External Domain problems Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
3 posters

External Domain problems

GeorgeCusterd
    Forumember

Male Posts : 48
    Language : English

Solved External Domain problems

Post by GeorgeCusterd December 11th 2012, 4:20 am

Hi,

This is my site: www.13thmeu.forumn.org

A little under 2 years ago (Feb 2011), my staff bought the domain name: "13thmeu.net." We had trouble with this daily: https://help.forumotion.com/t86890-domain-stops-functioningdaily

Approximately every 24 hours the domain would "stop working" and redirect to a page like this: https://www.forumotion.com/en/search/www.13thmeu.net

I thought this would have gone away but the same problem is appearing, now that I bought the domain name: "13thmarines.net"

I made the CNAME and did all that stuff, same thing was happening as it is now.

In that other topic I was about 99% sure I knew what the problem was, I just can't really fix it--I limited it down to the automatic daily backups that happen in 24 hour increments, because the domain name goes down between 9-10 PM EST each night.

I am asking for help in either of the following:
    -To disable the automatic backups for my site
    -To give me guidance on how to retrieve my founder password (the email I think I used for the founder account has purged all but the last 72 emails of thousands that were in there Sad )
    -Or any other help that might help/may not be related to this and work

Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks
    GC
    Shadow
    Shadow
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 16208
    Language : French, English

Solved Re: External Domain problems

Post by Shadow December 11th 2012, 10:21 am

Hello,

No it has nothing to do with backups.

But yes, the system updates domain name informations every day.
    I've no trace of this domain name, that's an external one ?
    GeorgeCusterd
    Forumember

Post by GeorgeCusterd December 13th 2012, 3:53 am

Yes, an external one. I don't know, I haven't always had these problems.

13thmeu.org was a domain we somehow got for free from forumotion late 2009. That lasted a year and then one of our guys bought the 13thmeu.org domain 45 days later on a different site and used it externally with this site--it worked then.

So the .org ended the first time in November 2010, bought new .org dec 2010/jan 2011, then that guy left and we bought a new domain: 13thmeu.net and then that was february 2011 when we started having problems with it (we had problems with day one about this).

Has any problem like this happened for anyone else?

Thank you
    Shadow
    Shadow
    Manager
    Manager

Post by Shadow December 13th 2012, 9:43 am

OK thank you for the historical.

Sometimes, a domain name that you let expired isn't totally dissociated from the forum in our database.
    Now I've fixed the problem.

Please configurate again your external domain name and you shouldn't have this issue again tomorrow Smile
    GeorgeCusterd
    Forumember

Post by GeorgeCusterd December 14th 2012, 3:27 am

Wow! Thank you soooo very much! cheers I'm so unbelievably happy right now! It was something so simple all along!

It may have been past that "daily time" tonight but I'll check back in tomorrow around this time to see if it doesn't reset Smile

Thank you once again!
    GC/thebronxbomber Smile
    GeorgeCusterd
    Forumember

Post by GeorgeCusterd December 16th 2012, 3:30 am

So far no problems, I am so pleased with forumotion currently Smile

Funny thing though, I would like to know would this happen again if I were to change domains?

Actually, I was talking with the guy who had owned the 13thmeu.net domain and he is going to transfer it to my domain registrar after we had discussed everything.

If I was to use 13thmeu.net , might I have problems again with this specific problem--not because of the domain being used, but because of having to disassociate 13thmarines.net (which is currently working now)?

Thanks
    GC/thebronxbomber
    Shadow
    Shadow
    Manager
    Manager

Post by Shadow December 17th 2012, 9:58 am

Hello,

No, this issue happens occasionally when the founder of a forum let his personalized domain name (purchased through Forumotion) expired without taking any action.

It won't happen again Smile

The good news is that we were able to respond quickly to your issue, but with an external domain that won't be the case since we don't have an hand on it. Wink
    GeorgeCusterd
    Forumember

Post by GeorgeCusterd December 18th 2012, 4:17 am

Alright well thank you again Smile

www.13thmeu.net is on its way being transferred over to my current registrar (takes a few days).

All I have to do is do all the CNAME stuff and then delete "13thmarines.net" as the domain in the admin panel and then configure " www.13thmeu.net " as the domain in admin panel?

EDIT: Might I have a problem if I do this with my recently-signed-up-for google analytics/adsense?
    GeorgeCusterd
    Forumember

Post by GeorgeCusterd December 21st 2012, 11:13 pm

So the www.13thmeu.net domain has passed "the test." I put it up against a test to see if it would last against the "10:20" because the latest our domain would ever go down was 10:19 pm.

I am truly pleased with forumotion now, probably more than I have ever been; you really appreciate forumotion after experiencing the hassles of having to do all this other stuff yourself Smile

This topic is solved, but I want to say thank you forumotion for everything! Smile
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51500

Post by SLGray December 21st 2012, 11:43 pm

Topic Solved & Locked

External Domain problems Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.