The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to create a link that takes you to the last read post in a thread?

3 posters

Go down

How to create a link that takes you to the last read post in a thread? Empty How to create a link that takes you to the last read post in a thread?

Post by Diana March 13th 2011, 2:20 pm

How to create a link that takes you to the last read post in a thread?
I have quite a few links to threads in the subforum description but they all go to the first page. I know you can post a link to a certain page but how do I make it....relative or chaning so it would go to the last read post by any random member?
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286
Language : English

Back to top Go down

How to create a link that takes you to the last read post in a thread? Empty Re: How to create a link that takes you to the last read post in a thread?

Post by Base March 13th 2011, 2:38 pm

Hello rhe,

You are able to create a button instead of a link which directs you to the last post in a topic. To do that, please go to:

1. Administration Panel (advanced mode)
2. Display Tab
3. Pics management - advanced mode (on the left, under Pictures and Colors)
4. Select "Mini-icons" tab
5. Fill in an image URL for the fields "Last post link" and "Last post link - New"

They will create a button next to the topic that allows you to jump straight to the last post. Very Happy

Regards,

Base
Base
Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

How to create a link that takes you to the last read post in a thread? Empty Re: How to create a link that takes you to the last read post in a thread?

Post by Diana March 13th 2011, 3:06 pm

I already have that image there. But I have several links to threads and I want them all to go to the last post in that certain thread.
I have the links in the subforum description.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Base March 13th 2011, 3:20 pm

EDIT: Yes this is possible actually.

To do that, you will need to add ?view=newest at the end of each of your URLs. Wink

For example, this topic would be: https://help.forumotion.com/t87323-how-to-create-a-link-that-takes-you-to-the-last-read-post-in-a-thread?view=newest

Regards,

Base
Base
Base
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ToTheFuture March 13th 2011, 3:41 pm

That's pretty handy, thanks! Very Happy
ToTheFuture
ToTheFuture
Forumember

Language : English, Français

Back to top Go down

Post by Base March 13th 2011, 3:41 pm

You're welcome! Although, you can only use that link if there are actually new posts in the topic. If there aren't any, then you will receive the message:

No new posts since your last visit

Wink
Base
Base
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana March 13th 2011, 6:58 pm

Oh thanks! Will try it out later Wink
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Base March 13th 2011, 6:59 pm

You're welcome! But make sure that you have read my warning in the above post. Tell me if it works. Wink
Base
Base
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ToTheFuture March 15th 2011, 1:39 am

I think it does. The "posts since last visit" thing is something I used since my first day foruming. Razz I notice things well.
ToTheFuture
ToTheFuture
Forumember

Language : English, Français

Back to top Go down