The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
+2
MrMario
MotorCookie
6 posters

Do you think my forumotion forum can handle about 200,000 members?

MotorCookie
    MotorCookie
    Forumember

Male Posts : 113
    Language : English

Solved Do you think my forumotion forum can handle about 200,000 members?

Post by MotorCookie Wed 16 Nov - 2:04

I am considering transferring my SMF forum members to my forumotion forum. I am just wondering can my forumotion forum contain 200,000 members or will the server be crashing like many others?
    MrMario
    MrMario
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 22186
    Language : test

Solved Re: Do you think my forumotion forum can handle about 200,000 members?

Post by MrMario Wed 16 Nov - 2:06

Hello,

No it won't.
    MotorCookie
    MotorCookie
    Forumember

Post by MotorCookie Wed 16 Nov - 2:50

MrMario wrote:Hello,

No it won't.

No I can't transfer members or no the server won't crash?
    !_NICK_!
    !_NICK_!
    Active Poster

Male Posts : 1505
    Language : English, HTML, and CSS

Post by !_NICK_! Wed 16 Nov - 2:52

You can transfer?
    MrMario
    MrMario
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 22186
    Language : test

Post by MrMario Wed 16 Nov - 2:58

You can't transfer anything to Forumotion.
    MotorCookie
    MotorCookie
    Forumember

Post by MotorCookie Wed 16 Nov - 3:29

MrMario wrote:You can't transfer anything to Forumotion.

No, what I am saying is, all the members on my SMF forum will register on the forumotion forum. And with over 200,000 members I am not sure my forumotion forum can handle it. Can it?

Post by Guest Wed 16 Nov - 4:16

Depends on your forum. I'm aware of a few boards on forumotion with 100,000+ members and they run fine, but all have a fairly simple design with judicious use of images.

Here's one you can check out yourself: http://whatis-theplan.org/forum
    MotorCookie
    MotorCookie
    Forumember

Post by MotorCookie Wed 16 Nov - 4:31

dion wrote:Depends on your forum. I'm aware of a few boards on forumotion with 100,000+ members and they run fine, but all have a fairly simple design with judicious use of images.

Here's one you can check out yourself: http://whatis-theplan.org/forum

Ok thanks a lot! That's all I needed to know. Very Happy

Now that I think of it, I might not send my members to the forumotion forum. I'll see what the other admins say.

Thanks.
    kirk
    kirk
    Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
    Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Post by kirk Wed 16 Nov - 4:31

Well when you exceed all forums limitations you will have to tell us here so thegodfather can up it.

wonder what happens if you hit 4 billion... hahaha see ya in 20 years... lol

Read more here
    https://help.forumotion.com/t1709-some-limits-of-forumotion-forum

MotorCookie
    MotorCookie
    Forumember

Post by MotorCookie Wed 16 Nov - 4:40

kirk wrote:Well when you exceed all forums limitations you will have to tell us here so thegodfather can up it.

wonder what happens if you hit 4 billion... hahaha see ya in 20 years... lol

Read more here
    https://help.forumotion.com/t1709-some-limits-of-forumotion-forum

Well I doubt I'll ever reach the billions, but let's say I do hit 4 billion. My forum will then be dead and no one will be able to post anything?
    kirk
    kirk
    Forumaster

Post by kirk Wed 16 Nov - 6:41

i dont know, i am sure if it was to happen forumotion would add more.
    But we will have to wait and see if it ever happens to anyone... lol

i mean thats a pretty insane number, but heck if you have close to half a million members very active posting everyday for like a good 8 9 10 or so years, i'm sure it could be exceeded.. but still.. wow cant even grasp that thought... lol
    MotorCookie
    MotorCookie
    Forumember

Post by MotorCookie Wed 16 Nov - 22:45

kirk wrote:i dont know, i am sure if it was to happen forumotion would add more.
    But we will have to wait and see if it ever happens to anyone... lol

i mean thats a pretty insane number, but heck if you have close to half a million members very active posting everyday for like a good 8 9 10 or so years, i'm sure it could be exceeded.. but still.. wow cant even grasp that thought... lol

Haha, yeah! But, as in members, do I have a limit to members?
    Suuki
    Suuki
    Forumember

Language : English, Japanese (learning lots) :3

Post by Suuki Wed 16 Nov - 22:55

Forumotion has 68994 members, you have 200,000 members? This must be one popular forum.
    MotorCookie
    MotorCookie
    Forumember

Post by MotorCookie Thu 17 Nov - 2:23

Suuki wrote:Forumotion has 68994 members, you have 200,000 members? This must be one popular forum.

But not in my forumotion forum. The other admins and me are considering moving all 200,000 members to the forumotion forum for an easier way to access the admin panel and change any others.
    kirk
    kirk
    Forumaster

Post by kirk Thu 17 Nov - 2:54

well the question has been answered, it dont matter how many members you have it's the limitations you have to worry about, so when and if you exceed them, then thats when you come back here and we send it off to a pro admin to up it. And forumotion has people that have forums through out the world, thousands of forums with thousands upon thousands of members within forumotions forums, along with 12 official support forums in 12 different languages, so as far as can the servers handle it.. yes, it would be no different then any other forumotion forum

But honestly, having that many members i think you should consider going with a paid board, and something like Leaseweb that can provide you with all the services you would need.

Or build your own server???

anyway anymore questions before i mark and lock this?

MotorCookie
    MotorCookie
    Forumember

Post by MotorCookie Thu 17 Nov - 3:11

kirk wrote:well the question has been answered, it dont matter how many members you have it's the limitations you have to worry about, so when and if you exceed them, then thats when you come back here and we send it off to a pro admin to up it. And forumotion has people that have forums through out the world, thousands of forums with thousands upon thousands of members within forumotions forums, along with 12 official support forums in 12 different languages, so as far as can the servers handle it.. yes, it would be no different then any other forumotion forum

But honestly, having that many members i think you should consider going with a paid board, and something like Leaseweb that can provide you with all the services you would need.

Or build your own server???

anyway anymore questions before i mark and lock this?

Ok thanks. We went with vBulletin, but as of now, we use these hosts for easier access to certain features. In due time we will go back to vBulletin or maybe another paid forum software.

Thanks Very Happy
    Jophy
    Jophy
    ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17922

Post by Jophy Thu 17 Nov - 11:36

Solved ** Moved

Current date/time is Sun 22 Sep - 17:38