Permissions - Does Permission to "Moderate" must give permission to "Sticky"? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
+2
Derri
themadmanazn
6 posters

Permissions - Does Permission to "Moderate" must give permission to "Sticky"?

themadmanazn

Language : English

Solved Permissions - Does Permission to "Moderate" must give permission to "Sticky"?

Post by themadmanazn June 16th 2013, 11:28 pm

Hello All, I am a bit new here so please be gentle Very Happy I remember that it use to be that only Admins could sticky, now it seems like anyone who can moderate a specific section of the forum can sticky. Is there a way to make it so only Admins can sticky again?

Under the permissions section the "Create a Sticky Message" is unchecked for everyone except for Admins, but it seems like anyone who has the "Moderate" permission can still make stickies.

Thanks in advance for the help! Very Happy

Last edited by themadmanazn on June 20th 2013, 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
    Derri
    Derri
    Helper
    Helper

Male Posts : 8755
    Language : English & Basic French

Solved Re: Permissions - Does Permission to "Moderate" must give permission to "Sticky"?

Post by Derri June 16th 2013, 11:44 pm

I think you're correct, any one with moderator permissions in that forum will be able to create a sticky,
    themadmanazn

Solved Re: Permissions - Does Permission to "Moderate" must give permission to "Sticky"?

Post by themadmanazn June 16th 2013, 11:48 pm

So there is no way to separate the two permissions? Thats too bad Sad
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Post by Sanket June 17th 2013, 5:30 am

I don't think with moderator capacity you can make a sticky since its a different permission all together.
    themadmanazn

Post by themadmanazn June 17th 2013, 6:03 am

Well, I clearly have "Create a Sticky Message" unchecked for everyone except for admins yet moderators seem to be able to sticky things in the forums they have permission to moderate in.

:/
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Post by Sanket June 17th 2013, 6:05 am

Could you provide me with a test account for your forum with this group access?
    themadmanazn

Post by themadmanazn June 17th 2013, 6:09 am

Sure, so what exact permissions would you like the user to have? Moderator but not sticky?
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Post by Sanket June 17th 2013, 6:13 am

Yes, as you said thats what is the problem Wink
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Post by Sanket June 18th 2013, 11:22 am

I don't see a problem, the user was not able to make a sticky in the General discussion forum. Current events forum was already locked.
    themadmanazn

Post by themadmanazn June 18th 2013, 10:42 pm

It isn't locked for the test_user, it just appears that way. Clicking the "closed" button will still let you make a post and you will see it can make a sticky post in the current events forum.

To clarify, the test_user can only moderate the "current events" forum and thus it can make stickies there despite not having the sticky permission and only the moderate permission.
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Post by Sanket June 19th 2013, 11:24 am

I see, can you give that account admin access?
    Base
    Base
    Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
    Language : English and French

Post by Base June 19th 2013, 11:27 am

Hello,

Giving a user a moderation powers will only allow them to do the following to topics:

=> Lock/unlock
    => Move
    => Delete
    => Basket
    => Split
    => Merge

As far as I know, the sticky itself is an entirely separate permission that can be given if you wish. Smile
    themadmanazn

Post by themadmanazn June 19th 2013, 5:41 pm

This use to be the case, yes, but it seems like recently it has changed. I made a test user to test this and it seems like moderation now includes sticky.
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Post by Sanket June 19th 2013, 5:53 pm

Sanket wrote:I see, can you give that account admin access?

?
    themadmanazn

Post by themadmanazn June 19th 2013, 5:56 pm

Sorry, I didn't see that post. It has been done.
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Post by Sanket June 19th 2013, 6:03 pm

Can you add me back to that original group? I have un-admined myself.
    Sandara
    Sandara
    Forumember

Female Posts : 106
    Language : English, Filipino

Post by Sandara June 19th 2013, 6:18 pm

I tried making a new group where the moderators will be placed in my sample forum. It shows that when you put "Moderate" in the basic permissions of the category, save it and then click on the advanced later on, you'll see that even if the group has moderator powers, the boxes for sticky and special messages are not ticked, meaning that the created moderator group when given moderator powers will not include special / sticky messages. 

What I'm trying to point out here is make another group for the moderators, and then change the permissions.

If you want to give or withdraw a group permission to sticky / special messages, go to General > Categories and Forums > Then click on the permissions of the forum you want > Advanced Mode.

Hope that helps.
    themadmanazn

Post by themadmanazn June 19th 2013, 7:04 pm

Sanket - Done

Sandara > I understand the sticky permission is not checked, but anyone with the moderator permission seems to be able to make stickies regardless if their sticky permission is checked or not.

Last edited by themadmanazn on June 19th 2013, 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    themadmanazn

Post by themadmanazn June 19th 2013, 7:05 pm

Sandara > I understand the sticky permission is not checked, but anyone with the moderator permission seems to be able to make stickies regardless if their sticky permission is checked or not.
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Post by Sanket June 19th 2013, 7:52 pm

Please don't double/triple post. Your post need to be separated by 24 hours before bumping, replying or adding more information. Please use the edit button instead!
    Check it now, it seems fixed.
    themadmanazn

Post by themadmanazn June 19th 2013, 11:55 pm

Sorry about the double post, feel free to delete the second post (I couldn't figure out how to delete it myself).

What did you do to fix it? Was there a hidden permission some where? (I do see it is fixed but I would like to know what went wrong and how to fix it in the future).
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Post by Sanket June 20th 2013, 5:09 am

Went in the advanced mode on permissions. Under the sticky creation, checked it for members & then unchecked it & then hit save. Wink

Solved?
    themadmanazn

Post by themadmanazn June 20th 2013, 5:59 am

Well thats irritating... so I need to do that for each forum >.<

Thanks for all the help!
    Sanket
    Sanket
    ForumGuru

Post by Sanket June 20th 2013, 6:05 am

Not really, it should not be a problem.

Solved?
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51553

Post by SLGray June 20th 2013, 5:52 pm

Topic Solved & Locked

Permissions - Does Permission to "Moderate" must give permission to "Sticky"? Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.