The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
2 posters

Forum threatening to sue me

anons22

Language : english

Solved Forum threatening to sue me

Post by anons22 July 27th 2012, 1:06 am

There's this forum called http://popoverdose.com that threatened to sue my forum http://www.oceansshore.com/ because we stole some images from there. They asked us and we followed their orders, changing the whole website to be brand new. It looks nothing like theirs anymore. All of the things we used are original. They keep coming back and harassing us and threatening to report us to get our site deleted just because they say our userbars are similar to theirs. They're saying that the colors and words used on the ranks are a copy of theirs. They want to shut us down just because of that. But we didn't steal anything. We got the bars from a thread on forumotion https://help.forumotion.com/t77802-candy-color-userbars Can my site really be sued and shut down just for that? They don't own colors or words. I didn't know where to put this thread so..
    Legend™
    Legend™
    Forumember

Male Posts : 548
    Language : Javascript, CSS, English

Solved Re: Forum threatening to sue me

Post by Legend™ July 27th 2012, 1:09 am

They cant sue you so don't worry on that. They can file a litigation on your forum but that is only a request to remove anything that you have stolen from them. If you got the images from here then they can't do anything about it
    anons22

Post by anons22 July 27th 2012, 1:13 am

Legend™ wrote:They cant sue you so don't worry on that. They can file a litigation on your forum but that is only a request to remove anything that you have stolen from them. If you got the images from here then they can't do anything about it
    thanks. But they say they have all our emails and IP addresses cause we've signed up on their site. They say they would release all our personal info and stuff. Could that be possible too?
    Legend™
    Legend™
    Forumember

Post by Legend™ July 27th 2012, 1:18 am

Just because they have your emails & ip's doesn't mean that your personal information will be given away as people would have to hack into your accounts to be able to get any information out.

And if they did then they can get in trouble for giving away personal information over the internet without the owners consent.
    Legend™
    Legend™
    Forumember

Post by Legend™ July 27th 2012, 1:28 am

Rideem3 wrote:That's not completely true. In the real world, copyright infringement is a serious crime and is eligible for court if not taken down immediately. Wink

Is this solved?

Woops! Sorry Rideem3, guess I forgot about that. But if the images are from the gallery of the support forum then I don't think that they can get in trouble for that? Correct me if I am mistaken
    anons22

Post by anons22 July 27th 2012, 1:34 am

What if they constantly keep coming back and harassing us? Could we report them to forumotion or something?
    Legend™
    Legend™
    Forumember

Post by Legend™ July 27th 2012, 1:36 am

anons22 wrote:What if they constantly keep coming back and harassing us? Could we report them to forumotion or something?

I am not fully sure about that. The staff may have an answer for that though.
    anons22

Post by anons22 July 27th 2012, 1:45 am

We took the base from forumotion and added the text with a new font and everything. And they say we're still copying. an example:

Ours:
    Forum threatening to sue me T7WmZ

theirs:
    Forum threatening to sue me Vip4badbitch
    Forum threatening to sue me L8TNF
    Legend™
    Legend™
    Forumember

Post by Legend™ July 27th 2012, 1:47 am

Well if you made them in your own way then it is fine but if you took theirs and edited it a bit then that can get you in trouble.
    anons22

Post by anons22 July 27th 2012, 1:50 am

Okay, thanks for the help. I guess this is solved.

Current date/time is September 22nd 2024, 5:28 am