The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing Footer/ Free Forum Etc. $$$

+3
Agent24
Harperboy326
RealPvP
7 posters

Go down

footer - Removing Footer/ Free Forum Etc. $$$ Empty Removing Footer/ Free Forum Etc. $$$

Post by RealPvP Tue 11 Jan - 21:53

Hey my forum is a phpbb3 and the current footer is

Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Statistics | Contribution | Report an abuse

I wan't it to look like

Fueled by Forumotion | © phpBB | Free Forum support | Report an abuse

I know it's possible because geekpolice.net have done it

Last edited by RealPvP on Thu 13 Jan - 15:50; edited 1 time in total
RealPvP
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

footer - Removing Footer/ Free Forum Etc. $$$ Empty Re: Removing Footer/ Free Forum Etc. $$$

Post by Harperboy326 Tue 11 Jan - 21:54

If you remove them, you are breaking Forumotions ToS and they have the right to shutdown your forum. The links are to be left alone. If you know template editing, you can add links, but not remove them.
Harperboy326
Harperboy326
Forumember

Male Posts : 753

http://www.ThatTechKid.com

Back to top Go down

footer - Removing Footer/ Free Forum Etc. $$$ Empty Re: Removing Footer/ Free Forum Etc. $$$

Post by RealPvP Tue 11 Jan - 21:59

How can I add links?
RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent24 Tue 11 Jan - 22:03

You can if you have pun or phpbb2 via templates...general // overall_footer
You can look at this thread for more details about the footer
https://help.forumotion.com/t84046-footer
Agent24
Agent24
Forumember

Male Posts : 813
Language : English, Spanish

Back to top Go down

Post by RealPvP Wed 12 Jan - 5:48

Bump
RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent24 Wed 12 Jan - 9:46

You didn't see this?
Agent24 wrote:You can if you have pun or phpbb2 via templates...general // overall_footer
You can look at this thread for more details about the footer
https://help.forumotion.com/t84046-footer
Agent24
Agent24
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by RealPvP Wed 12 Jan - 14:03

Forum is phpbb3, so how can I change the footer?
RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Saxaca Wed 12 Jan - 14:16

Change.. Not allowed Wink
Would you be intrested in adding links?
Saxaca
Saxaca
Forumember

Male Posts : 539
Language : Markup.

Back to top Go down

Post by RealPvP Wed 12 Jan - 19:48

Yeah how can I add links
RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent24 Wed 12 Jan - 21:29

I don't think it would be possible. Confused
Agent24
Agent24
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by RealPvP Wed 12 Jan - 21:52

So why did she offer to tell me how?
RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket Thu 13 Jan - 2:49

Bottomline is you are not allowed to edit the footer Smile
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by RealPvP Thu 13 Jan - 15:52

Not even with this

Fueled by Forumotion | © phpBB | Free Forum support | Report an abuse

Cause if so than why isnt geekpolice shut down?

RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy Thu 13 Jan - 18:46

I think you can edit them as long as you won't remove any links from the footer.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by RealPvP Thu 13 Jan - 19:07

Thats what i said..
RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by RealPvP Fri 14 Jan - 16:00

bump.
RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jan - 16:51

You can remove :

1/ Statistics. -> ACP > General > Statistics > Forum statistics
Who is allowed to view the statistics online ? -> Administrators.

2/ Contribution. -> ACP > Misc > Credits management > Donations
Display the link to the donation page on page footer ? -> No

3/ Contact. -> ACP > General > Messages and Emails > Emails and contact form
Activate ? -> No

You can hide :
- Home
Add this to your css :
.footer-home {visibility: hidden;}

All other links must remain there.

Back to top Go down

Post by RealPvP Fri 14 Jan - 20:51

So why did geekpolice change theirs yet their not shutdown?
RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jan - 21:36

You can also remove the PunBB copyright since its server code is phpBB2-based and its DOM came from a phpBB2 template. Actually it could be argued that the phpBB copyright should be on every board...

