Can we incorporate chats such as Ajax or Javaflash chat Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
5 posters

Can we incorporate chats such as Ajax or Javaflash chat

Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 8755
    Language : English & Basic French

Can we incorporate chats such as Ajax or Javaflash chat Empty Can we incorporate chats such as Ajax or Javaflash chat

Post by Derri June 9th 2012, 4:10 am

Is it possible to add a Ajax chat or JavaFlash chat to our forums?
    http://www.ajaxchat.org/
    VirtualKid
    Forumember

Male Posts : 41
    Language : English

Can we incorporate chats such as Ajax or Javaflash chat Empty Re: Can we incorporate chats such as Ajax or Javaflash chat

Post by VirtualKid June 9th 2012, 6:13 am

because sometimes I don't think that i like the FM chat. no offense.
    Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Can we incorporate chats such as Ajax or Javaflash chat Empty Re: Can we incorporate chats such as Ajax or Javaflash chat

Post by Derri June 9th 2012, 6:33 am

VirtualKid wrote:because sometimes I don't think that i like the FM chat. no offense.

I agree. Like it is the fact that there is a link that goes to another forum and some members have complained about it. Also it does not work on internet explorer so it sort of fails for a lot of members. So is this possible? To integrate a chat to FM,
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51515

Post by SLGray June 9th 2012, 6:39 am

It works when I use IE8. What do you mean by a link takes you to another forum?

Can we incorporate chats such as Ajax or Javaflash chat Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Post by Derri June 9th 2012, 6:49 am

slg wrote:It works when I use IE8. What do you mean by a link takes you to another forum?

Top left. You click on it and a link FMQuery. It used to show the chat version. But now you can edit it out and change the title of your chatbox on FMChat. However the link is still active.

Sort of annoying a for a community.
    Nera.
    Nera.
    Energetic

Female Posts : 7078

Post by Nera. June 9th 2012, 8:16 am

Derri wrote:
    slg wrote:It works when I use IE8. What do you mean by a link takes you to another forum?

Top left. You click on it and a link FMQuery. It used to show the chat version. But now you can edit it out and change the title of your chatbox on FMChat. However the link is still active.

What is the chat you are using? The pop up chat from the tutorials section here?
    Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Post by Derri June 9th 2012, 9:32 am

Nera. wrote:
    Derri wrote:

What is the chat you are using? The pop up chat from the tutorials section here?

Currently we are using the normal chatbox built into FM. We were using the FM chat used from the tutorials here. However we discovered a link in the top left hand corner of the chat so we stopped using the chat for that reason.
    LGforum
    LGforum
    Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2265

Post by LGforum June 9th 2012, 12:44 pm

The FMChat is not the default chat (well it is, but modified) the link was put there by the author as a lot of work has gone into it. The author being from FMQuery. It's odd how you'd stop using a chat just because the author gave themselves the credit they deserve, especially considering its not that obvious. It's essentially their copyrights.

Anyway, no you can't incorporate Ajax chat, or any other chat which requires a database table and/or files being uploaded on the server.
    Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Post by Derri June 9th 2012, 1:26 pm

LGforum wrote:The FMChat is not the default chat (well it is, but modified) the link was put there by the author as a lot of work has gone into it. The author being from FMQuery. It's odd how you'd stop using a chat just because the author gave themselves the credit they deserve, especially considering its not that obvious. It's essentially their copyrights.

Anyway, no you can't incorporate Ajax chat, or any other chat which requires a database table and/or files being uploaded on the server.

I beleive in giving Credit where Credit is due, don't get me wrong LG. The only slight and I mean slight problem is members are acidently clicking on the link and being taken to a forum that they don't want to go to. It is no better than a pop up. I mean they have got a copyright notice in the coding do they not. Most authors are happy with that.

I mean when we had it installed within a few days members had pm-ed us with the fact that they were being lead to another forum if they clicked on the top. So we made a choice to take it down.
    LGforum
    LGforum
    Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2265

Post by LGforum June 9th 2012, 4:18 pm

Yeah I understand that. In a way. I'm wondering why they're clicking the top lol.

Your best option is, if you do like the FMCHat, then you could contact RD, and simply explain your issue. Ask if possible you could hide that link with CSS. I say with CSS because its unlikely he's willing to make edits to the JS just for one forum.

He has copyrights in the code, and copyrights inserted into the head of the page if I recall correctly, plus he's a swell guy, so I'm sure he'll be reasonable with you.
    Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Post by Derri June 9th 2012, 4:46 pm

LGforum wrote:Yeah I understand that. In a way. I'm wondering why they're clicking the top lol.

Your best option is, if you do like the FMCHat, then you could contact RD, and simply explain your issue. Ask if possible you could hide that link with CSS. I say with CSS because its unlikely he's willing to make edits to the JS just for one forum.

He has copyrights in the code, and copyrights inserted into the head of the page if I recall correctly, plus he's a swell guy, so I'm sure he'll be reasonable with you.
    #

Well with that last update we can call the chat what ever we want.

However he did mention that he would not take out the link or make any other changes as when I discovered this and heard the members complain. I contacted him explaining and my reply was pretty much a no. So to prevent members going on about it, we removed it. The only thing we liked was the good option of chat records.