The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to ban a guest/how to see a guests IP?

+2
MrMario
maddyclyde9
6 posters

Go down

How to ban a guest/how to see a guests IP? Empty How to ban a guest/how to see a guests IP?

Post by maddyclyde9 May 2nd 2011, 10:12 pm

There is one member that comes to the guest arean time after time and is extremly rude. I want to know; how do I get their IP, or, how do I ban them altogether? I do not want to close the guest area if at all possible
Forum:
http://warriorsrpg.motionforum.net/
maddyclyde9
Forumember

Language : Howell, Virginia

Back to top Go down

How to ban a guest/how to see a guests IP? Empty Re: How to ban a guest/how to see a guests IP?

Post by MrMario May 2nd 2011, 10:14 pm

You will need to be online if they have posted a message as being a guest. If they have click the IP button on the post to see the IP. If they haven't posted, you will need to be online at the same time to get the IP. You will find that in the admin panel.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

How to ban a guest/how to see a guests IP? Empty Re: How to ban a guest/how to see a guests IP?

Post by lisa1302 May 2nd 2011, 10:18 pm

There should be a button to click for Admins in the top right of posts, it shows the IP.

I wouldn't even bother trying to ban a person by IP though, if they are that determined to post then they will just change their IP!

Also you have to be very careful if you do ban an IP as anyone on an iphone has an IP used by lots of other IP users, and some ISPs (talk talk I know of) use the same IP for many of their customers - so banning one IP could ban a massive number of people.

This is no fault of forumotion....any forum/website would have the same issue.

lisa1302
lisa1302
Forumember

Female Posts : 305
Language : Enlish

http://www.babiesandall.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TM June 17th 2011, 4:44 pm

My question is who are these guest ? I know some are real people and that's cool but mine is a small forum and we may have 6 or more guest at a time with their IPs showing up as Japan, Russia or anyplace else. Are these real people or bots of some kind ? My forum is set so that a person has to sign in to see anything at all so I can't understand a real person setting there for an hour or two looking at a log in screen.
TM
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana June 17th 2011, 8:08 pm

You go to admin panel and on the statistics page, at the bottom there's a who's online paneland it displays guests and their IPs.
Diana
Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by TM June 17th 2011, 8:34 pm

Actually it just says 'guest', shows what section they are looking at and gives the IP. The IP when traced goes to any number of different countries. I seriously doubt that someone in Japan is sitting in front of their screen looking at the log in pop up for an hour or so. My question is whether or not some of these guest are automated bots.
TM
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy June 18th 2011, 3:37 am

Please avoid bumping old topics

Topic Locked
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum