Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
+55
Derri
Captain Hunk
Jophy
Festina Lente
anthonyHobbs
tazbazuk
Fender
musket
Dr Jay
FIB
Bangernomics
Beastly
Bully
Shakespeare
RSguideMaker
The GreeK
runawayhorses
Jellydonut
WHITESABBATH
Jakeb
Marvin
angels77
Flappypaddles
advantage
Adam360
Edgar "Fear" Delgado
Empire_1
Irian
SLGray
!_NICK_!
bluehnvn
hoodedwarbler12
lenwick
Maki1
Matei
xsdenied
Renetona
kraja29
Naki
YanOri
KingOfSports
Ape
Count Dooku
oliverio
Darren1
that70sguy92
Leaf
karkooshy
Spuddie978
StoneRaven
Caihlem
Master Marc
MrMario
Dumbledore27
SophieDophs
59 posters

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Poll

Forumotion to log User IPs at the time of their registration and include this info in the email that's sent to site Administrators

[ 135 ]
    Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Bar_left92%Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Bar_right [92%] 
    [ 11 ]
    Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Bar_left8%Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Bar_right [8%] 

Total Votes: 146
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Female Posts : 375
    Language : English

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Empty Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

At the moment, when users register an account, the only way to see their IP address is (a) if they have already posted on the forum or (b) in the ACP, but you may not always be online at the same time as them so this method is not very effective.

What we need is the user IP address to be logged by forumotion at the time of their registration and this info to included in the email that's already sent to site administrators.

It's not that difficult to implement!

EDIT: Can I just make this clear... what we are asking for is not for the
    individual member to submit their IP during registration, but for
    Forumotion to GIVE us this information.

Last edited by SophieDophs on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:15 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional info for clarity)
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:13 pm

oliverio wrote:What the hell...

I vote yes too! lol!
    Thank you! Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Empty Re: Forumotion to Include IP on registration email

Post by SophieDophs Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:16 am

Bump
    Spuddie978
    Forumember

Male Posts : 126

Post by Spuddie978 Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:35 am

This will also stop hacker and spammers
    Leaf
    Leaf
    Forumember

Male Posts : 381

Post by Leaf Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 am

Spuddie978 wrote:This will also stop hacker and spammers

It just keeps a record of the IP address the member registered with.
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:15 am

Bump
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:07 am

Thanks for voting everyone. Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

It would be great if we could get even more votes this weekend.
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:24 am

BUMP
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:18 am

Anyone know how many votes a suggestion needs before the techs take a look at it?

Thanks.
    Naki
    Naki
    Forumember

Male Posts : 175
    Language : Albanian, English, Croatian, Polish

Post by Naki Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:52 am

Vote Yes, even here are many possibilities that user can make his/her ip anonymouse or different one and then this also will not help a lot.
    In general good idea
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:14 am

Thanks Naki.
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:41 am

BUMP
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Bumpity bump Very Happy
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 am

Hello More votes please.
    kraja29

Post by kraja29 Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:22 pm

Very good Voted yes too
    Renetona
    Renetona

Female Posts : 20
    Language : English, Japanese (minor), Spanish (minor)

Post by Renetona Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:42 am

I actually do agree. Silly me at first for making another topic related to this which Sanket pointed out (oops! Rolling Eyes )

Well, my reason is because of keeping an eye out for a certain hellhound and a traitor who already stolen a forum or two from me by using someone to do such along with humiliating me everywhere I've gone, one bastard who's name is not even worth mentioning with a gang behind him. He still somehow managed to slither into my new and much better forum from here and started even more trouble once again and tried to two days in a row, but was banned; however, now that there are a lot of "new users" seeming to want to register, I am very much worried and have no idea if the 300+ non-posting members who have appeared are new people or are more of his "drones" used to leech data from my forum, so I do hope to see this feature added soon, especially since I know which location he is from via IP mapping systems in a few other forums which aren't as popular as the one from Forumotion.

