The forum of the forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The forum of the forums
2 posters

CNAME almost there but ..

GregoryBaskin
    GregoryBaskin

Language : English

In progress CNAME almost there but ..

Post by GregoryBaskin March 27th 2015, 7:54 am

My intent is to forward goldenbayforum.co.nz to http://goldenbay.forumotion.co.nz/.

Using the Classic DNS Manager at godaddy, under CNAME (Alias) I have

host = www
    Points to = goldenbay.forumotion.co.nz

But, back at the forum admin, when I attempt to add goldenbayforum.co.nz to the Personalized domain name field (http://goldenbay.forumotion.co.nz/admin/index.forum?part=general&sub=general&mode=park&page=perso&extended_admin=1&tid=625f109169813db2ab96ea98a4d310d6) I see this error:

The supplied domain name is not well configured
    You have no CNAME redirecting to : goldenbay.forumotion.co.nz
    You have configured a A type DNS ( A type redirects to an IP address, and not to a textual domain name like the CNAME )

Screen shots attached.

CNAME almost there but .. Screen10

CNAME almost there but .. Screen11
    GregoryBaskin
    GregoryBaskin

In progress Re: CNAME almost there but ..

Post by GregoryBaskin March 31st 2015, 5:55 am

I continue to not see success in forwarding my domain name to my forum. Although I have successfully created a 301 redirect from godaddy it appears, according to the documentation, that I also need to do something with the CNAME. Unfortunately the instructions there (http://goldenbay.forumotion.co.nz/admin/index.forum?part=general&sub=general&mode=park&page=perso&extended_admin=1&tid=2c7a63897f000f6e129b091605795bc7) confuse me. 

Specifically, it appears that I am supposed to do something with sub-domains there in the CNAME area. But that is where I feel lost. I will be grateful for any assistance.
    GregoryBaskin
    GregoryBaskin

Post by GregoryBaskin March 31st 2015, 11:53 pm

This is now working propertly, so it appears what I did at godaddy re 301 redirect was sufficient. Any tinkering in CNAME wasn't necessary.

However, attempting to be a good doobie and adding my custom domain name at General > Forum Address > Personalized Domain Name still shows this error:

The supplied domain name is not well configured
    You have no CNAME redirecting to : goldenbay.forumotion.co.nz
    You have configured a A type DNS ( A type redirects to an IP address, and not to a textual domain name like the CNAME )
    Shadow
    Shadow
    Manager
    Manager

Male Posts : 16208
    Language : French, English

Post by Shadow April 1st 2015, 10:57 am

Hello

If you get this error that means, you made a mistake while configuring the Cname

I advise you to start from the begenning. There are three information to enter
    1- Time to live: 

Indicate your users will get in cache your pages. Choose a long period of time (around 15 days is enough)

2- Name:
    It is the particle is the domain. For example:
    name.your_domain.uk

If you want to have your forum on www.your_domain.uk, in that case the name =www
    If you want to have your forum on forum.your_domain.uk, in that case the name = forum.... etc

3- Value:
    It is the url targetted, the url of your forum

You can watch the following video:

The video is on French but I think you'll be able to understand the main idea.

Regards