The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much credits for a domain?

+6
Sanket
MrMario
WHITESABBATH
fbyhunters
dwd
manong rizal
10 posters

Go down

Solved How much credits for a domain?

Post by manong rizal January 18th 2011, 6:02 am

I was wondering, how much credits do you need to get a domain? And if you have a certain amount of credits, for example just 100 or 200 credits but the domain is more than that, will we still be able to have a domain but only for a limited time?

Thanks.
manong rizal

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: How much credits for a domain?

Post by dwd January 18th 2011, 3:49 pm

No you need 1600 credits. If you have 400, for example, you still need 1200. Good news is that you can buy any amount of credits you want.
dwd

Back to top Go down

Post by fbyhunters January 18th 2011, 5:56 pm

Where do you buy them? I want to transfer my forum to a paid hosted site. I understand that the only way to do this is to buy the domain then transer it through a lenghty process.
Please advise and thank you.
fbyhunters

Back to top Go down

Post by WHITESABBATH January 18th 2011, 6:28 pm

you won't be able transfer forumotion sites data to another host site. Forumotion won't allow it,and they hold the rights to said data. Bummer, i know.

@ fbyhunters I did state data , not domain. Wink

Last edited by WHITESABBATH on January 18th 2011, 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
WHITESABBATH
WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1198
Language : English, F-Bombs

Back to top Go down

Post by fbyhunters January 18th 2011, 6:42 pm

According to this that isn't the case:
https://help.forumotion.com/t79157-transferring-your-domain-name-to-a-new-registrar-host
What are the conditions to be met so you can transfer your domain name to a new registrar/host ?

For starters, a few points you need to know :

1. For offered domain names, you need to wait until 1 month before expiration (For the second year, if you paid the renew the transfer can be made after 3 months. Otherwise no changes in the delay.)
2. For paid domain names, you need to wait 3 months after purchase. (Then, for a paid renew : 3 months. For a free renew : 6 months.)
3. The domain transfer code can only be sent to the email address used at purchase.
4. The domain transfer code is valid for 72 hours

The domain transfer process is 100% free of charges

What is the process to make this transfer possible ?

1. Find a new registrar/host where you will be able to transfer your domain name.

2. Register an account there.

3. Post a new topic in this section Problems with my credits or my domain name with Title "Domain transfer code" and provide your domain name address in the post.

4. Wait for an official staff confirmation.

5. Send to Typlo via PM the following information :

A. The reasons you want the transfer
B. The full name used at purchase
C. The postal address used at purchase
D. The domain name to transfer
E. The email address used at domain purchase
F. The original forum address
G. The forum foundation email address
H. A link to the topic posted in the Problems with my credits or my domain name

6. Forumotion will then verify if your transfer request is legitimate (within 48-72 hours)

7. If the transfer is accepted : the domain transfer code will then be sent to your email address.

8. You then need to provide this transfer code to your new registrar/host. It is to be used within the next 72 hours.

9. Your domain name will then be transferred and appear in your new registrar/host control panel.

Important : After step 4, the process cannot be undone. So make sure you know what you are doing as your domain name could be lost.

We only guarantee transfers for domain name bought/offered on Forumotion. For all other domain names, please contact your specific registrar. We won't provide assistance for external domain names, and for Forumotion domain names once they are transferred.
Once the domain name is transferred, your forum will be redirected to its original address.

This tutorial was written by Typlo, from the English support forum.

No reproduction possible without our agreement, in accordance with article L122-1 of the ICC.

fbyhunters

Back to top Go down

Post by fbyhunters January 18th 2011, 6:45 pm

I am thinking I set up a go daddy host( I already have a domain name there) ,pay to buy the Forumotion domain (like $25 bucks or something- 1600 credits) then transfer it to Godady host and own the thing. I just started my forum and dont want to loose the tiny membership or their posts and it is connected to my www.forhuntersbyhunters.com blogsite. Theyare starting to feed off of each other so I intend to monitize the forum and can't do it or own it here.
Forumotion is a nice place to have a forum for free but in the long run if you wnat to monitize it isn't suited well for that.
Now I just have to figure out what all the hocus pocus is with waiting months and all of that to get the process started.
fbyhunters

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario January 18th 2011, 8:30 pm

May I remind you that double/triple posting isn't tolerated unless separated by 24 hours (Use the edit button) Wink

If you are going to copy a post or somethig the best thing is to do is quote it.

Now what is the question?
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by fbyhunters January 18th 2011, 8:38 pm

Specific questions to the instruction below- Please answer them)
1. For offered domain names, you need to wait until 1 month before expiration (For the second year, if you paid the renew the transfer can be made after 3 months. Otherwise no changes in the delay.)
2. For paid domain names, you need to wait 3 months after purchase. (Then, for a paid renew : 3 months. For a free renew : 6 months.) Does this mean I must wait 3 months after paying for domain name until I can transfer? If so, what is the point of Step #1 Until 3 Months have expired?
3. The domain transfer code can only be sent to the email address used at purchase.
4. The domain transfer code is valid for 72 hours

The domain transfer process is 100% free of charges

What is the process to make this transfer possible ?

1. Find a new registrar/host where you will be able to transfer your domain name.

2. Register an account there.

3. Post a new topic in this section Problems with my credits or my domain name with Title "Domain transfer code" and provide your domain name address in the post.

4. Wait for an official staff confirmation.

5. Send to Typlo via PM the following information :

A. The reasons you want the transfer
B. The full name used at purchase (Full name of the forum or My personal Name?)
C. The postal address used at purchase (I assume my personal Address-Physical?)
D. The domain name to transfer
E. The email address used at domain purchase
F. The original forum address
G. The forum foundation email address (What is this?)
H. A link to the topic posted in the Problems with my credits or my domain name

6. Forumotion will then verify if your transfer request is legitimate (within 48-72 hours)

7. If the transfer is accepted (IF? Assuming all info is provided by Me?): the domain transfer code will then be sent to your email address.