The 'other corporation' already blatantly let that cyber-criminal walk away laughing with two of my forums for over five years and never did anything to stop or punish him, or even delete the stolen goods at least, I do not want him near any of my replacement sites, and especially my best forum from this network ever again.
    xsdenied
    Forumember

Male Posts : 37

Post by xsdenied Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:47 am

@Those who think it is pointless to be preemptive:
    Go read the "Art of War" by "Sun Tzu" its only a few thousand years old so shouldn't be hard to find.

@Those who think its impossible to be preemptive given Dynamic IPs:
    Go learn about Zero Day threats.

@Those who think its possible to be preemptive but hard to know which IPs to ban:
    go check out http://stopforumspam.com/

@Everyone else:
    Yeah my forums is getting spammed by well known spammers and though the staff is able to root them out and lock/delete the posts fairly quickly its always better to be able to be preemptive.

YES
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks for your votes everyone.

BUMP
    Matei
    Matei
    Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2973
    Language : Romanian (10), English (8), * CSS Stylessheet | HTML *
    Location : Romania | Please do not send me pm`s for support or graphic requests, I just ignore them.

Post by Matei Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:51 am

SophieDophs wrote:Thanks guys.

Having the IP provided on registration also helps if we have members that have registered on our forums but have never posted. These could be duplicate accounts for all we know.

Having their IP address provided automatically at the start will allow us to check and will improve forum security I reckon.

I agree. Voted "Yes".
    Maki1
    Maki1
    Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2529
    Language : English »» CSS Stylesheet
    Location : The » Support » forum » Section! • No support by PM If you need custom theme please contact me!

Post by Maki1 Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:56 am

Sorry, but I vote no on this cuz I always stay away from those forums who need those kind of info.
    lenwick
    lenwick
    Forumember

Male Posts : 29
    Language : english

Post by lenwick Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:33 am

What i do on my forum to keep the trouble makers of is limit membership to local emails from a internet provider.Since this rule has been in the problems have stopped and we still get members
    hoodedwarbler12
    hoodedwarbler12
    Forumember

Male Posts : 521
    Language : English, Latin, HTML, JavaScript

Post by hoodedwarbler12 Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:35 am

My IP changes each time I turn off my computer. This wouldn't work for me.
    bluehnvn
    bluehnvn
    Forumember

Male Posts : 30
    Language : vietnamese

Post by bluehnvn Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:02 am

oh very good, like it, vote Very Happy
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks for your votes everyone.
    lenwick
    lenwick
    Forumember

Male Posts : 29
    Language : english

Post by lenwick Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:23 pm

yes good idea
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:12 pm

~ BUMP ~
    !_NICK_!
    !_NICK_!
    Active Poster

Male Posts : 1505
    Language : English, HTML, and CSS

Post by !_NICK_! Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:33 pm

SophieDophs wrote:At the moment, when users register an account, the only way to see their IP address is (a) if they have already posted on the forum or (b) in the ACP, but you may not always be online at the same time as them so this method is not very effective.

What we need is the user IP address to be logged at the time of their registration and this info to included in the email that's already sent to site administrators.

It's not that difficult to implement!

I agree 100%. I was going to make a suggestion like this, but I seen this. I have thought about switching to Vbulletin because of this.
    hoodedwarbler12
    hoodedwarbler12
    Forumember

Male Posts : 521
    Language : English, Latin, HTML, JavaScript

Post by hoodedwarbler12 Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Did anyone see my post? My IP address changes with each new connection!
    !_NICK_!
    !_NICK_!
    Active Poster

Male Posts : 1505
    Language : English, HTML, and CSS

Post by !_NICK_! Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:58 pm

This feature would still be for good uses.
    SophieDophs
    SophieDophs
    Forumember

Post by SophieDophs Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:42 am

Still need more votes... Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Hello
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51520

Post by SLGray Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:11 pm

My vote: A big Yes. Great idea!

Forumotion to Include IP on registration email - Page 2 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.