Problems with members registering Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2 posters

Problems with members registering

Robin1966
    Forumember

Language : Enlgish

In progress Problems with members registering

Post by Robin1966 October 20th 2014, 4:57 pm

Is there any reason why some people should experience problems registering on a forum? For example, this is one message I had from someone (who I've now got on to the forum by alternative means using an email I set up for them) who tried to register but couldn't:

"When you originally mentioned it I tried to join but it wouldn't let me. When I tried again this evening it said my user name was already taken. Tried to log in using what I had set up previously and no luck."

I had a phone call one afternoon from another member of our group who tried to register on the forum and couldn't. I then got a message from another member of our group, who sent this to me by email:

"Can't log on, it lets me "open file" but will not take me to the next stage, step 2. Keeps coming up that there is an unwanted program and it will not let me continue, help!"

I am also aware that there is another chap wanting to register but is also having problems and there may be others.

This is what I currently have under the Users Options setting, is there something else I need to do here?

Default automatic login status : Yes No Problems with members registering Question2 New accounts activation : No activation User Admin Problems with members registering Question2 Confirmation code : Yes No Send notify e-mail on new user registrations : None Moderator Admin Problems with members registering Question2 Allow new members : Yes No Allow members to unsubscribe : Yes No Problems with members registering Question2 Time in minutes before a member is considered "Offline" : Limit = 60 Allow guests to vote : Yes No Problems with members registering Question2 Colorize usernames : Yes No No Groups All members Allow users to change their username : Yes No Allow users to change their e-mail address : Yes No Allow friends/foes management : Yes No
    JUST THIS MINUTE - Just discovered an option to make some of them active, via admin activation in 'Inactive Users' but I am confused as to why they couldn't have done this themselves
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51498
    Language : English

In progress Re: Problems with members registering

Post by SLGray October 20th 2014, 5:01 pm

"Can't log on, it lets me "open file" but will not take me to the next stage, step 2. Keeps coming up that there is an unwanted program and it will not let me continue, help!"

I do not understand the "open file" part.

So all the members who contacted you were in the Inactive List?

Problems with members registering Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    Robin1966
    Forumember

Post by Robin1966 October 20th 2014, 5:08 pm

All but one (the chap you mentioned above saying about the 'open file' bit). I don't understand that either. There was about five or six that ended up in there, but the other ten to fifteen chaps have registered and got on the forum straight away with no problems at all.... so not sure what is going on there
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51498
    Language : English

Post by SLGray October 20th 2014, 5:11 pm

The ones that had trouble do they have the same email provider?

Last edited by SLGray on October 20th 2014, 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Problems with members registering Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    Robin1966
    Forumember

Post by Robin1966 October 20th 2014, 5:40 pm

That's a good question, I will ask