The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Default Gender Profile Options

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More Gender Options

76% 76% 
[ 39 ]
14% 14% 
[ 7 ]
10% 10% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 51

Default Gender Profile Options

Post by Guest on February 12th 2014, 8:49 pm

Hello!

I propose that we should be able to edit the default gender profile field! Currently, if you want to use a custom field, you have to use coding to hide the default field completely and then make a new one with the gender profile options that you desire. However, I think it would far simpler if we did not have to use coding to have this feature, because I believe that it is important to allow more options for gender roles.

I honestly do not believe that the simple terms of "male" or "female" really relates to every person that joins a forum, these days. Many are transgendered, have a different gender identity than their biological identity, and other such situations. I have seen from personal experience how having such limited gender options can really deter members from either joining one's forum or even opening up about themselves on the forum and becoming a bit secluded out of fear of not being accepted into the community due to their "different gender standards."

Additionally, I have had several members choose a profile gender and then decide they do not wish to have their gender known later--but they cannot change it and go back to not having a gender once it has been selected. It would also be extremely helpful if we could make it so that they can have that reverted, or instead, have an "unknown gender/undisclosed gender" option.

I think we should be open to all, welcoming to all, and show it proudly! My forum even has multiple options, which has been welcomed with delight by my members:

Unknown
Male
Female
Transgender
Other

PLEASE Note This Part:
**I am not saying that this option is for everyone, but it should be customizable for those that do want this option and those that do not want these additional features should also be able to keep it as "male" and "female" only to suit their preferences as an admin of their own forums.**

What do you think?

Last edited by Leah7 on April 19th 2014, 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Default Gender Profile Options

Post by -MiSHmaSH- on February 12th 2014, 8:52 pm

I vote yes.

-MiSHmaSH-
Forumember

Male Posts : 267
Language : Latvian

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on February 12th 2014, 9:02 pm

I completely agree Very Happy

We live in a modern society now where things are being more and more accepted. Simple terms such 'male' and 'female' don't apply as strict as they once were.

Leah has made my thoughts perfectly clear and I think we need to have a more diverse gender field in order to welcome everybody and make everyone feel comfortable. I know from some previous forums I was on how gender identity issues can impact on people and it can really mess with their heads. Many people now-a-days actually come to terms with their gender online and I therefore would really welcome this implementation.

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel on February 13th 2014, 1:00 am

Voted yes ! Thanks for sharing this great idea Leah7 Smile

Darkel
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2128
Language : English, Tagalog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on February 13th 2014, 5:35 pm

Bump!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak on February 13th 2014, 5:51 pm

Completely agree and understand the point hmm.. Voted Yes

Rhino.Freak
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1243
Language : English

http://freetest.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by iyaaz on February 13th 2014, 6:33 pm

agree and also voted yes

iyaaz
Forumember

Male Posts : 350

http://iyaaz.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on February 13th 2014, 7:41 pm

I also believe there should be a way to edit the gender field.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35677

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ange Tuteur on February 15th 2014, 10:19 am

Being able to edit this field would be great as it will eliminate the need for unnecessary coding, if the forum Admin wants to hide the default field completely because they made a new Gender field. Most forums usually contain three choices :

Unspecified
Male
Female

Including those by default would be great.

Ange Tuteur
Forumaster

Male Posts : 13021
Language : EN10, FR5

http://fmdesign.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on February 15th 2014, 7:48 pm

Thank you for your votes, everyone!

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on February 15th 2014, 8:32 pm

Thanks for voting guys Very Happy

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on February 22nd 2014, 2:56 am

Bump. ^.^

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on February 22nd 2014, 3:06 am

I would not mind if more options were added to the default gender field.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35677

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on February 24th 2014, 6:34 pm

Bump!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Selvester on February 24th 2014, 7:05 pm

Great suggestion Leah! Has my vote! (:

Selvester
Forumember

Female Posts : 255
Language : English, French (little bit)

http://rp-central.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizza Boi on February 24th 2014, 7:15 pm

Hi Very Happy

I voted "Yes", simply because Gender and Sex are different Smile. Sex can be classified to the physiological composition of a person such as their gametes and genitalia along with their secondary sex cell features. Gender, on the other hand, can be the general term used for a person's, "Orientation", so limiting gender to the so-called "Male" and "Female" would be inappropriate unless you completely change Gender to Sex Smile.

Source of Knowledge: Lecture in Psychology.
Credit given to: Sir Edgie.

Regards,
Pizza Boi

Pizza Boi
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2016
Language : French

http://redlustempire.forumtl.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiyomizu on February 26th 2014, 5:11 pm

Hello,

I voted yes Very Happy

Thanks

Kiyomizu
Forumember

Male Posts : 201
Language : French and English

http://forum.sosblog.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by Naki on March 1st 2014, 10:32 pm

My vote Yes

Naki
Forumember

Male Posts : 174
Language : Albanian, English, Croatian, Polish

http://naki.newdiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SerahNoel on March 2nd 2014, 1:57 am

My vote is maybe. I completely agree with the fact that it should not be difficult to add more options to the field. I also agree there should be an unspecified option.

However, I personally do not feel like transgender is a field I would want on my forum. I completely understand that people feel that way, however I may have some people on my forum offended if such a field is present. I think that the forum owners should decide which options they would like shown if there are any. I don't allow my members to engage in controversial topics, just to keep the peace. I own a roleplay forum, not a debate club. I consider transgender one of those debated topics. I don't want a provoking option to be available through an update to find out I can not erase it. Please understand that some people like me may not want such options due to similar reasons. That is why I would advocate an easier way to add options instead of completely updating the field on every forum.