8. You then need to provide this transfer code to your new registrar/host. It is to be used within the next 72 hours.

9. Your domain name will then be transferred and appear in your new registrar/host control panel.

Important : After step 4, the process cannot be undone. So make sure you know what you are doing as your domain name could be lost.

We only guarantee transfers for domain name bought/offered on Forumotion. For all other domain names, please contact your specific registrar. We won't provide assistance for external domain names, and for Forumotion domain names once they are transferred.
Once the domain name is transferred, your forum will be redirected to its original address.

This tutorial was written by Typlo, from the English support forum.

No reproduction possible without our agreement, in accordance with article L122-1 of the ICC.

[/quote]
fbyhunters

Back to top Go down

Post by fbyhunters January 18th 2011, 8:44 pm

WHITESABBATH wrote:you won't be able transfer forumotion sites data to another host site. Forumotion won't allow it,and they hold the rights to said data. Bummer, i know.

@ fbyhunters I did state data , not domain. Wink
So are you saying that even if you buy the domain you cant transfer your membership and posts from the forum as well as the forum itself? I can't geta clear answer on this and am confused.Id like to do it now early on rather than later and risk building my site and not being able to transfer it. I am starting to do giveaways etc and dont want to invest if I cant keep my people.
fbyhunters

Back to top Go down

Post by fbyhunters January 18th 2011, 8:47 pm

MrMario wrote:May I remind you that double/triple posting isn't tolerated unless separated by 24 hours (Use the edit button) Wink

If you are going to copy a post or somethig the best thing is to do is quote it.

Now what is the question?
Is this a question to me?
If so, I have stated it already.
Can I transfer a forum motion forum complete with posts and membership to a new doman(and be free of forumotion completely ) ?
Sounds like I can if I buy a domain somewhere,make a post, wait 3 months then transfer all of it?
Cant I just buy the xml file (or data) or whatever and move on?
fbyhunters

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario January 18th 2011, 10:13 pm

May I remind you that double/triple posting isn't tolerated unless separated by 24 hours (Use the edit button) Wink

Whatever you want to do but you only get to transfer your domain name. All the post, members, topics won't be transfered nor able to buy since Forumotion owns the database.

MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by manong rizal January 18th 2011, 10:16 pm

Another question, we currently have 100 credits only but we were able to book a domain?

How will this work then?
manong rizal

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario January 18th 2011, 10:20 pm

manong rizal wrote:Another question, we currently have 100 credits only but we were able to book a domain?

How will this work then?

Bold and Colored text are reserved for moderation, by staff members only.

Buy more credits.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by fbyhunters January 18th 2011, 10:22 pm

MrMario wrote:May I remind you that double/triple posting isn't tolerated unless separated by 24 hours (Use the edit button) Wink

Whatever you want to do but you only get to transfer your domain name. All the post, members, topics won't be transfered nor able to buy since Forumotion owns the database.

Wow, I guess then I had better build a new forum and host it on go daddy and let my forumotion forum die.That is a shame.
I dont think I can even buy my domain because I already own forhuntersbyhunters.com and dont want a .net or anything else. UUgh. I wish I would have known this from the get go.

fbyhunters

Back to top Go down

Post by manong rizal January 18th 2011, 10:24 pm

MrMario wrote:
manong rizal wrote:Another question, we currently have 100 credits only but we were able to book a domain?

How will this work then?

Buy more credits.

So it will only be possible to have a domain when the credits reach to 1600? I see.
manong rizal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket January 19th 2011, 9:44 am

Yes, you need to wait till you have 1600 credits.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezio January 21st 2011, 3:57 pm

MrMario wrote:

How will this work then?

Buy more credits.

sorry, approximately how much U.S. dollars/pulse, to buy 1600 credits? I suggest not soo expensive. Very Happy Very Happy
so I can buy it for the right price.
Ezio
Ezio
Forumember

Male Posts : 155
Language : Bahasa. Indonesia

http://www.forumbargedoz.ce.ms

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario January 21st 2011, 5:34 pm

Its about $21.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by dada2me January 22nd 2011, 3:06 pm

yes
dada2me

Male Posts : 2
Language : Bulgarian

http://www.letsfifa.bulgarianforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by manong rizal January 23rd 2011, 5:04 am

Okay, some odd thing happened. My forum didn't reach 1600 credits but we got the domain for free?

Did we get for free due to the good activity in our forum or are we getting charged for this? Can anyone help me?
manong rizal

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 January 23rd 2011, 5:12 am

Hi,

manong rizal wrote:Okay, some odd thing happened. My forum didn't reach 1600 credits but we got the domain for free?

Did we get for free due to the good activity in our forum or are we getting charged for this? Can anyone help me?

Indeed, it's for good activity Very Happy
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by manong rizal January 23rd 2011, 5:18 am

Can a forumotion staff confirm this? Im just scared that my forum's being hacked.
manong rizal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy January 23rd 2011, 5:22 am

Yep, you received a free domain for the high activity, no need to worry about this, this happens most of the time. Wink
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by manong rizal January 23rd 2011, 5:32 am

Joph25 wrote:Yep, you received a free domain for the high activity, no need to worry about this, this happens most of the time. Wink

Thank you! THANK YOU FORUMOTION!

The free domain we got is from DomainsByProxy.com and I was reading about it and it seemed safe as the whois thing is private. Thanks again.
manong rizal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy January 23rd 2011, 5:36 am

Solved => Topic Locked (Feel free to open a new topic when new problem arrives Wink)
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum