Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
5 posters

Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install

Dr Jay
    Dr Jay
    Forumember

Male Posts : 92
    Language : English

Solved Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install

Post by Dr Jay Sun 12 Feb - 4:56

Technical Details

Forum version : #phpBB3
    Position : Founder
    Concerned browser(s) : Other
    Who the problem concerns : All members
    When the problem appeared : Recently
    Forum link : http://www.geekpolice.net

Description of problem

Hello there,

My forum has bought the SSL certificate via credits management system on February 3, 2017; however, although the status on the Summary says the certificate is enabled until February 3, 2018, the actual forum is not HTTPS secure yet. I did notice that I do not have the ability to configure the SSL Certificate yet, so am I missing something? The delay is okay for a few days, but many days is unexpected. I would appreciate either an explanation or investigation.
    Jucarese
    Jucarese
    Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2539
    Language : spanish

Solved Re: Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install

Post by Jucarese Sun 12 Feb - 14:02

Hello, did you click on the modify button?

Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install 11110
    Enabling SSL Certificate (HTTPS):In administration panel --->Misc--- summary and synthesis ---> SSL certificate is active until 03 Feb 2018 .----> Modify
    Dr Jay
    Dr Jay
    Forumember

Post by Dr Jay Mon 13 Feb - 22:47

Hello there,

There is no modify button available, which means the installation right now is delayed: http://prntscr.com/e8dea0
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 51497

Post by SLGray Mon 13 Feb - 22:54

Did you purchase your domain name through Forumotion?

Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
    Never post your email in public.
    Ape
    Ape
    Administrator
    Administrator

Male Posts : 19324
    Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

Post by Ape Mon 13 Feb - 22:59

You are right you have paid for it and it's not added to your account i will make a report about this as your paying for something and it's now running down with out getting the new address.

Update:
    I see that @SLGray has already made a report i just added to it Wink

Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install Left1212Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install Center11Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install Right112
    Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install Ape_b110
    Time Lapsing for SSL Certificate Install Ape1010
    Dr Jay
    Dr Jay
    Forumember

Post by Dr Jay Mon 13 Feb - 23:09

The original owner did purchase through Forumotion, and then it was transferred. So, it would be a custom domain in the end.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray Mon 13 Feb - 23:09

Yes.  I have reported it, but I was also asking about the domain name.  I was thinking maybe the domain name could be causing the issue.

Dr Jay
    Dr Jay
    Forumember

Post by Dr Jay Mon 13 Feb - 23:16

The one who owns the domain manages the domain through GoDaddy.com (We are both owners of the site). That will explain that little bit, is that either the full domain was bought through Forumotion and transferred to the other owner, or the domain name was bought and used as custom domain for Forumotion.

It was available to be changed on February 3; therefore, it's when I purchased it. However, the custom domain functionality wasn't until February 8 enabled for all other Forumotion forums. Therefore, it is possible that something was mixed up in this process.

On the Spend page, SSL certificate disappeared, and there is no button for modifying it on the Summary page. However, as you saw on the screenshot, the forum address still says
    Code:
    HTTP:

If this is not the explanation you need, please fully explain what is being requested here. I will be back later tonight for further reply. Thanks for everyone's time so far! Smile
    The Godfather
    The Godfather
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by The Godfather Tue 14 Feb - 11:43

Dr Jay wrote:

Technical Details

Forum version : #phpBB3
    Position : Founder
    Concerned browser(s) : Other
    Who the problem concerns : All members
    When the problem appeared : Recently
    Forum link : http://www.geekpolice.net

Description of problem

Hello there,

My forum has bought the SSL certificate via credits management system on February 3, 2017; however, although the status on the Summary says the certificate is enabled until February 3, 2018, the actual forum is not HTTPS secure yet. I did notice that I do not have the ability to configure the SSL Certificate yet, so am I missing something? The delay is okay for a few days, but many days is unexpected. I would appreciate either an explanation or investigation.

Hello,

As a reminder: the SSL option is availabke of every Forumotion forums with or without personalized domain name acquired from Forumotion service. It's not possible to install an SSL certificate on a forum with an external domain name (CNAME) because we do not have control on the domain.

You have an external domaine name http://www.geekpolice.net on your forum that's why you can not have the SSL on the forum. You have to delate the CNAME to be able to activate your SSL

Please read this tutorial : SSL Certificate: Guide for a success forum migration to HTTPS
    Dr Jay
    Dr Jay
    Forumember

Post by Dr Jay Tue 14 Feb - 20:17

Therefore, the problem cannot be solved?

Deleting the CNAME would almost certainly cause Forumotion's services to no longer port through the custom domain name, correct?

I need that explained to me, otherwise it would be a wise idea to please either refund the order for SSL certificate or deposit same amount of credits into GeekPolice.net account.

I'm not exactly sure how to secure it by SSL; however, I will probably ask the owner of the domain to add a SSL certificate to his account to be used for this site.

However, I will give this three days to fully resolve before asking him; unless there are step-by-step instructions given to me based on deleting the CNAME, but still having services rendered through the custom external domain name.

If the process could not be completed in the first place, then it should have just been reversed.

I would not complain if the geekpolice.forumotion.com domain would work with HTTPS, but even then, I cannot modify or utilize any of the SSL services.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray Tue 14 Feb - 20:46

When you purchase a domain name through someone else, you can not use the SSL certificate option.  It only works on normal Forumotion domain names and domain names you purchase through your administration panel. 

Yes, deleting the CNAME means removing the domain name.

Dr Jay
    Dr Jay
    Forumember

Post by Dr Jay Tue 14 Feb - 21:49

For my type of forum, people's file information on their PCs, personal information, and other info is exposed in HTTP communications; therefore, I will talk to the owner of the domain and ask him for us to work out a deal to purchase a certificate through the GoDaddy CA and do it that way. That part is now solved > "Works for me."

I can understand the time it took for them to figure this situation out when attempting to configure the CA to the domain; therefore, the credits refund is not necessary. I was quite confused, however, because almost all of the updates pointed back to the same original announcement, and I thought it was possible then to install the CA cert. on the domain. I was not informed of other tutorials, which is the result of the misinformation. Because of being misinformed, paying for 500 credits was a waste.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray Tue 14 Feb - 22:43

The announcement exactly stated it:
    Forumotion wrote:Phase 2: Transition to HTTPS will be possible for forums located on the main Forumotion domains and having a custom domain name acquired via Forumotion.

Dr Jay
    Dr Jay
    Forumember

Post by Dr Jay Wed 15 Feb - 0:24

Sorry, I would not consider that as exactly stating that. I think through these things.

The Godfather wrote:Phase 3: Transition to HTTPS will be possible for all other forums.
    ☞Can easily cause confusion.

Source: https://help.forumotion.com/t150481-new-ssl-certificates-are-now-available-for-forumotion-forums-possibility-to-run-forums-in-https

The Godfather wrote:Now, every Forumotion forum without exception can purchase a SSL certificate and switch to HTTPS !

No matter if your forum his hosted on your main domains or not, or if you have a custom domain name or not: you will ALL be able to purchase a SSL certificate and have a secure URL in HTTPS.

☞Deceiving.

Source: https://help.forumotion.com/t150693-new-ssl-certificates-are-now-available-for-every-forumotion-forums

This tutorial: https://help.forumotion.com/t150650-ssl-certificate-guide-for-a-success-forum-migration-to-https - Should have been explicitly referenced, along with "If any externally obtained domain is registered for a Forumotion forum, we're sorry, but we will not be able to help you migrate to a SSL certificate."

When it comes to monetary matters, such things need to be explicitly noted... to which, since it deceived me and the others on my development team, there is a way to solve it... However, it appears that the request for refund will be ignored anyway, which is why I said to not worry about it.

If there is no reason to leave the topic open anymore, this is considered solved.

Thanks for everyone's time.
    SLGray
    SLGray
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SLGray Wed 15 Feb - 4:41

Problem solved & topic archived.
    Please read our forum rules: ESF General Rules