can see..no adds!!

[Only Topic] Why advertisement ???? - Page 9 Panthe10

Bundy
Bundy

Back to top Go down

Post by esoterica November 12th 2010, 1:13 am

I posted on Forumotion's Facebook page after getting no response here or on Twitter. Here is a slightly edited version of my post from Facebook, explaining why I, like many others, are so agitated:

I am far from liking Forumotion at this point.

You've changed the way advertising works on forums, without bothering to notify forum administrators first. Then when questioned about it, no response from Forumotion is forthcoming.

The advertising on the forums is highly inappropriate and in some cases offensive. Miracle cures advertised on IVF support forums, flashing banner ads on epilepsy support forums, puppy selling details on animal rescue forums, and 'call me now' adverts on family and child friendly forums! Worse, even though some people have paid to remove these inappropriate ads they are reporting that they are still being subjected to them. Still, no response from Forumotion.

On Twitter, Forumotion post happily and ignore questions regarding the issue, and on Facebook, people's questions go unanswered.

This complete disregard for your member base is appalling. Show some respect and answer the questions being asked.

Nothing I've said is violent or vulgar.
It is not unfair of me to expect a response to this issue.
I am disgusted that anything even slightly adult related is being advertised on any forum, especially considering it may be in breach of Forumotion's own Terms Of Service.

These forums are here for us to seek support, answers, help, etc.
I do not think it is fair to call for people to stop expressing their concerns and pleas for answers and advice, or to request locking the thread.
esoterica

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma8432 November 12th 2010, 1:13 am

I'm experiencing the same thing.
Emma8432
Emma8432
Forumember

Female Posts : 219
Language : Meep

http://warriorcatsworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Holyangel November 12th 2010, 1:21 am

I guess this is still no further, why they wont just explain to us what is happening i don't know !!!!
Holyangel
Holyangel
Forumember

Female Posts : 62

http://holyshihtzu.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Einsteinean November 12th 2010, 1:33 am

I like how this has brought a lot of new support forumers out (such as myself). If we all don't get FED UP WITH FORUMOTION'S CRAP, we might stay, eh?
Einsteinean
Einsteinean
Forumember

Male Posts : 60
Language : English, limited Latin

http://fujiplanet.net

Back to top Go down

Post by esoterica November 12th 2010, 1:37 am

The really insane part is that many people will close their forums and start again elsewhere.
I've done it before & I'm in the process of choosing a new home for my forum now.
If Forumotion were smart they'd realize that they won't be making any money from those that shift, but they could make money if they sold each person's database to them... yet they will withhold purely to try to stop people from leaving.
Oh well, their loss. My community is incredibly loyal, so restarting won't kill us.
esoterica

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe November 12th 2010, 2:42 am

I'd hate to put a dampener on what is already a depressing situation...but not only do we have the annoying ads but some members now and including the Spanish forum are asking why the cost of ad removal has more than doubled since the introduction of the new ads... mind you it's only being asked by a few forum owners at the moment. Worrying times ahead i think.
https://help.forumotion.com/administration-panel-credits-and-domain-names-problems-f44/paying-to-remove-adds-t81100.htm
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Made November 12th 2010, 3:20 am

I was just trying to chill out and waiting to see what FM's staff had to say about this issue.

But now I went into my Admin Panel and the 1,000 credits (around US dollars 12) that cost me this morning to remove my ads for members for a year, now says 1,007 credits. That extra 7 credits makes the cost go up to US dollars 21.42 Shocked Shocked Shocked

Obviously, the "staff and developers" ARE working. And obviously, what's happening is not their fault. They are just employees. But, seriously! Couldn't someone from FM's staff, authorities or whatnot, give an explanation to us? In my opinion, this isn't a matter of money 'cause some would be OK with paying for an ad-free forum and some would just choose to move on. It's a matter of honesty, of corporate transparency and ethics towards the people who have trusted their endeavours and hard work into Forumotion's hands.

I'm not usually a whiner and try to follow each and every FM's rules. But these couple of days have been awfully disappointing. I practice a straightforward communication with my members and that's the ONLY thing I'm asking from Forumotion.

That's all you'll be hearing from me.

Made
Made
Forumember

Female Posts : 180

Back to top Go down

Post by Holyangel November 12th 2010, 3:21 am

Well i just couldnt do it anymore, I paid £7.90 (1000 credits) to get them removed for a year, well done forumotion for making people do this and backing them into a corner...Hope your proud of the way you treat us.

Never really had a problem until now and just shows eh !!!!!!!
Holyangel
Holyangel
Forumember

Female Posts : 62

http://holyshihtzu.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Parrot November 12th 2010, 4:01 am

For a company that runs forums, FM doesn't seem to be in good communication with its staff and moderators! Don't they at least send notices about this kind of stuff?

I am still waiting for a clear explanation about what happened...
Parrot
Parrot

Back to top Go down

Post by TimV November 12th 2010, 4:03 am

Holyangel - have your ads now disappeared as you 'd expect them to? I'm concerned that paying for credits to remove the ads may get negated. Someone earlier on this thread said they'd paid up but the ads were still showing.
TimV
TimV
Forumember

Male Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by TM November 12th 2010, 4:05 am

Mine just disappeared. Thank goodness, thank FM, thank whatever power made them go away !!!
TM
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next