The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spammers and trolls

4 posters

Go down

Spammers and trolls Empty Spammers and trolls

Post by TehIsaac December 15th 2010, 10:37 pm

Right, my forum has been attacked by a really persistent spammer (more accurately a "troll", but that's internet speak). I've noticed he/she's using a spam mail service called "mailinator" that changes his/her e-mail address every few minutes, allowing them to create massive amounts of accounts, which he/she then use to spam my forum. Is there a way to block registrations that use e-mails from certain providers (In this case, it has a few domains, primarily bobmail.com)? And if there isn't, it really should be added.

Thank you.

Edit: I forgot to mention he/she is using a proxy, so IP banning won't work.
TehIsaac

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Spammers and trolls Empty Re: Spammers and trolls

Post by Maki1 December 15th 2010, 11:59 pm

I don't think there is something you can do about it but try this => A-CP => Users & Groups => Users >> Users options >> New accounts activation: by Admin and save.

See if that helps.
Maki1
Maki1
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2529
Language : English »» CSS Stylesheet
Location : The » Support » forum » Section! • No support by PM If you need custom theme please contact me!

Back to top Go down

Post by patiogardener December 16th 2010, 1:35 am

You could also try banning the bobmail.com addresses. Go to your Admin Panel>Advanced>Users & Groups>User>Ban Control>Users>Ban email address>type *@bobmail.com into the little window. Click Add.

Hopefully that will help to keep any emails using that address from registering. Repeat for other @xxxxx.com addresses using an * as a joker.
patiogardener
patiogardener
Forumember

Female Posts : 351

http://apatiogarden.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy December 16th 2010, 6:03 am

I suggest you to keep banning him and also ban his e-mail as the members suggested above, add more moderators if possible to keep the forum clean.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down