The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Notify when someone posts" not as default?

3 posters

Go down

"Notify when someone posts" not as default? Empty "Notify when someone posts" not as default?

Post by jonsnow07 December 14th 2007, 10:22 pm

I was looking through the admin panel but I couldnt see any options that would let me make it so that the option to "notify when someone posts" is not on by default. Is this possible? Dont really want my inbox full of mails just because i forget to untick it.
jonsnow07

Language : English

Back to top Go down

"Notify when someone posts" not as default? Empty Re: "Notify when someone posts" not as default?

Post by jbowyer October 6th 2008, 10:25 am

jonsnow07 wrote:I was looking through the admin panel but I couldnt see any options that would let me make it so that the option to "notify when someone posts" is not on by default. Is this possible? Dont really want my inbox full of mails just because i forget to untick it.

Hi, Jon:

Yes, I'm replying to one of your old posts, but the issue is relevant for me now.

The option is not in the Admin Panel. Rather, each individual member of a forum can set this option on the Preferences "tab" of their Profile.

I'm the opposite of you. I want the default for the option "Always notify me of replies" set to "Yes". Personally, I don't post controversial messages that would provoke a slew of responses; thus, I don't have the problem "inbox full of mails". I tend to post messages about questions that I can't figure out myself, and I usually receive only a couple of replies.

I **want** to receive an email notice when a reply to one of my messages arrives. What's the alternative? I must check my message on the forum every five minutes to see whether anyone has replied yet. I *hate* that approach because I would feel like a teenager checking for an SMS every five minutes to see whether anyone in the world loves me. Smile

Unfortunately (for me), Forumotion sides with you now. The default setting for the option "Always notify me of replies" is set to "No" for all new users.

Even worse (for me), Forumotion does not allow administrators to change these default settings. If you search for "preference", one hit is a message entitled "How can you set a primary preference for all members?" posted by LGO MR TrixX. The reply by Sunny_D, a moderator, states "The default value of profile preference settings cannot be changed".

I wish Forumotion would allow administrators to specify the default settings for user preferences.
jbowyer

Language : English

Back to top Go down

"Notify when someone posts" not as default? Empty Re: "Notify when someone posts" not as default?

Post by zakir321 October 7th 2008, 2:32 pm

On the other hand, you also have to consider that a general activation of email-notifications would most likely be annoying to many members. People really should or even have to know if emails are being sent to them, and that's not guaranteed if you make this decision for them. Many might consider this as unwanted spam.

You see, each coin has two sides. In my personal opinion it's the correct decision to leave this default setting untouched. All your users, including yourself, can mark this option in their profiles with only one click. Wink
zakir321

Language : english

Back to top Go down