SerahNoel
Forumember

Language : English, and some basic Spanish

http://usaroleplayers.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on April 15th 2014, 8:04 am

Thanks for your votes, everyone! I hope we can get more voters!!

Back to top Go down

Post by DangerZone on April 18th 2014, 9:31 pm

Believing that there is, as of now, only a "female" and "male" option, I am conflicted. At one point I *do* believe that you are either male or female, since your sex is a fact and not something your can decide for yourself (after all you ARE either a man or a woman; what your head thinks, is a totally different matter (also I am aware that gender≠sex, but why would we make forums political like that?)). However I would not mind, if the option of "other" was added to the list, since there are those who a) are born without an actual gender, b) are those who refuse to accept their gender, and c) are those who are conflicted. And I want to respect all those people; therefore I wouldn't mind adding an "other"-field (assuming it is not already there). However I do not believe anymore than that is needed. For example: the 58 gender-list facebook made? That is just silly. Saying your neither man nor woman is acceptable, but saying "trans* female" (not to be confused with "transgender female", "trans female", "trans person" or "transfeminine")... that's just silly.

Honestly I don't care what people believe they are - it's great that we can all be different, and I don't think less of those, who chose to be something else. However I don't think it's appropriate to make a list with - what would then in the end be - 58 different suggestions as to *what* you are!

I voted no. I should probably say "maybe" but this is a topic that will never end. First we add 5 new genders, then someone will say "oh but 'cis' isn't on the list" and then later "oh but 'cisgender' isn't on the list!" -- It would never stop. I don't want to have to scroll through the Neverending Story just to select "YES I WAS BORN A FEMALE AND I HAVE ACCEPTED THAT". Therefore no.

Male, female or other. That is what I would prefer. The list would just get too long.

DangerZone
Forumember

Female Posts : 27
Language : .

http://downuptown.danskforum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on April 18th 2014, 10:54 pm

^ Thanks for your opinion, DangerZone, I'd never heard of it put that way. =) I appreciate your vote, though I hope you understand that I wasn't asking for a long list, as you imply in your post.

I'm not asking for more options in the gender profile field. What I'm asking for is the ability to customize/change it. That is all. That way, if an admin wants 58 gender fields, they can do so. But, if they simply want only male and female, they can do that, too.

In other words, I believe that all forums should have the freedom in determining whether or not they want multiple options for their forum or not. I am not asking for all Forumotion forums to have longer lists or more than just "male" and "female" options. Simply put, I want the freedom to change it. Just want to make sure you understand what I'm asking for.

Thanks for voting!

Back to top Go down

Post by TheShaka on April 18th 2014, 11:26 pm

Nah sorry What the fuck ?!?
Male and Female, No need more options...
If you are male and you think you are female this is fking crazy...
I Voted NO because i don't like this idea, and here is more better things to do than this mwii

TheShaka
Forumember

Male Posts : 413
Language : polish

http://seiya.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by levy on April 18th 2014, 11:35 pm

I like the idea, it's ideal for RPG forums, for Monsters and you don't need to create other fields for race.
My vote is YES.

levy
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2566
Language : Romanian, English
Location : Romania | Feel free to tag me into your topic if you have a problem

http://help.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DangerZone on April 19th 2014, 9:14 pm

@Leah7 wrote:^ Thanks for your opinion, DangerZone, I'd never heard of it put that way. =) I appreciate your vote, though I hope you understand that I wasn't asking for a long list, as you imply in your post.

I'm not asking for more options in the gender profile field. What I'm asking for is the ability to customize/change it. That is all. That way, if an admin wants 58 gender fields, they can do so. But, if they simply want only male and female, they can do that, too.

In other words, I believe that all forums should have the freedom in determining whether or not they want multiple options for their forum or not. I am not asking for all Forumotion forums to have longer lists or more than just "male" and "female" options. Simply put, I want the freedom to change it. Just want to make sure you understand what I'm asking for.

Thanks for voting!

Ah, I see, so every admin would be able to type in the default "values" that the users can choose between? I suppose that makes more sense and is - in my opinion - more acceptable SmileIf I could, I would probably change my vote to either "maybe" or "yes". As long as it wouldn't cause inconvenience for those, who do not want to create/edit the list. So maybe a way to check yes/no to a "do you want to use the default gender-options"-field. Then if you check "no", you get the chance to generate your own dropdown field-values. Or something... I guess that would make sense.

DangerZone
Forumember

Female Posts : 27
Language : .

http://downuptown.danskforum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizza Boi on May 8th 2014, 8:22 am

Hi Very Happy

Please have this implemented soon as well~, oh and vote 'Yes!' Hehe.

Regards,
Pizza Boi

Pizza Boi
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2016
Language : French

http://redlustempire.forumtl.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on August 18th 2014, 7:06 pm

Bump Very Happy

For those who have voted no please explain why so we can see all inputs.

Very Happy

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelaHolmes on August 18th 2014, 8:09 pm

@Derri wrote:Bump Very Happy

For those who have voted no please explain why so we can see all inputs.

Very Happy

Thanks Derri for the bump that was very useful lets get this feature going! Smile

Voted YES

AngelaHolmes
Forumember

Male Posts : 203

http://Help.Forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinzPost on August 19th 2014, 1:45 am

I LOOVE this idea, thank you for posting.

I think we should also have the option to have a box under "other" where you can input what pronouns you'd like people to use.
I'm an agender myself, and prefer if people used "they, them, etc." However I know a few other agendered people who prefer pronouns like "ze, zem, etc."

Even if you don't personally believe in more than the binary genders, please remember that some do, and we should be accepting of their beliefs :3

KinzPost
Forumember

http://entertheforest.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on September 25th 2015, 5:13 am

Bump ^^

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: