The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Keep getting spam from supposedly "different" members

4 posters

Go down

We Keep getting spam from supposedly "different" members Empty We Keep getting spam from supposedly "different" members

Post by p4p Sat Feb 26 2011, 04:15

our members are getting this pm in their inbox.I copied it from mine.I keep getting it too:
Posted: Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 9:43
Subject: Dearest in the lord Quote message
Dearest in the lord

I am Mrs.Lydia Tanue, from Sierra Leone . I am married to late Mr.Ohera Tanue, who worked with Sierra Leone Embassy in Ghana for Sixteen years before he died in the year 2008,after a brief illness that lasted for only five days. We were married for Eighteen years with a duaghter (Gloria) who later died in a motor accident.
Before the untimely death of my husband,we were both born again Christians(from Muslim to Christianity). And since after his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home because of the love I have for him .
When my late husband was alive, he deposited the sum of (US$700,000) Seven hundred Thousand United States Dollars) in a prime bank here in Accra, Ghana.
Following my ill health,being a victim to cancer,I have decided to donate this fund to a Christian organizations (Church or person) that will utilize this fund the way I am going to instruct herein,according to the desire of my late husband. I want this fund to be used in Christian Activities like,Orphanages, Christain schools, and Churches for propagating the word of god and to endeavour that the house of the lord is maintained.
I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians and do not know about this deposit . I am not afraid of death since I know where I am going. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace".
I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health situation as well the presence of my late husband's relatives around me . I don't want them to know about this development/wish of my late husband hence I want it to be fulfilled . As soon as I receive your reply, I shall give you the contact of the bank here in Accra and would introduce you officially to them.
My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and truth. Please always be prayerful all through your life as well commit me into your daily prayers.Contact me on this email(mrstanue@datafull.com) as soon as possible since any delay in your reply will give me room to source another Church/christian for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein. Hoping to receive your reply immediately .

Remain blessed in the Lord.
Lydia Tanue.
44 Boundary Road
Accra - Ghana
we banned this person and a month later we're getting the same type of letter from a new member.how do we step up our security to stop this.We'll lose good members because they will get tired of getting this stuff.Some folks thought we sent it to them.We keep banning and 'they' keep coming back.Can we make our board membership only with a password block?
What CAN we do other than keep banning each one that comes in and does this?
p4p
p4p
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

We Keep getting spam from supposedly "different" members Empty Re: We Keep getting spam from supposedly "different" members

Post by Jophy Sat Feb 26 2011, 05:15

Hello,

I assume that this one is a spambot sending random messages via pm, to lessen the amount of spambots that register on your forum, I suggest you to add an Image Verfication for your forum:
https://help.forumotion.com/t9643-how-to-add-image-verification-to-your-forum

And also, keep banning the spambots, and also ban the e-mails they use so they won't come back with same e-mail, and to delay the time that they will register again:
https://help.forumotion.com/t10774-banning-a-member
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924
Language : English

Back to top Go down

We Keep getting spam from supposedly "different" members Empty Re: We Keep getting spam from supposedly "different" members

Post by kirk Sat Feb 26 2011, 06:12

Yeah thats about all you can do.
Like joph said the image verification will help alot.
Not only for bots which would not be able to get around that at all.
But for any members that are trying to spam, sure the can still do it but it will slow them down and hopefully get sick of putting the verification in every time.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by lisa1302 Sat Feb 26 2011, 17:11

You could increase the number of posts a members needs before they are able to use forum PMs?

Admin Panel - General - Messages/Emails - Private Messages - Minimum posts before sending private messages

Set it to a figure you feel reasonable
lisa1302
lisa1302
Forumember

Female Posts : 305
Language : Enlish

http://www.babiesandall.com

Back to top Go down