The OP's point is a valid one, however. By allowing Geek Police to operate with its non-conforming footer, forumotion has opened the door for anyone with an English-language forum to change their footer to look like the one on Geek Police. The legal term is precedent. If eToxic removed an English-language forum due to a non-conforming footer, they risk being sued, especially if the forum was generating any form of revenue for its owner. I'm sure that's why I've never heard of a single forum being removed due to a non-conforming footer. Now, if you delete the footer...that's another story. One would have to be a moron to not maintain a link back to forumotion.com!

I personally don't care whether the footer is there or not. Most people ignore it anyway...

Back to top Go down

Post by RealPvP Sat 15 Jan - 0:44

I agree with your point but the thing is no-one answers my question as to why they were " allowed " to do so. And as to how you do so is the true question.
Their should be an easier way to edit the footer on phpbb3 as their is to PunBB
RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Jan - 15:25

RealPvP wrote:but the thing is no-one answers my question as to why they were " allowed " to do so. And as to how you do so is the true question.

Where did you see it was allowed ?
It's not because some boards remove or edit legal stuff, that it means it is allowed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Jan - 18:26

RealPvP wrote:I agree with your point but the thing is no-one answers my question as to why they were " allowed " to do so. And as to how you do so is the true question.
Geek Police may have been "allowed" because the "no edit" rule may not have been in the Terms Of Servce when the forum was created. Since forumotion does not send individual "opt-out" notices when they change the TOS, by international law the changes do not apply to those who agreed to older versions of the TOS. So Geek Police may be a grandfathered forum of sorts.

But more likely, Geek Police is such a large and well-known forum that forumotion wouldn't dare close it down over such a minor (and honestly stupid) rule. It's really simple. If you create an HTML page as your homepage, all forumotion requires is a link back to forumotion.com. So...as long as that link is ALWAYS in your footer, it's very unlikely forumotion will care what you do to the other footer links.

As for how to edit the footer in phpBB3...it's done with javascript. That's how Geek Police did it, that's how thefacebookforum.net did it, and that's how I would do it if I were going to edit the footer on my boards.

Back to top Go down

Post by RealPvP Sun 16 Jan - 21:59

The question is how do you do it?
RealPvP
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jan - 13:27

The answer is in red in the Terms Of Service

Terms Of Service :

Do you think anyone here will tell you how to break rules you accepted when you created your forum ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent24 Mon 17 Jan - 13:37

I think he is asking how you can put more links in the footer?
Agent24
Agent24
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jan - 16:17

AoF-Neptune wrote:The answer is in red in the Terms Of Service

Do you think anyone here will tell you how to break rules you accepted when you created your forum ?
There are many things wrong with what you stated. First, nowhere in the Terms Of Service does it state that a forum will be removed if the footer is removed -- it only states that a warning will be given. Second, the TOS is poorly-translated -- its meaning is different than the original French TOS in ways that may well legally invalidate the English TOS. And third, read what I said above...even if forumotion changed the TOS to correct these flaws, the fact that they do not send "opt-out" notices to current forum owners means that current owners abide by the TOS in force when they created the forum. Since the current TOS does not call for a forum to be removed if the footer is modified...

And finally, please look at this site: http://www.geekpolice.net

It's been around for a LONG time. Its footer has looked like that for a LONG time. It's been held up as an example of a non-conforming footer for a LONG time. As I also said above, as long as forumotion ignores the non-conforming footer on that forum, their TOS regarding the footer is WORTHLESS.

Just put a link back to forumotion in the footer, and everyone will be happy. Very Happy

To answer the OP's question, you need to use javascript to add footer links on phpBB3 boards. The code would be of the form:

Code:
$(function(){$('#page-footer li.rightside').prepend('NEW LINK HTML');});
Note to eToxic techs: How about using the web-standard "SELECT ALL" text in the codebox? And...are you aware that the subBlue selectCode() function has a bug in it that inserts spaces at the beginning of lines in Firefox, Opera, and Safari?

Back to top Go down

Post by Suuki Wed 19 Jan - 22:46

??? how do you add images and pictures to the footer, and where can I edit the javascript?
Suuki
Suuki
Forumember

Language : English, Japanese (learning lots) :3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Jan - 23:32

You might want to start your own topic...

Hey! I like this! lol!   :wouhou:  

When did these BBcodes get avtivated?

Back to top Go down