The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

User Bypassed Admin Activation Requirement

2 posters

Go down

activation - User Bypassed Admin Activation Requirement Empty User Bypassed Admin Activation Requirement

Post by Agenda November 1st 2009, 4:21 pm

Hello,

When I logged into my admin panel yesterday I noticed something disturbing. The "recent members" panel only shows new accounts that have been recently activated (either by the user or by an admin). I am the only active admin on my forum (the other guy is far too busy and I know him in real life, he's hardly a computer guy). I saw that a new username has shown up. I reviewed the user's profile and he/she filled in the required fields upon registration as requested. No harm there. But the problem is that her name was in that panel. I have my forum set up to where I or another admin must activate accounts before they can log in.

This new user's account came up as "Active", and I became concerned because I had never activated this user's account prior to me noticing that they had even registered. Could this be a glitch caused by the recent upgrades? If so, can it be resolved?

The user is legitament, I know them personally like my co-administrator. But its frightening to see that my forum's security isn't as "secure" as I thought it was. Prior to these recent changes, other users have had to wait for my activation of their accounts just like I planned. So a change has happened somewhere along the line. My settings are still set to "Admin" in the account activation settings, so that itself has not changed, which suggests that this is an internal problem.

If you need a link to my website I will provide it through PM.
Agenda
Agenda
Forumember

Male Posts : 172
Language : English

Back to top Go down

activation - User Bypassed Admin Activation Requirement Empty Re: User Bypassed Admin Activation Requirement

Post by Sanket November 1st 2009, 6:20 pm

One more user has faced a similar problem.
https://help.forumotion.com/need-of-a-technician-f3/urgent-forum-security-compromised-or-serious-bug-t57307.htm#374487

Also, i have left a message for Typlo. Tomorrow he will take a look at it probably, since he does not work on weekends.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

activation - User Bypassed Admin Activation Requirement Empty Re: User Bypassed Admin Activation Requirement

Post by Agenda November 1st 2009, 7:37 pm

Appreciate the speedy response, Sanket. I look forward to Typlo's investigation. Smile
Agenda
Agenda
Forumember

Male Posts : 172

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket November 2nd 2009, 3:41 pm

Typlo has forwarded the issue to the tech's, they will be looking into this Wink
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down